1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Look At The Light!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am all giggles first thing in the morning. Every now and then my pup looks at me and goes back to his napping with a whatever look! He of course is waiting for the rest of the family, read kids to wake up. He is not delighted that I am giggling, alone! Today, I have woken up with a feeling of wanting to be free. Don't get me wrong. I am not chained by anyone or anything. You know it simply is one of those feelings where you want to be in the open, under the stars (literally and metaphorically) with arms spread out and just experience the pure joy of one's existence. No bonds! Absolutely.

But all I do is drag myself downstairs to make a cup of coffee, draw the blinds to prevent the bright Sun making my room brighter, not even pausing to look up at the sky or listen to the birds the way I usually do and sit looking at my devices - the cellphone and the computer. You see i have woken up already late for me for the day! I am bored just 20 mins into the browsing and as I lazily go through another post on FB, curiosity gets the better of me and I decide to follow the link. The link with the beautiful picture said "5 cups of green tea a day can help you lose weight, most of it around your belly". While I go in my head 'duh with so much water in who has an appetite to eat?' Curiosity I tell you! I want to see if there is anyone else who agrees with the suggestion or even better with me. So I look at the comment section and read "The only way to lose weight using green tea is to climb the hills and pluck it yourself". I am all smiles and I continue to click to read - "Place a rubber band around an open paint can to wipe your brush on and to keep the paint off the side of the can". Having just finished painting a room, feeling bummed for not having followed the suggestion yet feeling optimistic with the previous comment, I hasten to read the comment and the top most comment is "rub the brush too hard and it backfires your paint everywhere, then you are depressed" and "hide your money in chap stick tube while travelling" to which "Yes! hide it in a tube you always lose". Who hasn't lost a chap stick ever tell me? "Put a wooden spoon on a pot to prevent boiling over while cooking" gets a "A watched pot never boils over". You get the drift don't you? Now can you blame me for having such a fit of laughter.

Sometimes all the upbeat positive posts, so called life hacks make me want to turn away and just be - like that feeling I explained earlier of being free. As I think of this, my eyes are drawn to a piece of cloth that I had used as a table cover just yesterday night. Nothing spectacular just a small pink piece hand woven you know but is utterly precious to me. No no, it was not given by anyone I care about/for in my life and even better, I had just bought it from a school. As I think of the cloth, I think of the woman who refused to take a picture, would not speak a word as she was practicing silence then and her only job was to weave just to get that square meal a day, not even to sell. The school sells it. I had simply picked up the latest piece she had woven. She didn't look poor but she was practicing simplicity and minimalist living, learnt a lot more about her and others like her later.

I have often wondered about the simplicity of life and now I seem to be often wondering about the complexity it has become. I hear you naysayers going "It is all in you and it is all you" and I do agree. Sometimes I spend more time thinking of my perceived complexities and getting agitated over the unwanted than just being. So what if there is an over load - of information, positivity, life hacks? I can set my filters to whatever I choose. Then why the fuss? The fuss is because of that light (you know the screen) and that draw to that light to make life simpler. Talking of light, I often tease the yoga teacher who studies Gita with me. We both feed off each others' strengths and feed into needs. He studies Gita with reverence, understands it and wants to learn Sanskrit better. I know Sanskrit a little better than the meaning of Gita. You see how this is working? Anyways as we study we hope to see the light at the end of tunnel. I often tease him with "Don't go near the light" you know from the movie "A bug's life"

-

"No Harry no, don't look at the light.
    I can't helpppp iiiittt. It is sooo beautiful"
    "aaahhhhh" crash boom and the bug is zapped!

Well, I was reminded of the scene again this morning as I got drawn more and more into browsing. I know if I don't beat a hasty retreat, I will be that bug.....zapped!

Scorpio707, knbg, kelly1966 and 4 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Oh dear! I did feel so sad for that poor bug. Not surprising, because I am like that bug and am attracted to the blue light on my computer screen ..... no, not till I drop dead but till I get zapped with a migraine once every now and then. Migraine, nausea, off the internet for a couple of days, lose a bit of weight - no, no need to drink green tea or go up the mountains to pluck the leaves :-D - then back to internet, back to food, back to the need for green tea .....

You know Sabitha, I just realized (yes, I am a tubelight indeed!) why we get along so well. I was just watching the way you start off with a point, meander away from it and come back to the point ..... well ..... almost. :roflmao: So like what I do. One thought leads to another to another, so what if they have wandered off somewhere else! After all it was a logical sequence of thought that lead there in the first place. What say?

Srama and padma0604 like this.
  3. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

"So I look at the comment section and read "The only way to lose weight using green tea is to climb the hills and pluck it yourself"

Srama that was really good. Your language flows vibrantly, taking us by hand till the end. I enjoyed reading it and the picture is good too. A bug's life?? I have to check it out. I am unable to recollect. Thanks for the post.

Srama likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

You don't really have to go through all this to lose weight. Watch the tube away as much as you want but y friend migraine and nausea? Not worth it. Every time the net calls you, think of this bug now. Okay?

I am glad to have a friend I tell you and you will understand if I say that starting somewhere, going some place and coming back to where I started is kind of fun isn't it. Now I see why I like running....feels like I am doing something but always back to square one. And Satchi, if we are going to climb that hill, it certainly is not for that green tea ;)

I have to say, I do give the credit for what you do. Enjoy your screen time - no guilt associated. Just yesterday a friend was mentioning that guilt is the worst feeling to associate oneself with. Makes sense!

satchitananda likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Padma,

Thank you for your appreciative words. i did really enjoy reading the comments. Taking everything so seriously sometimes can bog us down and laughter is a much needed medicine!

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Good one Sabitha! Looking at the title I was wondering what it could be. As you say once we look at the comments on FB it adds fun ... some quick videos on easy cooking are more informative though. We all are just like the bugs that gets attracted to the light. I will remember that when I look at the blue screen (all the time)

satchitananda and Srama like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear jskls,

You know the yoga teacher is also always talking of that light, as in spiritual journey and I have a couple of friends who do the same. I don the mantle of teasing all of them about that light :) Some days I am all the screen person especially when I am preparing for a class but most days it is wake up and head out to gym, hence the difference today. Thank you for your words and your feedback.

8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hey sabhitha
    totally agree about staying away from the light... if you are bug .. same way I resist straying into the social media as I find myself lost in its vastness and sometimes the addiction gets difficult to break..
    well thats one of the reasons I stay away from IL too
    Kerman

Srama likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You will not be surprised if I say I completely agree Kelly! I was also thinking of social media when I wrote this..you know FB, whatsapp and what not!

Nice to see you here though ;) Thanks for your feedback.