A Guilty Feeling :(

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by BDivya, Jun 16, 2016.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

BDivya.....all children cry for a while when mothers leave them.You are leaving him in day care...soon you will have to leave him in play school. This is something you have to do some day or the other..

Talk to the care givers at the day care. Ask them how he spends the day. Give them a camera and tell them to click pics of your son during the day.Look at these pics and decide if he looks happy or sad. If you see more happy pics .....remember him by those pics during the day.
    If you see him unhappy more often...may be you could take a break like leave without pay option for another six months.

As for your question regarding taking off for your son....your son will not need you all the time once he grows older.There will come a time when he will be more than happy to be left alone. During that time you just have to make sure he is doing fine in studies,he is keeping good company and he is comfortable .All of these can be done along with a regular job which is not too demanding and with the help of some contribution from the father.

2. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks YM fr dropping by:) i ll surely try the camera idea.. u r right i need to figure out something fr my DS alongside with my job.. hoping fr the best and God help me!!
    currently searching fr motivational working moms and how they handle this kinda situation and how well they manage home, kid and office :):):):)searching the net for some motivation :):):):)

yellowmango likes this.
  3. preethuanu

preethuanu Senior IL'ite

Hi Divya,

As Yellow Mango said, taking pictures of your kid is a great idea. You don't even need a camera. They can take in phone camera and ask to whatsapp them to you. You will be happy if you see your son is happily playing and eating and napping and all.

I have a 20 month old kid and I am working from home. I have to go to office on some days. I have a maid coming home daily from morning to evening to take care of my baby and to do cooking and cleaning. My DD very much likes her. If I am going to office, I have to leave by 7:45 am and will reach by 7 pm only. Usually, my DD don't wake up when I go. So I don't have to see her cry. I used to call my maid and check, how is she doing and all. She is usually happy in my absence too. She is sad only if she sees me going. Only once my maid told me DD was searching for me in every room and showing actions "where did mom go?". I took WFH option (even though I get a low salary) only because of the same kind of guilty feeling you have.

My opinion:

My opinion is to take a long leave for 1 more year until your DS goes to school. I think this is the time you should spend with him. This is the time where you should teach him your family culture or whatever , through your own actions. It will be automatically passed on to him. At the adolescent age, I think his friends will be more important than family. So he might be spending more time with them. If you quit your job at that time, MAY be you will feel sad that your son is not loving you or spending enough time with you.

I do not this helped you or not. But do not be heart broken. If you want to reach greater heights, you will have to do sacrifices. Its just that we need to decide what to sacrifice. Don't worry. Life is going very fast. Sooner he will be a big boy and all your worries will be vanished

4. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Thank u @preethuanu.. even i was having the same kinda thoughts but im yet to come to a conclusion as im in two minds.. i can take 1 yr break like LOP but i donno what is stopping me from taking that decision.. may be-promotion which im expecting in the may month of next year(for which i will be eligible only if i work continuosly till may of 2017!) , fear of taking a break or the thought that my colleagues who started along with me might reach different heights when im sitting at home :( i really donno which reason is stopping me from taking a break.. i really donno wat to do.. may be i need a pushing force to make me take a decision.. now im in two minds...

And regarding the pic taking during his day care time, i have already asked the teacher & she has sent me couple of pics in which my son is quite ok! followed YM advice and benefitted :)

But the above confusion of unable to make any decision, can anyone help me with a strong word???!!

5. preethuanu

preethuanu Senior IL'ite

OK. Then Your son seems to be happy. Then DON'T QUIT. and DON'T FEEL GUILTY.

Both of you are doing great now. There is nothing to worry.
    You will get your promotion soon and will have a good financial control in your household.

DS will get a lot of friends in day care and he will learn different things from them faster.

All the best wishes for you dear @BDivya

6. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

thank u preethanu for your kind words :):):)