1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Theatre Of The Absurd??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I certainly am not a machine hating Luddite. I am quite comfortable with some of the electronic/electrical gizmos, say I can switch on the light, fan, AC, TV etc. I can make a call from the numbers in my mobile’s phone book (though I can’t send SMSes) and I have no clue what an APP means .So it is hardly surprising I have serious trouble with automatic dispensing machines like the ones that spit out soft drinks and packaged chips at airport where the vile machines have cheated me of money.

So imagine my anger and irritation when I found the counters closed at a metro station and instead two ticket vending machines winking at me at Delhi’s Mayur Vihar metro station! When I boarded the train from my home station for Mayur Vihar earlier, I had no clue that such a coup of dispensing machines was taking place. There was a PYT at the counter who gave me my metro token.

But the return journey home was a culture shock when on my return journey I found two ticket dispensing machines winking at me and not a PYT. No don’t get ideas, I didn’t mean the PYTs at the counters used to wink at me. I just mean they weren’t there.

I was totally at a loss how to get my token. Mercifully there was a metro staffer in front of one of the machines who did that for me. But the theatre of the absurd didn’t end there. When I tried to enter the automatic gate for proceeding towards the platform, the gate wouldn’t open when I placed the token on the sensor. Then I had to go back to a customer service counter and the guy there performed some sleight of hand tricks on his computer and told me to go and make the sensor read my token. This time it mercifully did.

If the sensor needed some flip flops by the guy at the counter, why the hell do we need the machines there? I could have bought the token from the customer service counter instead? There is where I used to get them when the ticket counters are closed (When the PYTs there are out gossiping or shopping).

And the show continued. At my destination I found that the token did not fit in the slot at the exit gate. I again had to go to the customer service guy and crib. Another performance on the computer keyboard and the token finally dropped into the slot and the gates opened for me.

Moral: Human token dispensers can do the job far more efficiently, particularly PYTs. We need to advance in lot of priority areas say like education and healthcare. We neglect them and instead flaunt automations at metro stations to show our technical muscle. Governance has become an absurdist drama in this country.

2. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

Many struggles as a Nation
    We sure do hack.
    Two steps forward,
    But 10 tumbles back...

PavithraS likes this.
  3. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

Everyday in every way my government helps to build my character. Struggle makes one a better person, right? :oops:

Have you seen the increase in the number of Stand-up Indian comedians? The theatre of the absurd that is our daily life gives them much of the fodder, I think.

4. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

@Balajee,enjoyed your snippet, though the experience wasn't very fun for you!

Balajee likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

You are living in arguably IT capital or automation capital of the world! In the present world, if the word "smart" is found in front of a phone, light, toilet, etc., the citizens also need to scale up to meet the expectations. Be careful and learn the basic skills in automation. Remember, I read a recent report that a Robot smashed a human until he turned blue and other humans interrupted. Who knows, all those customer service employees may set up a robot for those who lack knowledge in automation. :)

Viswa

beautifullife30 likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Songbird.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Smart in front of toilet Viswa? That is scary. What do smart toilets do? Don't let you get up if you forget to flush?

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

If you go to New York city, you will find smart toilets for public use. It has electronics in it with a remote. It has heating adjusted seat, lifts seat on its own and cleans the seat after every use. The new OVE Smart toilet costs approximately $ 3,295 and has massaging wash, self cleaning nozzle, antibacterial, Deodorizer, warm water wash, heated seat, dryer, auto-flush, remote control, etc.

Viswa

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Wow! At this rate we would soon have toilets that administer enema to constipated people. Indian TVs also have ads about a smart toilet but I have no idea how smart that Indian toilet is.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji
    Computers r soon replacing pyt and that is sad.
    I hvnt been in metro here so can't comment.I prefer human touch personally