1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Being Pushed To Change From Maiden To Married Name

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by icanniwill, Sep 3, 2016.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This investment excuse sounds bogus. What prevents them from doing so under your existing name? Surely there are married women in India who have kept their given names and are able to get PAN cards and such?

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't do it. It's a nightmare with GC processing. My lawyer made a mistake in the spelling of my name during GC processing which I had to jump through hoops to correct - took time away from GC processing. That name issue again came up so many times during my citizenship process.
    It's easier to get it changed when you get your US cit. I didn't do it then because my name had already caused us enough of grief by then.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Don'r change your name if you really don't wanna change it. But if you feel like this is not a battle that you wanna pick up now, and this is not a non-negotiable thing in your life, then go for the change, as it will please almost everyone around you.
    Now, changing a name is a big process. Since you are too confused about this, you may ask your H's suggestions and help in this regard.
    Don't force this job on him, but get him involved and lead in this process. Which will give you some direction, and less headache during the process.

As for the investment thing of your PILs, I really don't get what they really mean here. Because they can invest on your maiden name very well. So, don't give up for such silly ideas.

I was asked to change my name by both my H and in laws upon marriage, since my maiden name/surname is something very Christian. So, they didn't like it at the first place.
    But I really liked my name, and that was part of my identity.
    My office e -mail and so many other accounts starts with that. Even at my office they call me Ms..... (surname) and that's how I've become popular among many.
    Further, I did not like my H's surname. In fact, he doesn't have a proper surname, but his dad's first name was his surname. Which was too old fashioned honestly. So, I did not like to change it that way.
    I didn't see a point to change my surname to my H's first name either. Although it looked matching and fashionable.

So, I refused outright and told them that no name changes in any official documents.
    But I changed my name to my H's first name in social media immediately after marriage... Slowly, I've come back to my original name. I don't see a point in changing the name.

icanniwill likes this.
  4. googleearth

googleearth Silver IL'ite

I assume your in laws can make investments in the new name without changing it. Just tell them to add your marriage certificate to pan card. I did that in bank. I wanted my passport in my married name for some visa issues so as to get that I went to SBI showed them my marriage certificate and changed my name on passbook. SBI latest passbook is considered as a proof of address and identity. So once that was done I could get the passport. But my other documents like pan card, educational certificates are still with my maiden name. My FIL (such a nice man) he suggested and I follow - he told me after changing my name you can still use your maiden signature so for all important signatures I still use my maiden name signature :)

icanniwill likes this.
  5. icanniwill

icanniwill New IL'ite

Thank you for so many replies. For some reason i didn't get notifications for them so i assumed there were no more replies.

You have provided me with so my good and wise ideas. I am going to try and follow them. Nice to hear about other people's experience in this regard.

6. icanniwill

icanniwill New IL'ite

That seems to be like the path we will go on.

7. icanniwill

icanniwill New IL'ite

THis is great!:clapclap:

8. icanniwill

icanniwill New IL'ite

Great insights Rihana. I never thought of it in this manner. Another way to look at it!

Rihana likes this.
  9. icanniwill

icanniwill New IL'ite

Hi Brevity,
    So in-laws haven't clarified whose money they will be investing. When they were first insisting on name change for investment purposes we were not sending any money yet. We have recently started sending them a few months back. But, not sure whose money will be invested. Also, you are right - it should be irrespective of my name.

10. icanniwill

icanniwill New IL'ite

Exactly my point. But can't say this to in-laws.