1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Stay Focused At Work

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Dec 12, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

my mind wanders a lot at work.

At end of day I feel guilty for not getting enough done.

I regularly request feedback meetings with boss (once every two weeks). Even though he explain something I feel I dont absorb it 100% ...

At end of week I voluntarily send boss a report of all the things I'm working on and how far I came. usually on Fri I forget do I send it in Monday.

Perhaps I should set goals and deadlines for myself (we dont have them where I work, i.e. local government).

I got MP3 player that has meditation music. will keep that on (with headphones of course) while I work.

And I love to chat a lot ... need to cut Down on the office talking .,,,

ladies how do you keep focused in office and accomplish more things in less time?

2. bravo1809

bravo1809 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ChennaiExpress

My previous role demanded a lot from me. I am in a new role now and in the beginning I used to get headaches :BangHead: as I didn't have much to do. I wanted to move but then stuck on due to personal reasons. What I am trying to say is each organisation is different. If its relaxed where you work enjoy while it lasts and achieve your personal goals. Since its not busy where I work I finish everything and then browse or study in my free time. Are you getting behind with your work? If not I would say concentrate on other things. I am doing my ACCA papers. So I prepare notes and read at work.

Love to u and stay blessed.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  3. Autumn10

Autumn10 Senior IL'ite

@ChennaiExpress ,

You are quiet lucky if you do not have much of a work load .If that is the case, you can start studying in free time and appear for certification exams or any skill enhancement training.It will definitely help enhance your profile.

I will also suggest staying away from social media like FB ,whatsapp in office hours. On android there is an app called "Greenify" which lets you shut these apps until you explicitly start them.This has helped me from getting distracted with unnecessary notifications and stay focused at work.

all the best!

4. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Its not uncommon to get distracted at work.
    If someone says that they are able to concentrate every day to their full potential and giving 100% then its a lie.
    But my way of concentrating at work is to remind myself how hard I worked to get a job after a career break.
    How much effort I put in to prepare my resume, talk to the agencies and stressed out about interviews
    How happy I felt when I got that email - Offer letter.
    How much I prayed and thanked God for this job.

So every time I lose my concentration beyond a reasonable time, I ask myself, "You know how hard you worked to be wearing this tag and sitting in this chair - doing what you love to do - with a pay that you anticipated for. Are you ready to go through all that stress and struggle all over again, because, if you do not concentrate, that's what is gonna happen. You have a choice - work and continue to be happy or fool around and welcome the job loss and get ready to struggle once again"

sangeethakripa and MNR like this.
  5. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Be Aware of yourself.

Now onwards, keep track of your distractions. What thoughts come in to play? IS it FB? Whatsapp? Mesages or phonecalls? Friends, family? Write them down on a piece of paper as soon as you notice them. If it is the external distractions - FB, Whatsapp, gossip, shut them down. If it is your thoughts - focus on what thought was it. Like if it was something your mom said, you didn't particularly like - jot it down. Mind you, NOT a story, just a word or so. If it is some errand you need to get done, jot it down. Once it is on your paper, it will be out of your mind. Do this a few times, and soon you will be self aware, enough to bring you back to your work.

TRy the "pomodoro" technique - where you work for 25 mins, take a 5 minute break this repeats until you have completed four 25 minutes sessions and then you get a longer break for say 15 minutes. Only during the 15 minute break, allow yourself to socialize. There are apps for this or you can just google it and you will get 'pomodoro' online tool.

Good luck

ChennaiExpress and Vaikuntha like this.
  6. happyperson

happyperson Gold IL'ite

@ChennaiExpress - I used to do a lots of time pass at work in my previous work places. major reason for that, was the work there was not sufficient to keep me busy. the whole environment was lathargic. first be happy that your work is not pressuring , but remember one thing if you be in such an environment for extended periods you are going to get outdated .

You need to come with lots of self discipline . first ask yourself what you want to achieve . set short term and long term professional and personal goals. come up with a plan, stick to it . do your best , learn from your set backs. be your own manager, even if nobody is questioning you.

Definitely fb,WA is a no no during work. they drain your time and energy. set some time for it, lunch breaks or so. if somebody needs to reach you urgent , they can call you .

I am now in a very demanding work place . I start each day with my tasks to do and finish my day with a sense of accomplishment.

Good luck !

EnlightenedSoul likes this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

Thank you for all replies ... will give detailed response in next day or so (was quite busy today!)

8. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Try to do in ur not so productive ( free ) time :p

1. Certifications
    2. Training - u can plan to give others or u can plan to take on other technologies ( Assumption u r working in IT )
    3. U can prepare work around short cuts for ur work which well help to work faster in busy days.
    4. Organize ur desk
    5. Arrange ur mail box
    6. take up some one's else work.. made sure ur boss know abt that ..
    7. help others wioth their work ( kinda socializing )
    8. prepare utlities for ur project
    9. learn about ur project/product ( again assumption u r working in IT )

hope this helps

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. ChennaiExpress

It is relatively relaxed since it's local government. To me, it's self-paced professional development. No deadlines, but if there is urgency matter (which is rare), then the task becomes first priority.

Oh I deleted my FB, Whatsapp, and other social media!

I usually browse Internet for Arts and Crafts, our Toastmasters website, Tribune India, or something light-hearted.

That's so true.

That is so true .......

Now I wear headphones even if I am not listening to any music just so I can focus on the work at hand. Or to avoid silly interruptions.

Well, I like to talk to people, I like to be social.

Before, I used to start talking to co-workers nearby (who have light workloads, or are simply underemployed).

Now when I get the urge to talk I try to do something else (get self-fulfillment, rather than interaction from other people)

I like pomodoro ---- will try that on especially tough days!

Yes! Social Media simply drains your soul because you think "why can't I talk to these people in real life"

Wow! Quite helpful.

1. I'd like to go for advanced IT certifications. I used to do this years before, and would like to get back into the swing of things.

2. Right now, I am mentor for inter-organization training. These sessions are twice a year, and one of them is coming up in Jan. Hopefully I can mentor others to take certification I cleared, which will pave a way for me to study for advanced exams.

3. Need to figure this out

4. You know, it's time I do clean up my desk. Bet I can throw away 80% of the things.

5. Oh God yes, it is so cluttered!!!!!

6/7. And I love love love to socialize. Once I clear my plate, will help others with their projects (with boss's knowledge, of course!)

8. What do you mean by utilities for project?

9. Oh yes! I'm hoping to do presentations on technologies we are working on. Right now I scheduled them for ever 3 months. Hoping to close the gap.

Thank you all so much for your advice!

10. simpleglam

simpleglam New IL'ite

To add to their advice, Staying focus is simply knowing your priorities. Self discipline is important too.