1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weird Insecurity

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by maddysweet, Jun 2, 2016.

1. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

Hope you all having a great summer. On my previous post about MY SIL got responses in which some were suggesting me not to think too much. Also some people had find no fault in SIL. I am not thinking too much and this is not even a big problem. Probably i gave thought about this only few hrs this afternoon and want to get your suggestions. My SIL behavior is very weird to me so i get confused what to do.
    Weird because she made her kids stop talking to me.
    In last few trips my SIL teenage kids were getting close to me and she was not comfortable like she has openly scolded kids for coming out with me for 2 min.Her husband would talk to me and she will take him away to basement.
    They stay in different city,6 months back kids created a whatsapp group with both of our families.Her husband and kids were very active in group. then i forwarded jokes from other friends groups.They would immediately respond to me and lot of fun talking. My SIL doesnt have a single friend and never put anything funny in whatsapp.
    Her posts were the scan of the appreciation card she got from her boss, her plants at home.except a thumbsup no one responded much to her.

Then one of her kid started giving me one on one messages and doesnt talk in group. Another kid also send one on one Nice Profile pic message.Few times i asked something in group and kids dint respond.
    It was confirmed that they have some restriction from their mother. I got angry on the kids.If they are scared of their mom should completely stop talking to me but why give me messages one on one. I realized they trying to maintain contact secretly which i dont want to. I was being nice to them infront of all. Why would i want to maintain a contact secretely with her kids.
    I did ask kid of not responding in group and they made excuse that they missed seeing it. It happened few times not once.

one day in whatsapp group my SIL shared happily that her husband and kids gave surprise party, I responded " nice pics thats good".
    my husband expressed guilty that he never gave surprise to me. should plan one.for that SIL response was, 10 big messages to my husband that you dont need to give surprise coz you were never used to give as our family never did one, our dad never did surprises.she also never gave any surprise.
    Then tells me not to expect coz "most of men are like that" but since her kids are teenage and her husband is used to giving surprise they gave her.
    It was clearly sounding like she can get surprises for what ever reasons she deserves but i shouldnt expect and more clearly telling " my husband not to plan one for me LOL"

Husband and myself didnt even respond to her messages. her hubby and kids responded supporting her saying "thats right".

I told husband again his sister is trying to poison his mind which i dont like. Told i will exit group coz dont want all this mess.
    my husband gave a expression like he has no clue and diverted topic. He then said, no dont exit from group. But i did exit and feeling so much peace of mind.Her kids sent messages one on one again asking why i have exited. I didnt even respond.

Then after week SIL calls me for no reason to masca. she called once again when i was sick. she invited us to come her house.

I am not sure how to behave when i go

- Talk less with all of them, SIL, SIL HUBBY, KIDS.(This will be tough to sit quietly 1 week. Husband also get angry am not talking)

- Talk less with KIDS,SIL hubby and normally with SIL(Coz am angry on kids for not responding in group and sending me one on one messages, let SIL see her hubby, kids getting insulted by me which she wished. but will hubby kids think am scared of SIL and stopped talking to them)

- Talk less with SIL( like before) and normally with kids, SIL hubby?.
    (It is like fun to talk to them and enjoy instead of hearing self boasting of SIL)

2. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

It feels like most of your behaviour is guided by her deeds! Why not concentrate on other things in life rather than keeping track of all her messages. If she is not the most important person of your life, then why think so much? Talk to people you feel like and the way you normally do!

sindmani, songbird46, SGBV and 2 others like this.
  3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

A very insightful reply. :worship2:
    So often we act based on the one who has no love for us , and not based on the ones we love and who love us. Thank you for reminding me to get a grip on my perspective .

songbird46 and beingloved like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It seems you don't have your own set of characteristics, but everything you do is highly influenced by your SIL. It also seems like she is the director of this drama called "your life". You are like a puppet, who dances as per her tune.
    That shows how low your self esteem is.
    Time to grow up, and grow emotionally.

SIL is not your FAMILY.

Let me tell you, how I would be reacting to the situations if I were in your shoes.

SIL's kids add me to a whatsapp group
    If I am not interested in their group, I wouldn't pay attention to it. Since I know my SIL is not much close to me, rather treats me like an enemy, I wouldn't be so active in that group with HER FAMILY.
    There are so many whatsapp groups where I am part of. I just don't wanna leave, as it will be seen as a rude behavior, given the group is your extended family.
    But I don't respond. Mute the notification, and clear the cache once in a while to remove data loading from my phone.
    Sometimes if I feel bored, I will visit all such groups to see some 100, 200, or even 400+ messages. But i will lose concentrating in between.

SIL's kids stop contacting me in the group

I will ignore that. May be I will wonder what might be the reason. But then forget about it.

SIL's kids send me one on one message
    I will respond but make the communication general and minimal. More importantly, I wouldn't show that I noticed the changes, and felt hurt. In fact, it is none of my business.

SIL's surprise party.. and the sermons after that
    First, I wouldn't be reacting to it much. Your cool reply was fine.
    When my H turns out to be in guilt bla bla... I would make the scene funny by saying something funny.
    If there is any sermon, I would just switch off my phone for that time. And wouldn't give her any clue whether I've read it or not.
    I wouldn't even take this matter with my H afterwards.
    Ignorance is a bliss...

This way, SIL or her family comes as a least priority in my life.

If at all, I am to visit them, I would not be talking less, talking much but behaving normal as per the circumstance.

sslkgpaa and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

so when i go her house, i should keep talking to other people and think about other people?.

6. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

what ever you said below is very good. But did not completely answer my main question.

my question was how to behave when i visit her house, so out of we 9 ppl in our get together, my husband and kid are one who loves me and rest of the people( SIL and family) are doing a drama there.
    so thinking how should i act based on my husband and kids.? may be just keep myself busy playing with my own kids. good one.
    But my SIL will be taking my name and start her nonsense, i should probably give smile and ignore.

7. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

@ SGBV,
    Completely completely untrue. you saying i dont have my own characteristics,she is director of drama or my life, i do as per her etc.
    i am not following but opposing. all this drama is that i dont follow her.
    I oppose her way of thinking. My husband also started telling lies to them about some of the things i want to do now, like we order pizza at home in case SIL calls that time husband tells lies to her we had home food. I took 2 weeks break from job, husband didnt tell SIL when she called home, I went India 2 weeks that my mom was sick and he didnt tell his parents of SIL and told me to go secretly.
    I wonder what they might be telling him.

Gods grace i stood strong and even a peace of me cannot think like her.
    The way you said about my entire personality is very big and i should tell you my story in short and the hidden agenda of my inlaws and SIL herself trying to influence me.
    hidden agenda is simple, serve your husband inlaws. she will serve her husband inlaws. But take helps from parents , brother.
    - you can neglect even your kids staying 10 pm at work but job is imp
    - you should neglect your parents completely, call them once in month.
    - you should cook only home food as my inlaws entire khandaan dont like outside food.
    - give all money to husband, inlaws.
    - your parents get sick, dont care concentrate on your job, housework. your brother should take care.
    - inlaws sick, yes your responsibility to take care. SIL can relax.
    - when i need help, parents should immediately come to help.
    so she is constantly trying to keep telling me how hard work she doing, same i should do and take helps from parents.

however i liked your responses about whats app group etc. being normal is what am trying to define here. I am bit talkative person so end up always talking more so was confused what to do.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Sorry Maddysweet, the post by beingloved struck a chord with on on my situation at work. I was letting a colleague's comment define my day, when she didnt matter. Reading that post helped me reset my perspective.

PS - what a nice you have. Reminds me of Maddy and his smile and it puts a smile on my face :hearteyes:

maddysweet likes this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Maddysweet, Some women are like that. All said she is their mother, the kids must respect her wishes. It is not fair for the kids to be put in that spot. They obviously like you their maami , how sweet , so they initiate one to one contact with you. But it should be no surprise that their mom will be their priority, and they do not want to defy her.

If relationship with her is affecting you too much ( seems it is) then with draw,be polite and formal, maintaine a distance and let your husband and kids be how they want to with them. Every family has a story, as long as it is not too intefering in the well being of your kids and husbands let the relationship be. End of the day , that is what we are left with relations and friends.

If you think you can overcome your sils ways, be a good maami to your niece/nephew. What goes around comes around. Your good will to them will come back to you and your family one way or another.

maddysweet and livingitup like this.
  10. livingitup

livingitup Bronze IL'ite

hey Maddy, Dont read too much into anything related to the kids.. they want a relationship with you... you dont have to go out of ur way for them.. just be cordial with them.. and hope it keeps them happy:wink:

maddysweet likes this.