1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need help in finding apartments where Indian Community friends more

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by arunsripr, Feb 27, 2016.

1. arunsripr

arunsripr New IL'ite

Hi Friends...

My name is Priya
    We are to moving from California to Chicago due to change in my husband job. We are new to Chicago
    Please do help us finding apartments which is good & safe where more Indian Community friends live
    Am looking in Waukegan and Gurnee areas...

Thanks

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to Chicagoland and to Indusladies!
    You will find lots of Indians in Waukegan and Gurnee. Eagle Ridge, Elmhurst, Lakehurst apartments have many Indians. Good luck settling down.

3. Nithya58

Nithya58 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    New to Chicago..I have 1 1/2 yr old son..looking for some Indian community apartments( esp Telugu people)..any day care available near by would be helpful too..need suggestions

TIA

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  4. butterflyice

Where are you located? Its hard to pinpoint apartments with Indian people leave alone Telegu people.

Nithya58 likes this.
  5. Nithya58

Nithya58 New IL'ite

Hi butterfly nice..am Cmng to Chicago next month..its jus for my son am asking abt Telugu people..he can speak Telugu so I jus thought to ask abt it..thanks

6. butterflyice

Sure, do post all concerns that you have.

After you settle down, consider visiting The Hindu temple of greater chicago at Lemont or the Venkateshwara temple in Aurora on weekends. There is a telegu association at the temple in Lemont. You will surely run into Telegu people. There is a big population, however they may not all live at the same place, hence the difficulty in pointing out apartments.

Which area are you moving to? Good luck with the move.

Nithya58 likes this.
  7. Nithya58

Nithya58 New IL'ite

Thanks butterflyice for providing the info..definitely I will visit the temples..planning to move to Schaumburg or Naperville..thanks dear

8. Vishaa

Vishaa New IL'ite

@butterflyice - Similar to ur suggestions to Nithya58, can you please guide me as to how to go about meeting Tamil people. I am ok with befriending Indians of any state, but though I see some Indians in my apartment ( Lakes of Schaumburg), they dont seem very willing to smile or speak with new tenants ( it could probably be my imagination too). As far as I know no one in Indus Ladies seem to stay here.

So a public place where I can make a few Indian friends is what I am looking for. I have a 2.5 year old daughter who loves being around people and this loneliness is hard on her too. Any suggestions?

9. butterflyice

Try the same places - temples, library, grocery shopping at Patel bros and Costco :) In fact the library should have story time etc for little kids. Its easier to meet other families with similar age kids there.

The Park district organises various events, try attending some to them. Water parks esp the place near Oberweiss dairy is a huge hit with families during the summer.

There should be a Tamil sangam at the temple.

Also do not restrict yourself to Indians. Be friendly with Americans, if you find an American kid the same age as your kiddo, take the initiative to introduce yourself and your kid and ask if they would like to play with you. Use the same approach with Indians too, you should find some friendly people around. Say hi to your Indian neighbours, ask them about kids, their schedules, their native place, where they shop for grocery, clothes etc. Strike up a conversation by yourself. It may seem a little daunting at first but you will get used to it.

Good luck making new friends.

Lakshmiarizona likes this.
  10. Vishaa

Vishaa New IL'ite

@butterflyice - Thank you. The library and temple sound promising. We have visited Patel's and Costco numerous times but its rather difficult to interrupt someone busily shopping to just strike up a conversation. Will look into the Park District events too.