1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can a marriage survive betrayal?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by akalya, Feb 4, 2007.

1. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Myself and my best friend were having a coffee chat as we were watching TV. In lifetime channel, there was a news item saying that over 70% (seems a high number to us) of traveling American male professionals have had sexual relationship with their co-workers.

We then started discussing on this and safely assumed that most of these wives don't know about their husband's philandering. We then drifted to think about the consequences if this happens in an Indian family and if the wife finds out. If she finds out, does that indicate the end of their marriage or does marriage survive such a betrayal? We had some conversation around this topic. I thought it might be interesting to take IL friends thoughts/opinions on this.

Akalya

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007

2. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Hi
    As far as Indian Marriages are concerned, it is not just one thing that makes or breaks it. The aspects that come into play are:
    The woman's financial Independence.
    The family : If the woman is emotionally well bonded with her family-in-law, she will find it difficult to walk out, cutting off so many of her support systems.
    The question of the children's ages and their closeness with the father.
    The chance of support from her own family, both immediately and in the long run.
    The question whether the husband had erred just that once or was it habitual and the question whether his attitude towards the wife is warm or cold.
    The chances for regretting and reforming.

Its really complex and theres no one general rule.

VS

3. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Rightly said VS.

If Indian women are sacrificing their careers and settling down to home making, then the question of their financial independence will be the deciding factor. And of course, the kids..

Geetha.

4. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

I too agree with VS.
    There are so many things a wife have to think before taking a bold decision.
    Every thing will be counted whether she is independent enough to survive happily after or kids emotional attachment with fater or his family.

5. chaand2013

chaand2013 New IL'ite

yaa,its true.u cant just take decision in emotions and repent in future.ur decision can spoil the future of ur children.so its better to think before a hasty decision.