Recipe related queries

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manju_j, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi CBI

Hi CBI,

For left over sweets, maybe you could grind them wih milk in the blender and then richen it up and serve as rabdi.

Have fun and tell us how it went.

regards
    Vidya

2. kushi

kushi New IL'ite

how was your kitty

HI CBI
    How was your kitty?
    enjoyed........... :thumbsup

3. Chilbuli Imli

Chilbuli Imli Senior IL'ite

Hello Khushi,

The kitty was amazing. I played one game balloon tower in which they had to blow the balloon and with the help of cellotape they had to stick on one anaother and make a tower. The one who had bggest tower will win. But no one could make teh tower as the moment you try to stick the balloon they would blast. It was fun. Each one of us had a good laugh. Then i had prepared 12 question riddle which i aske dto solve it. Again we enjoyed playing as we discuss each riddle and then came up with all funny answers.

The food turned out very nice. Baked bean salad was a hit. Even the soup and starter was delicious.

At the end had a very nice kitty and everyone went happy.

Thank you once agian to all of you ladies for making my kitty success.

Love

4. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Cooking with lemongrass

Dear members,
    Do you have any recipes for cooking with lemongrass?

Regards
    USHA KRISHNAN

5. cookingfun

cookingfun New IL'ite

Saboodana Khichri

I have tried so many different brands and all end up in soggy and sticky .What is the best or proper way to prepare saboodana khichri? How long you need to soak it in water?

Someone please post the best way to prepare the Saboodana Khichri.

Thanks

6. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

need to remove all starch from it

Hi,

U need to remove all starch from it first.Put it in some vessel pour water in it n wash it untill all white starch comes out of it .more u wash it more it will come out well.thn remove whole water n sprinkle few water in it n cover with lid.Every holf n hour sprinkle few water in it n mix with hand.cover n keep.Do this for 3 to 4 hrs for every half n hr.then u can take 1 sabudana n press if it is soft it can be cooked now if hard then sprinkle few more water n keep 1 hr more.

in preparation in last instead of putting more water sprinkle water n mix ur sabudana khichadi will turn great.

Try n let me know
    sonu

7. rsankar

rsankar New IL'ite

recipe with lemon grass...

Hello,

Here is the recipe with lemon grass...

http://thefeastcrusade.blogspot.com/2005/12/mutton-curry-for-from-my-rasoi-winter.html

My Mum's Mutton Curry

1-1.5kg mutton, chopped into large chunks - try to get some on the bone
    2 tbsp oil

Rempah:
    - 2 large onions, chopped
    - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
    - 3 stalks lemon grass or serai, chopped
    - 1 knob galangal or lengkuas, chopped
    3 tomatoes, chopped
    4 potatoes, chopped

Ladies fingers or okra - cut into half or thirds if they are long
    Curry paste or powder - I get mine freshly ground at the Indian spice market and they add enough chilli to keep me happy
    Salt
    Sugar
    Chicken stock
    Garam marsala:
    - 4 tbsp coriander seeds
    - 2 tbsp cumin powder
    - 1 tbsp black peppercorns
    - 2 tsp cardammon
    - 4 cinnamon sticks
    - 1 tsp cloves
    - 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
    1 tbsp mustard seeds
    1 sprig curry leaves

1. Use your mortar & pestle and pound the rempah. Trust me, it tastes better. If you have to use a food processor, blend the rempah with a little oil. Process 2/3 of the rempah till it is a fine paste. You know it is right when the onions have emitted enough juice to make it a fine, smooth paste. Process the rest but keep it a little coarser. Mix the two lots together well and keep aside.
    2. Combine your garam marsala spices but keep about 1 tsp aside while grinding the rest. You want the complexity of texture and taste here.
    3. Fry the rempah in about 2 tbsp of oil till fragrant

4. Add the garam marsala and curry powder and continue frying briskly till it is smoking! OK, till it smells so heavenly that your neighbour shows up at your gate to ask "What you cooking?"
    5. Add the mutton and fry till the meat is browned

6. Add 1/2 the tomatoes, mustard seeds, curry leaves and some chicken stock to almost cover the meat and cook on low for about 30 minutes
    7. Add salt and about 1/2 to 1 tsp of sugar to taste
    8. Add the potatoes and ladies fingers and cook till tender, probably about 30-45 minutes
    9. Serve hot with rice

Note:
    * Get mutton on the bone as the bone keeps the meat succulent despite the long cooking process. I actually like having a bit more fat on the mutton too as the fat melts into the curry and becomes these silky morsels that melt in your mouth.
    ** Try to chop all your vegetables into large chunks otherwise they will melt into mush

*** You can cook this on the crockpot as well

The curry will taste better the next day. And the next. And the next. By the time the meat and vegetables have turned to mush, add some noodles to it and you have a fantastic curry noodle dish. My grandmother used to make these for supper and I would go always go for seconds.

