1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil And Sil Are Checking My Closet In My Absence

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sapna56, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I stay in USA. And here there are no locks for the doors. So mil and sil often check my closet in my absence. I have brought this to notice of my hubby. But he is kind of neutral. I sometimes get very frustrated when I come from outside and see that some stuff is messed up coz it is checked by somebody. I have purposely kept some hints which would easily prove that somebody has checked my belongings in my absence. Please help how do I deal with it. I have kept some things in locked bags but can't keep evrything.

2. SCk

SCk Silver IL'ite

I think its time you get some personnel n get it locked

Anusuya likes this.
  3. Lxcxxz

Lxcxxz Senior IL'ite

My mil used to do this. When I found out I put condom and sanitary packets at the top of the drawers where I didn't want her to pry. She soon stopped.

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Checking closets in owner's absence is disgusting and not to mention invasion of privacy.As one of the ladies suggested keep feminine products and condoms sporadically all over.( Used will be a brilliant idea too) . Also see that you arrange a lock to closet . In laws and privacy don't go hand in hand. I remember my SIL barging into our room 2 days after marriage telling she wanted to iron some clothes. After that , I gave an earful to hubby and since then she hasn't entered when we go.

One more idea. Don't keep a clean closet until they are here. Keep it tardy . Seeing the dirty closet, they will be put off sooner rather than later. Good Luck.

Anusuya likes this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

Don't involve your hubby in this matter, how can he tell his mother & sister not to open the closets?

Better you keep all your confidential items in suitcases and lock them. Just keep only the ordinary & normal things in the closet.

I know it's annoying, but let them check, and how long they will check? they will be bored after sometime, if they do not find anything interesting there :)

So don't keep any interesting things in your closet.

Anusuya likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Place your lingerie, feminine items, condoms etc..etc... here and there, and leave your door unlocked when you leave home. Get a post it pad, and write a note " To whom it may concern: I know that you are checking on my room/things, but I care a damn about it".
    Do this repeatedly for a few days.
    Don't show any of your anger or frustrations in your face.

It is them who should feel ashamed of their behavior, not you for expecting some privacy.
    So, be normal.
    They will take the hint soon.

7. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

haha..thats a good idea. I must try this one.

8. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

Keep a glass bottle filled with something (could be a big health-drink bottle or the like, the bigger the better ;)) right towards the edge of a shelf in the cupboard and close the door light so that anyone opening will end up with the bottle falling down and breaking and the contents messing up the floor somewhat. Do it with knack so if you yourself are opening, you must have a way to hold or push the bottle in before opening fully.
    Watch the fun when you get back home. You can announce it to all and sundry about it as no one can blame you for asking. Its now upto them to explain.
    And if they somehow got lucky in the first go, keep trying!

coffeecups likes this.
  9. girlinblueshoes

girlinblueshoes New IL'ite

You can get surveillance cameras in Costco or Amazon for not too much money. A lot of people have it in their homes, or just simple nanny-cam that you can conceal. Get proof, and then confront and shame them. In addition to condoms also put some K-Y jelly, sexy lingerie, or even toys (you know what kind). Then ask them what kind of perverts they are to want to see all the intimate details of their son and brother. Because that's what they are, snooping, peeping-tom, sick voyeurs.