1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

+Tuberculosis Skin Test-PPD Test

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by meghanshu, Sep 22, 2007.

1. meghanshu

meghanshu New IL'ite

Hello Everybody,

I'm back from india and relieved . Went to one of the best pediatrics and took his opinion. He checked my daughter and suggested for a second shot of PPD test and blood work. Everything was normal her PPD test was on borderline which the doctor said is normal as all the indians are exposed to TB bacteria. I asked him why the first test was not normal & he said in abroad nurses are not very experienced about giving these shots in right proportionbonk and so it might have come positive also if they ask you to submit the test results show them the x-ray and blood report.The docter said THERE IS NO NEED OF MEDICATION ON THE BASIS OF +VE PPD :cheers

So everybody pls always take a second opinion before giving any medication to your kids.

Meghanshu

2. rupak

rupak New IL'ite

Hi,

I am also in same boat. My daughter is 4 and ppd was positive but chest x-ray is completely fine. Now kaiser people are not ready to give the certificate for school. Instead they are asking to start the medication. I tried to lookup for state/county rules for tb test for schools. According to it, if chest x-ray is good, Dr can give certificate for kid. so that child can attend the school.

what can be done in this case? Does anyone here know any Indian Dr in Santa clara county ? I think that might be helpful.

Rupa

3. meghanshu

meghanshu New IL'ite

Hi,

Even i 'm a Kaiser member but trust me no need of asking a certificate for PPD test. Just ask them to give you shot records and that's the only thing u need to submit to get an admission in the school and rest leave it and do whatever is to be done when u visit India.If your daughters school ask for a report of PPD test show them the X-ray and blood work report. No one can force u to start with medication as it is an Inividual choice and there is no law

Trust me there is nothing worng with your child if she is healthy and all the other reports are normal but if u find a Indian doctor take a second opinion.

Meghanshu

4. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Meghanshu is correct. Nobody can force you to start some medication for your child unless there really is some health problem. So don't worry. Take all the reports that you have and I am sure it will not be any problem.

Amitha

5. sujathan

sujathan New IL'ite

Same happened to us. Our Physician is almost blackmailing us to take medication. X-Ray is clean. I have requested to order a blood test. This TST test result will be reported to the State. Does anyone know its implications?

6. MadanMohan

MadanMohan New IL'ite

My son has been tested positive tb skin test. I m worried if medication is required. X ray is negative. He is 3yrs.

7. brindha04

brindha04 New IL'ite

Hi Madan,

Please share your experience on what you ended up doing....my son 3.5 years showed ppd +ve and chest x-ray -ve and pediatrician put him on 9 month course of Isoniazid...

He had BCG as well...We are tring to get second opinion to see if we can do blood test "QuantiFERON®–TB Gold In-Tube test (QFT-GIT)"

Please share us your experience.

Thanks.

8. athidi02

athidi02 New IL'ite

Hi, same with my 4 year old kid. Had skin test and got positive. so doctor asked for X-ray. He is healthy and we went to doctor for submitting checkup documents for his school..... Is the treatment mandatary???? I don't want to change the doctor to avoid this treatment...he is so caring. he did not insisted us but gave us some material about latent tb and said its a policy that docs have to treat latent. He didn't mention any thing like this is mandatory or anything....but tomorrow we are going to doctor to show X-ray. As the kid is healthy we are expecting X-ray will be clean. I don't know how to avoid the treatment if kid is clean in X-ray.

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. athidi02

athidi02 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Doctor asked for blood test. Its clean. No need of medicine. Im sooo happy.:)

10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Yes Mine too got responded to skin test, but my physician is so experienced, she told Indians get this because of the vaccine. And she proceeded further without getting stuck at this test. It was a formality for some treatment in my case.

She also said that, the doctors in india (or small countries) are so irresponsible, they are not tracking whether patient has taken the full course of medicine, the bacteria got so strong, and now TB is getting difficult to treat.

By the way doctor is not Indian, she is very much into research in her field.

May be this is the reason the US doctors are insisting on the medicine, but no need I think, but take other doctor opinion (who sees more indian patients) as somebody already suggested.