1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which/How much Oil do you use for Cooking/ Deepam?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by mridusudha, Jun 24, 2008.

1. lucky_bandi

lucky_bandi New IL'ite

2. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

I use extra light olive oil.

3. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I use vegetable oil . But this time i'm planning to try canola oil as my friends say it is good .

Regards
    Santasekar

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  4. NizamPori

NizamPori New IL'ite

We uses Canola and like it a lot better than vegetable or corn based oils, and CANOLA is comparitively a lot better from health perspective than the vegetable or corn oils.

I use Peanut oil for frying, just beacuse it has a high smoking point and doesnt burn up like other oils and fill my home with that oily/smokey smell !

Olive oil is great as long as u dont heat it, in taste it really doesnt make much of a difference but it breaks down on high heat and is actually does more harm than any benefit.

So...what's cooking ?

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

You are right, Nizam. Olive oil can withstand only low heat. The green color begins to change on high heat and releases harmful free radicals.

6. indialife

indialife Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I use Extra virgin olive oil for regular cooking and canola for frying.

Seema

7. tanya1984

tanya1984 New IL'ite

Hi mridu,

I had a consultation with the dietician

As per her advice, wat i can tel u is to use different kinds of oil

u have to switch on to the other oil once it gets over

like veg oil,canola oil,mustard oil....

8. Riz1

Riz1 New IL'ite

I use extra light olive oil which you can buy in BJS and indian cooking is very good with it especially non veg cooking and it is very healthy less calories good for heart

I have always been very curious about which oil is the best for Indian cooking...both taste wise and health wise.

I typically use Canola..but have started researching recently and found that canola is not good for health..people say Olive oil is the best but research also says that too much olive oil is also not good for health.

So my question is which oil do you all ladies use? Do you check if the oil is refined/unrefined?

I am trying to make healthy life choices so any help/input will be appreciated[/quote]

9. monapaul

monapaul New IL'ite

hello
    the best cooking oil is sunflower/saffola oil becuse it is good for health, tastes better than other oils,and idhayam nallennai is good too try using olive oil which less fat/saturated fatted acida.in case of using olive for indian better maintain the temperature of oils becos it gives bitter if u heat in high flame(for any oil medium heat is best)avoid using corn oil not good for health beco contains saturated fatty acis relativelly which is not good for health .....veg oils ,the consistency looks thin but its not good for health.

10. subaa

subaa New IL'ite

Hi all , I use canola & Olive oil .Canola oil is said to be better for health than vegetable oil ,remember reading it somewhere.