1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help Decide My Life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by New12345, Dec 26, 2016.

1. New12345

New12345 New IL'ite

Please give me a good advice according to your knowledge and experience. My decision and life completely relies on what you suggest me

I m 27 years old.
    1) I belong to lower middle class family from India. Have a younger sister.
    I Studied B.Tech.Then,worked for 3 years in IT. Got married(arranged). Came to USA with him on H4. I must say here, I didnt like to marry a guy who works outside of India, because right from my 10 years age I m in hostel. So, I dont want to live away from my parents. But "fate and situtaion" had differnt plans and I agreed for this marraige.

2) My husband left to Usa after 2 weeks of marraige. He never called himself to me at anytime to talk with me casually before or after marraige. Yes, its the bitter truth. He never called me. Its me who called and messaged him always. So, i got that he is not actually interested in me but he married as because of the, i think, "society". His family is far less than financially settled than us. when i went to inlaws house just to stay for few days before going to usa, my inlaws verbally abused me infront of their all other relatives to handover all the financial property which comes under dowry to them. I literally cried,later because I was afraid of how my future is gonna turn. There
    was no benefit even informing to my husband regarding their parents "words" because, by then i knew, he got married to mebecause he wanted money.

3) After coming to US,by now, after 3 years of marraige, I have gone through a lot of physical abuse,assault in just talking for the truth,fearlessly. For Ex: Once he asked me, "when is your father going to give us the property because, he wont live for another 50 years". !!! I resisted. Then he started to beat me like anything.A part of it is, he slapped me with his two hands on my two cheeks vigorously for 4,5 times continuosly. And then he did a lot.

He slapped another time. He twists my hand if he gets angry and lot many other I wont even remember while writing this. There is a lot of verbal and physical abuse. And I m sure there is no end for it until I live with him. He once beat me and kicked me on my back while I was sleeping on floor, in India at his home in front of his parents and his parents encouraged him and abused me.

4) I informed to my parents but they are in a fear that if they say something he might leave me and I have a younger sister to get married yet. So, I m , everyday,evry minute I m living in fear that what might happen if I say something. Being a educated am living like my own hell. I donnot like my life like this. No, not at all. So before 20 days again he started abusing me, then i booked for aappointment with divorce lawyer and went to him. They explained all my rights, but I didnt proceed in filing or anything. He knows that I have seen a lawyer.

5) Now, what i ever wanted was, having a kid before i turn 30. But I donot like to have him(my so called, husband) in my life. I feel there is nothing to share between us. But, talking about sex life, we are good. There is no problem with that for both of us. Its like, just we are satisfying both our needs.
    What I want is a life partner, who can share my thoughts and feelings. I hope I can still get a job on my own and would like to start a new life. I have two options now.Please choose one as your answer and guide me and tell me if I am wrong.

a) Living this life with my husband like this and accepting it as it is and get job and try to find happiness in that and then gradually having a baby and spending time with her. Because after seeing this type of behaviour from Indian husband, I dont think I can trust another person so soon, if I end this marraige, and having a kid and having marital life would be a dream and I fear i might die alone.

b) Put an end to this life and get divorced and go out and live happily with freedom because I m still 27, and I have a lot of life ahead of me. Because if i have a kid in future and cant go away from this person, then I might keep cursing myself for making my life myself hell.

I m mind boggling myself with both of the above options. Once I feel its good to go with
    option a. After sometime i feel to go with option b. Please suggest. Because my whole life and everything depends on this decision as you see.

2. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

OP,

option a. will not let you live in peace. From what you describe, you will have a son not a daughter. Be careful, your husband might use your future kid(assuming that you do have an offspring with him) as a bait to get from you, what he could not get so far. You might be thinking you can leave or he will turn around after the kid, both will not happen. Even if you leave, you will not be in peace for the kid will certainly want to live with both the parents or you would have to turn the kid's mind against the father at a young age - are you prepared for all of that? If you keep getting stronger you might be able to manage till the end but everyday will be a race for you, at no point can you take a breather, you can never "settle" down. Everyday you will have to live for the moment thwarting his attacks - against yourself and your would be kids. After all this, you would still live in the fear that he will make an exit some day.

option b. the worst that may happen is heartbreak and celibacy for life-long, but it will be just you who will be miserable, but everyone else will be fine, you don't have to deal with anything other than loneliness.

You think carefully which option is better for you and decide. The fact that you are thinking of a child, of a future, itself is an indication that you don't want to leave, but be warned that nothing is easy. Talk to your parents before making any decision.

Shreema86 and New12345 like this.
  3. New12345

New12345 New IL'ite

Thanks Bruised234, for your reply, that means a lot to me. My desire to have a kid is not associated with him. Its my wish to have one. Even if I leave him, I would like to adopt a child(but I m not sure right now, about how mature I am to raise a kid all alone with society pressure "of adopted child and my parents views"). But, its a different thing. It doesnt mean I want to stay with him.

And regarding my parents - what help can i expect from them, who remained tight lipped, when they knew all the torture I am going through.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  4. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

In that case OP, don't think of all these, first try to get a job, in India, it might not be easy, but abroad you have lots of options, concentrate and invest all your energies on getting the job, if you have worked for 3 years already that experience will be of some use, and since you are on H4 and it is legal to work on H4 as well, provided your husband gets his I140, you can try, if not try to go to a consultant, seek your parents' help in that matter. I would say get a job somehow, that will help you take your mind off this personal problem and also give you some clarity on your future. Don't think about kids or separation right now. Pray that you get a decent job as soon as possible so that your burden is lightened.

New12345 likes this.
  5. New12345

New12345 New IL'ite

Yes, what you said is true. Will try in that aspect. Thanks a lot for your time and inputs bruised234.

6. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

My vote would be option b for reasons you have yourself elucidated so clearly.

Put an end to this life and get divorced and go out and live happily with freedom because I m still 27, and I have a lot of life ahead of me. Because if i have a kid in future and cant go away from this person, then I might keep cursing myself for making my life myself hell.

The only bright spot you have going on in your life is ironically the lack of a child in the picture. Capitalise on this freedom and begin the process NOW to get going.The longer you wait the less likely you will leave. And a brief period of calm may cloud your decision making and you may end up staying in a marriage where more violence cannot be ruled out.

You will be able to have a child as you still have a good 10 years to do so. Leave before you run out of time to find a man or have a baby.

Shreema86 and nakshatra1 like this.
  7. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

I hate the guts of parents here.. they look out for an allaince, get u married n now dont support u??? Didnt they do their homework before getting u married off? Wats the point in educating the girls, showing them the better world and then dumping into dungeon??

Demand ur parents!! Ask them for a solution and make them support u by all means. Dont let the same happen to ur sis.. preach her to choose a husband wisely. No point in depending on parents for arranged marriage..

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP ,please don't have a child with this man.Every child deserves a good man as a father.

You are only 27...you have your whole life ahead of you.Do you want to spend it with this man?

If he abuses you in America...call 911.
    If he abuses you in India....call police and file domestic violence case against him .
    Don't worry about his career .....he is an adult.He knows physically abusing his wife can lead to jail time.If he doesn't care ,why should you?
    My advice-Collect proof and make an exit plan .

NeetaR, Shreema86, nakshatra1 and 2 others like this.
  9. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

(b)
    You have the answer. Save yourself dear OP, you are worth it. You'll have a good life if you give yourself a chance. You deserve more than this. Don't wait for anyone to help or support you. Walk out.

Other posters have given good advice. Please please please listen.

All the best. Take care. Hugs.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  10. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

option B.. and demand your parents support.. as Yogirl mentioned.
    being with this kind of person with rest of the life is not needed. next time he raises hand on you, call the police.

songbird46 likes this.