OK, healthwise this dish is a dud. It is not a healthy dish and it's only saving grace is that unlike Malay curries, it does not have coconut milk. I give it a 7/10 for health because all the spices are actually really good for you. Tastewise, I guess I am biased as I am tasting it with all the love for my mother in each bite. So I give it a 9/10 with a little tear on the side.

8. sdm550

sdm550 New IL'ite

What is Gulab Jamun and Rasgulla Souffle ?

Hey Dear Chilbuli,

Can you send me the receipe for "Gulab Jamun and Rasgulla Souffle ". Thanks .

BTW I am SDM, new to the forum, still taking time to know all of you. I have a 3 month old girl and I love to cook new food items.

Waiting for your response.

Regards,
    SDM

9. Chilbuli Imli

Chilbuli Imli Senior IL'ite

Gulab Jamun Recepie

Gulab Jamuns

[font=&quot]INGREDIENTS: To make 18 - 20 jamun[/font]

[font=&quot](100g) 1 cup Dried milk powder (full cream).[/font]

[font=&quot]2 tbsp melted ghee.[/font]

[font=&quot]3 tbsp plain flour.[/font]

[font=&quot]½ tsp baking powder.[/font]

[font=&quot](100ml) milk.[/font]

[font=&quot]1 tbsp almonds.[/font]

[font=&quot]1 tbsp pistachios.[/font]

[font=&quot]1 tbsp sultanas.[/font]

[font=&quot]½ tsp ground cardamon.[/font]

[font=&quot]Oil for deep frying.[/font]

[font=&quot]FOR THE SYRUP:[/font]

[font=&quot](250g) granulated sugar.[/font]

[font=&quot](200ml) water[/font]

[font=&quot]6 green cardamon pods.[/font]

[font=&quot]Orange food colour. (optional) [/font]

[font=&quot]METHOD: [/font]

[font=&quot]Sieve the flour and milk powder into a bowl.[/font]

[font=&quot]Add the baking powder, ground cardamon and finely chopped almonds, pistachios and sultanas.[/font]

[font=&quot]Mix together then pour in the melted ghee. Continue mixing and add the milk (warmed slightly).[/font]

[font=&quot]Leave to rest for 20 minutes. (Don't be tempted to miss this out.)[/font]

[font=&quot]After 20 minutes the batter will have proved into a dough. Knead this and divide into 18 - 20 even balls. [/font]

[font=&quot]Heat the ghee. Make sure that it is to temperature but is not too hot..[/font]

[font=&quot]Cook the Jamon very gently (in 2 batches if necessary) turning constantly.[/font]

[font=&quot]If the oil is at the correct temperature, they should rise after a minute or so. Keep turning the Jamon until they are a golden brown all over.[/font]

[font=&quot] Remove from the fat and allow to cool.[/font]

[font=&quot] Meanwhile dissolve the sugar in the water with the cardamon pods and a touch of food colour if you like. [/font]

[font=&quot]When the syrup is completely dissolved, drop in the Jamon and simmer for 5 minutes. Squeeze them gently so they soak up the syrup.[/font]

[font=&quot] Serve immediately. Delicious with fresh cream, Kulfi, Rocky road ice cream etc. [/font]

[font=&quot]These will keep overnight in the fridge but are much better made freshly as needed. (in my case daily). [/font]

10. anurekha

anurekha New IL'ite

Thai Vegetable Soup

Hi,

Here is a Thai recipe which i hope u will surely try and also like it.

Thai Vegetable soup

Capsicum ,Cauliflower, carrot, Lemon grass, Coconut pdr-2 tbsp, Red whole chillies-2or3, Maggi veg stock masala

Firstly cut all the vegetables into cubes. Take 2 cups of water in a vessel and add lemongrass pieces and red chilli to it. Let it bol for some time till the water slightly changes colour and u get the aroma. Put in the Maggi stock pdr. and mix well. Now add all the cut veg. to it and let it bake in the same water. Once the veg. are done add the coconut pdr mixed with a little water to it. Let it boil for a second. Remove and serve hot.

Don't remove the Lemongrass or the red chillies from the soup while serving.

First time u may not like the taste but as and when u start making it again and again u certainly will like it. This was my experience. very healthy and nutritious. Do try it and let me know.

Good luck
    Anurekha