1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Telephone Niceties

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 13, 2016.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Satchi as always it was interesting to read your thread and also the feedbacks. I also get calls sometimes asking to invest or asking about water filter and I get irritated when the call comes when I am having a good sleep in the afternoon as sometimes I dont get good sleep in the nights.

P.S. I thought I already posted this feedback but just realised I have not posted, must have clicked the post reply but did not get posted I think

satchitananda likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot Vijima. Yes, it happens sometimes. I think I have responded to a thread and then find after a few days that it is not there!

iyerviji likes this.
  3. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hey satchi
    I often pretend to be my own secretary if I receive calls from over enthu vendors who want to talk only to me.. always standard answers.. send your brochure by mail and madam will call if she requires too...
    if its those annoying credit card and loan companies..I simply hang up or say too busy..
    but of late I receive calls for my Hubby on my mobile from vendors .. thats too funny.. to act as his secretary also!!
    and my favourite is to hang up on relatives who bug with too many intrusions.. simply..Hello.. hello.. and then say loudly.. cant hear who it is!!
    Kerman

4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Hilarious Satchi!!! loved it.

Yep those irritating calls. My rule is simple, if I don't recognize the number, I don't pick it up. It goes into voicemail.

I have problems with whatsapp calling feature. That has created a nuisance. Now at whatever time of the day or night, I suddenly get whatsapp call from India. The call is free and easy. It would go something like this,
    "Hello, recognized me?" As if I am Amazon's Alexa (or Google's "Google"), the voice interactive home assistant.
    After a game of few hints and guessing, I get the revelation.
    "I am your _________ (fill in some relation) 's neighbor."
    The formalities of how are you, it has been a long time, etc... continues. I am also informed how much time I spent in their house as a child (as if I had any choice at that time) and in simple words, it means it is payback time for me.
    "My brother in law's sister's son has just completed his engineering. He is very smart. I have a small request for you, please help find a job for him. When they said to me, I immediately thought of you. I told them you are very nice and helpful and will definitely find a job. The boy is very smart, always number came 1st in his class."

Now this conversation happens at odd hours at night or when i am in office and maybe in a meeting (and I excuse myself to take this important call as I don't know who the person is).

Now how am I going to find job for that person or anyone else? Also, there is visa requirement which is a lottery system. If the person is so smart, haven't he figured it out already?

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

A telephone is a wonderful mediu for lying But if you want a halo of truth over your head suggest you attach a caller ID gadget to your phone That way you dont have to attend calls from unwelcome people. Just dont lift the receiver when you think you'd be forced to lie That's all

6. satchitananda

Sindmani just brought me back to this thread with 'likes' in my notification and I was mortified to see that I have given likes to the replies but not remembered to reply. So sorry about that!

LOL Kelly. That is such a wonderful idea! Be your own secretary. My only question is won't such companies think that the secretary being paid to do what she does should answer questions everyday on behalf of the boss? Totally loved your tip for nosey relatives!

7. satchitananda

Hi Akanksha (Akanksha1982), sorry for this ridiculous delay in replying. Please humour me as a potential victim of the big A.

I often tell myself not to call back missed calls from unknown numbers, but my smart ass phone being what it is, often does not show up the names of people on my contact list! So what option do I have?

Ouch! Didn't know people do not have the common sense to work out time differences when calling. They might still send messages which you have an option of reading at your leisure. :-D

Akanksha1982 likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Balajee, I found a simpler solution to the problem. I turned off the ringer. This was not only to turn off nuisance callers but also to discourage endless phone calls for the Woman Friday from her family as soon as she lands up here for work. Those carry on through the afternoon when she is in the opposite house (that lady has been smart enough to not get her landline repaired!) I was fed up of being the receptionist. However the problem was when I wanted to call up home on the landline, I could not reach anyone because the ringer was switched off! My mobile does show me the identity of callers but often it shows just the number but not the name of people on my contact list! So it seems to be a no win situation. I guess it would be a good idea to get rid of the landline, but then we need the wifi!