Diet food for the diabetes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sunkan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Pamper the diabetics too.....

hai folks ,
    i know a lot of us have some one at home with diabetics and to eat sweet with them is troubling their and our conscience....how abt a ladu for them..
    this is green gram full ones one cup
    fructose or equal sugar one cup
    4 elaichi or cardomam.
    dry ginger optional...1/2 tsp ghee melted 100gms the most
    now dry fry the green gram until it turngold in colour now get it powdered from the machine....add equal amount of the powdered sugar and mix well now heat the ghee and add by mixing, the look should never be too much but just enough to hold the powder , the powder should be seen and the ghee should just be enough to bring together very imp this to get the right taste....not much ghee. now mix well with first a spoon then hand and make ladu with ur hand fast before it becomes cold....do not press too much just enough to hold as it will harden while cooling...now it is ready and diabetic can have one or two without a guilt.....hope been of help....sundarikannan
    u can make this with the kuzhu maavu that u have at home very nutritional when done with ordinary sugar for the kids and the above procedure for the diabetics tooo......hope the diabetics r smiling....:tongue

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

pamper the diabetics too

hai folks, good news for diabetic sweet lovers. There is a new shop in Chennai, T.Nagar, near Vani Mahal. It is called Delizius or something like that. It is catering to the diabetic and calorie conscious people. You can get all the traditional sweets and savories, they are sugar free and cholestrol free. It is being marketed by a famous pharmachutical company. Try it out.

3. Mano Saminathan

Mano Saminathan New IL'ite

Many people are nowadays affected by diabetes. Most of the people do not have the awareness about the balanced food they should consume to keep the sugar level normal. Here I am presenting some facts about the diet food that the diabetic patients should follow.
    Some people may follow some natural medicines from their kitchen shelves. Some may follow useful exercises. Please write here yr experience which causes good remedy for you. Many people will be benefited by yr experience.

One should take a low-caloric, low fat, alkaline diet of high quality natural foods. Fruits, nuts and vegetables, whole meal bread and dairy products form a good diet for the diabetic.
    First I am writing down the diet system formed by a doctor who was honoured with the ‘Life time achievement award” by the Indian board of alternative medicines for his studies and dedication on alternative medicines.

Breakfast: Any fresh fruit with the exception of bananas, 2 slices of whole meal bread with butter and a glass of fresh milk.
    Lunch: steamed or slightly cooked vegetables with 3 small chappathis and a glass of buttermilk.
    Mid afternoon: A glass of vegetable or fruit juice.
    Dinner: A bowl of raw vegetables, a cup of rice [any variety of rice] and a small cup of yogurt.
    Bedtime: A glass of fresh milk.

Coffee, tea and cocoa are not recommended.
    White bread, white flour products, sugar, tinned fruits, sweets, chocolates, pastries, pies, puddings, and refined cereals should be avoided strictly.

Cucumber contains a hormone that needed by the cells of the pancreas to produce insulin. Garlic reduces blood sugar levels. Manganese which is vital in the production of insulin is abundant in citrus fruits.

Boil one cup of milk with 3 or 4 garlic flakes every night for 5 minutes. The cooked garlic and the milk will help to reduce Blood pressure level as well as sugar level.

A tip for vegetable salad:
    Put 2 tomatoes, a green apple without the skin, one onion, one radish, 2 cucumbers, one carrot and a few cabbage leaves in a mixi and Chop them with a chopping blade or a slicing blade. Then mix well with a little salt and the juice of a small lime. This will be delicious to eat and you can always eat a large quantity of these vegetables.

Bitter gourd can be given as a poriyal. Doctors are saying that they are not sure about the benefits of the bitter gourd in controlling diabetes. But fenugreek powder is a good medicine. Dry roast 100gms of fenugreek seeds with 2 tbsps of peppercorns to a light brown colour and then powder it finely. Diabetic patients can take 1 tsp of this with a cup of lukewarm water in the morning as well as in the night after food. My mother, who is now 87 years and diabetic, is taking this powder every day. You can also soak fenugreek seeds [1 tsp] in a small cup of butter milk or curd overnight and then eat it in the morning. This is a very good food as it contains fiber.

Anyhow, diabetes can be controlled and beaten only by sheer willpower.

4. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Dear Mano,

I am having borderline diabetes. Hence my diabetes is only controlled with an ayurvedic medicine called Hyponidd by Charak pharmaceuticals. As you have mentioned even I follow a strict diet and exercise. I mainly take whole grains like brown rice, chapatis and try to avoid too much of carbohydrates and sweets and also include lots of vegetables and some fruits in my diet. This keeps my sugar level to almost normal.

I will try your salad as well as fenugreek powder. The diet system given by you is really useful. Thanks for the info, Mano. If possible, can you give some vegetarian receipes for diabetics when you get time. I had asked Chitra also and she has given me very easy and tasty receipes. I just wanted to know what your receipes are so there will be a variety.

Regards,
    Jaya

5. Mano Saminathan

Dear Jaya!
    Thanks a lot for posting useful information. I regret for the delayed reply.
    Here are some recipes that are useful for the diabetic patients.
    SANDHAHAI: [WHEAT IDIYAAPPAM]
    Dry roast the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Punjab</st1:place> wheat grains until the colour changes lightly and a fine aroma floats on the air. When cooled, powder the grains and sieve twice. Sprinkle enough water and salt to make soft dough. Make lemon-sized balls and steam them for 15 minutes. Then press them through an idiyappam press. Mix shredded coconut and chopped coriander leaves with the idiyappam.
    CURD VERMICILLI
    Ingredients:
    Vermicilli- 1 cup
    Low fat curd- 1 cup
    Low fat boiled milk- ½ cup
    Shredded Cucumber-2 cups
    Shredded Carrot -1 cup
    Minced ginger- 1 tsp
    Minced green chilli- 1 tsp
    Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
    Asafotida powder- ½ tsp
    Chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
    Black gram- 2 tsp
    Oil- 1 tsp
    Procedure:
    Boil the vermicelli with enough salt and then drain it through a colander. Again wash it with some cold water. Beat the curd well with the milk and enough salt. Add the cooked vermicelli and the shredded vegetables with enough salt and mix well. Heat a small kadai and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the black gram, ginger, asafetida powder and the coriander leaves. Fry them for a few seconds and add this to the curd mixture. Mix well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
  6. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Dear Mano,

Thanks for the receipe. I have brought the wheat idiappam powder today. will try your receipe sometime next week and let u know.

regards
    Jaya

7. jyoti

jyoti New IL'ite

I tried curd vermicelli!

Hello Mrs. Mano,

I tried curd vermicelli (though none of us are diabetic at home - touchwood!). I have had it in a birthday party dinner - they called it bahalabath(though made with vermicelli) and I always wanted to try it at home.

That came out an excellent dish with carrots and cucumbers grated in it. Real healthy dish.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

8. Mano Saminathan

Dear Jyoti!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback!