1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Occupational Therapy Class For My Attention Deficit Kid...is It Worth?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by jananikrupa, Jul 5, 2016.

1. jananikrupa

jananikrupa Senior IL'ite

By the way, what's your DD's age?.

What's your experience at Pratiksha and how much do they price for OT?. At pebbles they are charging Rs.280/- per session and each session is for 45 mins.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

please read up on dysgraphia..it is real..it need not be her disinterest in her writing.. sometimes it better to be aware, understand the limitations in our kids..

and the silver lining today is the government recognises dyslexia as a physical disability and you get additional time to write the paper..

P.S. i did not opt for the option, as the course my son would like to do his doctorate on does not accept pd.

3. jananikrupa

Hi Shanvy,

Thanks a lot for taking time out and addressing my issues to the point. I really admire your parenting approach and you as a person.

The exact issue with my DD, she is not interested in doing any studies related stuff, be it reading/writing/studying and she does not wish to try anything harder like some puzzles or activities which needs some thinking. She is happy if we don't give her any work(studies related).

All her classwork is incomplete, when we ask her the reason she would say mam erased before she copied them. She enjoys seeing what other's are doing and not concentrate on her work.

The OT therapist did an observation and told, her basic problem is lack of interest and concentration/attention is the byproduct of disinterest. Since she is a normal kid, it would take time to show the results of the therapy

Let me try the courses you had mentioned.

Regards,
    Janani

Shanvy likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

oopsie, sorry if you felt i read the situation wrongly.
    that is tough. i think we have another smartie here..the earlier tough guy was I am sooo very angry swt.charu's son. does this post relatable?? thn chk if this helps.
    I am sooo very angry

you know some kids don't like to do it. they want easy things, it is the way they are. some kids love going to school and studying naturally while others need a lot of motivation. esp..if they are inherently lazy about doing stuff.

so here it is more about concentrating and a structured discipline..i am sure ot must be helping.

how about relating studies, her hobbies, and things. you can make studying interesting by linking things.

for example..take her on a walk, and show her different plants..link it to the lesson. rains, clouds, draining out all these can be linked. there is no easy way out until they really get hooked on to learning by themselves. hugs..

5. irenesa

irenesa Silver IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy &Janani for ur reply.
    My daughter is 6.5 yrs.She started her OT on Feb .She writes neatly in her OT class but at school it's illegible.Actually when she starts writing her fingers will be on the pencil gripper but then after each word she goes to the nib of the pencil.So constantly at home I have to remind her.Complaints from the teachers worries me a lot.
    The OT centre is so far good..Weekly 3classes Rs.300 per class 45 min session.Waiting and praying for the results.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@irenesa, teachers complaints take it with a pinch of salt. it will come with practice..just work with clay a lot more, and you have a lot of time. she will improve..just be patient with your dd..and loads of hugs and patience to you.. it is very frustating to stand in front of the teacher when she lists complaints and as if you are waiting for the jury to pass judgement..it is ok..just come home lock the rest room and have a nice scream.

7. jananikrupa

Hi Shanvy,

OT therapist also said the same thing, we need to bring out the inherent interest in her. External motivations wont last long and she should be motivated internally to see the changes. Hopefully OT sessions helps her.

She is basically lazy, blame it on the joint family setup where her grandparents play a pivotal role in pampering and being over protective of her. Have seen Charu's thread and could relate to her problem, I'm in the same boat as her's. Have read the the PDF about motivation as well.

@Irenesa,it will take time to show the results, since the kid is grown up, they would need a long time to show the expected results.

My prayers are with you. please don't worry about teacher's complaints, it will hurt a lot, even I do face them often. Just understand your kid and work patiently with them, I found this out after a long time struggling with my kid. Now she is happy and im also at peace.

Regards,
    Janani

8. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Occupational therapy will definitely help with ADHD.
    Have you got your daughter evaluated.you can also do what the therapist does in home.it is easier to treat kids when they are young.so I will suggest you to start OT soon.