1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @bravo1809
    Shall I make a suggestion.
    If you have been getting up at 6:30 am, then if you wake up at 5 am suddenly you are depriving yourself 1.5 hours of important sleep. Your body will revolt.

Trying getting up 10 minutes early for about a week or two so that your body will not notice the change.
    Slowly work your waking up time to where you want it.
    Also make sure you go to bed earlier.

Do not deprive yourself sleep - you will gain weight if you sleep less than what your body needs.

Use a calendar and make a plan.
    Best wishes.

bravo1809, coffeecups and Madhumagie like this.
  2. Mario123

Mario123 Gold IL'ite

I find this point right. Also I would like to add that wen we are using refridgerared food, it should be brought to normal or near normal temparature then processed or cooked. Heating it in microwave to bring to normal temparature causes sudden fluctuation in temp which can cause loss of nutrients. Same applies for keeping hot food in fridge. Sudden temparature changes should be avoided.

Dear k mam, thanks for the nice motivating thread and thanks to all posters for great contributions.

kkrish likes this.
  3. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Was away over the weekend and came back with a splitting headache..that lasted a whole day. Yesterday just cleaned pooja room and lit lamps. After a good night's sleep, feeling refreshed today. Was planning to visit ils and go and by veggies evening but it has started raining. Will see how it goes.

And hats off to all the lovely women who are managing to do so much. I feel I am more productive when I wake up early but I am too lazy to budge before 8am. And if I wake up early (6.30), I feel so sleepy in the afternoon. Will try KK's suggestion of waking just 10 mins early for the rest of this week.

kkrish likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

HI @Mario123

Welcome to the thread.

Thank you for your input regarding refrigeration.
    You have also provided some information on how to handle refrigerated food which I think many will find useful.

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

All

My above comment to mario123's post will be the last on “to refrigerate or not”.

It is not my intention to prove anyone wrong.

I am respectful of different beliefs, irrespective of whether I support that belief or not.

Especially here, a mother strongly believes her child’s health had improved by not using refrigerated food. I respect @dc24 's sentiments and do not wish to undermine that in any way.

One more. I am not against Ayurveda at all. In fact I follow many Ayurveda remedies that I believe are logical and practical to current lifestyles.

However, I also find that out there many make spurious claims in the name of Ayurveda without any logic and many place baseless blames anything west.

This explosion of claims confuses me, not knowing which are legitimate and which are just to promote sensationalism; and many inject unnecessary fear factor too.

That is the only reason why I do not just believe whatever people say and ask for proof/validation.

Regards

justanothergirl and dc24 like this.
  6. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

