1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H1 ladies vs H4 homemakers

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by soccermom, Jan 15, 2008.

1. soccermom

soccermom New IL'ite

Thanks for stopping by! I agree, this was a comment on those who are not!

2. soccermom

soccermom New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for stopping by & for your replies.
    Lakshmi, this is the forum to get it all out, dont worry u r not boring us - we're interested in what the sisiterhood has to say. Bet ur hubby was surprised to see the post!
    I myself find it a great relief that I can post my thoughts here. I love what Jithiks said about treating others the way you'd like to be treated. :)
    I know the post is certainly BOLD, I really just wanted to start a dialogue that all is not hunky-dory and perfect here in USA - life is tough & your own country-men ( or ex- countrymen) show you down, unlike any other country! And then we start speaking about Indian values, blah, blah when all SOME people do is to show down there desi bretheren!
    I'd like to stress here that all H1 are not to blame, but just that there are more than just a "few" exceptions which was really surprising. Keep up with the joneses, but be nice to the desis, yaar!
    Every single H4/gc/new citizen started at the same point - and evryone knows that its a matter of time, then people will get where they are- like X years=h4 to h1, x+y years = house,etc.( after filing for GC ofcourse) - so its a timeline, deal with it, you're not doing something above your peers!
    Sorry about the long break, got busy, thanks for the replies ladies, Keep it coming!

3. keshavkutts

keshavkutts Senior IL'ite

Hi all

I agree totally on all the views above. Nandshyam is so true on "Never loose your stand or self respect and be belittled by those idiotic people. You are not lesser than them and if you get a chance make them see it. :bowdown

I enjoy being on H4 & a home maker.....I have worked for 10 years so i know what exactly what i am enjoying now. I love the quality time i am able to give my son now who thinks i am his world...he may not need me so much after a couple of years....nothing can compensate this for me...not money, career.

4. sprasanna

sprasanna Senior IL'ite

What a terrific post ! Though , i have not experienced any 'high brow' GCs or H1 holders yet, its definitely bizzare that they behave in such an absurd manner. Very few indian ladies come here on an H1 by themselves. Generally, they come on H4 or some other dependent visa. So for some years everyone has been on the same boat. Whats the point of looking down on something you yourself went through some years back ? Its crazy !

soccormom, you hit the nail on the head with this post. Dont worry, no one with brains will take offense to this post.

And yes, as nandshyam said , dont give a damn about what people say or look down their 'lofty' noses on, you be happy and tell them off if you get a chance.
    Oh yes , and if someone again asks you rudely 'how many years have you been here' ask them (very very politely of course :-D ) if they would like like to know the minutes and seconds of the stay too, apart from the years and months !!!!

Have fun.
    Cheers !

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. Riz1

Riz1 New IL'ite

I stay away from indian born physicians and their wives most fake and snobbish people what difference it makes what car we drive or what kindn o f home we have

6. geetahs

geetahs New IL'ite

hello ,
    i am in the same boat in which u all r suffer . i am agree with nandu but in one corner of my heart is also feel bad to stay home , when someone ( gc holder+ relative) told u that u r at home whole day and in us, the work is imp ,when u will get permission to start your work? u forgot your studies .you forgot your work . they act as we r jobless(layoff people ) only stay home and pass time , ya we don't have job but we want to do some job if permition will get to all of us. but may be they never get this .
    it is very difficult when your nearest relative(in laws) told u like this that at here both (husband and wife) must have income .............as they will show u as u r depending on our son's money and alll . (when the mood is out then i think like this only) .
    one more thing i will share that my mil (gc holder)calls me every day and she have only one topic only that when u get premit to do job ? u will get job in IT field with good pay ? here u both must have to get money for your future and all.....

she is true,but in our position what will i do? i am not work due to h4 . i am not enjoied my life to take break .

sorry i write which i have in mind ,

7. sprasanna

sprasanna Senior IL'ite

Hi geetahs,

why dont you explain to your mil that getting a work permit is not in your hands at all. Neither the H1B or the EAD is in your hands. H1B is a lottery these days so its a 50-50 chance you will get through , no guarantees. EAD is a long drawn process , can take 2 years to come through (if i am correct, though now its been expedited).

This is something you need to explain to her , that this is the law of this country. (You had nothing to do with it Big Laugh). Also, when you got married , your mil was obviously aware that you would come here on an H4 and would be legally not permitted to work on that visa. So where is the problem in understanding that you cannot work even if you wanted to ? Maybe you can throw the ball in her court and ask her what she would suggest you do, with the constraints of the visa :p.

Are/were you in the IT field ? Why not take a certification exam in the field you were. That will improve your chances of getting a job manyfold, when you do get the permit. Added benefit :- mil will know you value your career a lot .

Dont let the comments get to you.

Cheers !

8. geetahs

geetahs New IL'ite

dear sprasanna,
    I feel really very good that u encourage me . thanks very much to give me support . as when u feel lonely in your work at home any one tell something regarding your carrier u get charged again to do some thing .
    I told her, she knows all. but she told me always and tell me ask any one who get permit that how they get .
    i throw a ball in her side but i get reply to do any work like supply food to Indian store and start canteen for students and get start earning , but i will not do like that as its all affected my .net work and my IT field. i will give exam of .net 2008 after my preparation is complete .thanks for your reply . i do some work related to portal (just for practice purpose) .
    Yatell me about your field and about you.

9. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

Hi everybody,

My experiences are similar but a little twist in it. I am a GC holder but before that i was on H4 but as I was studying it did not matter. Now I have completed my studies though not working due to health reasons. Well coming to my point we have few friends all of the wifes are on H4 they live around 5 miles from my house (forgot to mention we own a house) they don't visit us nor call us they don't include us in any of their potlucks. For me owning a house and being a GC holder is the big problem Witsend they always say oh you are a GC holder that means you will stay here they look us as though it is a big mistake and we are thrown from our country and they are good people because they will be going back to india in 2 years (which i have been hearing from 3 years).
    I don't know how to treat them. Now is it my mistake they are on H4 not that they want a H1 but they just look down on me and don't treat me well. I have tried mingling with them when ever i try some new recipes I go to their house and give them .
    If Somebody could tell me how to treat these people I don't have many friends here. I fell very hurt when they treat me like that. Drowning

Hope you guys can understand what I am trying to say and help me.
    Thanks in advance

10. pratapa

pratapa New IL'ite

I am a newbie here! Good post , Soccermom ! I couldnt pass by without complementing this post of yours !! :)