Thank you @kkrish, @coolgal123 , @bravo1809 for your kind words and positivism. It is an overwhelming schedule but it is what gives me peace of mind. I have to give credit to my parents and my friends parents as well, as I grew up seeing them work as a family and balance it all, so this seemed like the norm to me. I am lucky that DH feels the same and is very supportive
    Yesterday schedule -
    Wake up, bath and got to kitchen by 5:30 AM.
    1st burner - rice, dhal (for kootu), mixed dhal (for a bean soup) in cooker
    2nd burner - 2 eggs boiled for kids breakfast
    3rd burner - few pieces of broccoli boiled for kids lunch and our snack for work
    4th burner - cook cabbage-carrot-peas together for the kootu
    While these were getting done I was unloading the dishwasher, made a coconut-chili-ginger paste for the kootu, coconut-roasted peanut-chili for chutney, cilantro-chili-ginger-garlic-tamarind paste for mixing with rice (I use the same jar and grind it in the mentioned order)
    Moved the cooker to cool down and used the 1st burner to saute the cilantro paste for rice
    Once I could open the cooker, I took the rice, dhal etc out and put idli plates in it to steam
    Don't remember the sequence after this but I added dhal & ground paste to the kootu, peeled eggs, mixed atta for chapathi for dinner and then used one vessel to do tadka for everything - my soup, cabbage kootu, chutney
    By 6:30 AM I had all our boxes out of the dishwasher and started packing
    DH - 4 boxes - BF (Idli,chutney), Lunch (rice, kootu) & curd in a separate box, Semi-cooked broccoli and earlier cut-up cucumber for snack
    Me - 4 boxes - Same as DH except that I took the soup and kootu for lunch as rice at work makes me too sleepy
    Kids - 3 boxes - 1 packed last night with crackers, fruit & cheese for afternoon snack, 2nd with Semi-cooked broccoli and earlier cut-up cucumber for morning snack and 3rd with idli and ghee
    Around 6:45 AM started cleaning up the counter space, put the egg-half a cup of milk & 2 pieces of strawberry on the dinning table for the kids and went to get ready
    Kids were out of bed and getting ready, helped them finish up after some cuddles and sent my older one down to get started on breakfast.
    I got ready and came down with my younger one. Husband had made coffee for both of us. Jacket-boots, coffee to go and out the door with my first one at 7:15 AM. Kid finished egg & strawberry on the car ride and I had my coffee while driving. Dropped kid1 at school at 7:40 AM and reached work at 8 AM. DH cleaned up the kitchen sink while waiting for kid2 to finish breakfast and left home around 7:45 AM.
    DH was back home with kids around 4:30 PM, gave them snack and I got back around 5:30 PM. Freshened up, made a quick payasam, vadai - did prayer and lighted lamps for karthigai at 6:30 PM. Dinner at 7 PM - chapathi, kootu, rice and curd. While I was getting the dinner and neyvedyam ready DH loaded all our boxes in the dishwasher, washed fruits for today with the help of kids. By 8 PM kitchen was wrapped-up (a little later than usual due to special cooking). Reading time, story time, bed time routine done and kids went to bed at 9 PM. Tried to study till 10 PM but by 9:30 PM eyes just wouldn't stay open so just went to bed. Hope to get more studying done today.

kkrish, girvani, coffeecups and 2 others like this.
  7. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Your schedule is really motivating

8. simpleglam

simpleglam New IL'ite

Time management is a matter of setting up your goals and which ranks first on your list. Know your priorities and do things one at a time.

9. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone,

So nice to read all updates. Really motivating, This is my third attempt to update. Yesterday whole day, logged in read the upates, will start typing, something else crops up and then this is will be left. Today i decided to update.

Nice to know lots of silent readers are there.,

@mriduna , u r awesome . Omg, what a schedule u have. Amazed and inspired. Happy that u look forward for my updates. This will motivate me to post regularly.

My routine is also similar to yours, Except i am a homemaker (by choice and also bit of compulsion). DH is serving the nation by guarding the oceans , so ours is transferable job. Every two years we move. So can't concentrate in career. DH helps, when he gets time. Can't depend on him. My mind is set to handle things alone, if he helps it is a bonus for me.

Last two days was chaotic in the sense, cyclone in chennai, parents, inlaws and other relatives there. Husband travelling . No power, and no mobile network there. So had to keep a tab on them and coordinating. But my routine was happening, i had do little more thats all.

I wake up early , finish my work from time to time, so that i get time for walks, spend time for myself - reading, painting, catch up with friends etc And once kids r back i have to be on toes. I can't concentrate on other work. So i keep myself free for them. Though twins they r extremely different characters.

take care girls.

shara

kkrish likes this.
  10. anupamag

anupamag Gold IL'ite

GM friends,

My schedule for today:

Woke up at 5.30
    Prepared rice and mixed it with auburgenie curry made last night and gave to DD for lunch, BF is chocos and milk for her. Had greens sambar and rice for lunch for me and DH.
    Came to office at 7.30, had an immediate call with US colleague until 8, went to BF and came back and had to close some important things. Had coffee at 10 am now and browsing IL.
    Looking forward for weekend...so cold and gloomy weather, feel like sleeping the entire day.

kkrish likes this.