1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Got Confused.. Need Help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by bhargavi86, May 26, 2016.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,if the aim is to learn swimming,let it be that.
    One can learn swimming without jumping into water.He can get into the pool without jumping.
    Jumping makes him go underwater for a while which is scaring him.Once he learn to do basic swimming,he will on his own learn to enjoy playing around in water including jumping.

There is no age limit for learning swimming.I learnt swimming in my late teens.I have friends who learnt swimming only after marriage.

bhargavi86 likes this.
  2. bhargavi86

bhargavi86 Junior IL'ite

thanks rihana,
    after having discussion with my husband ,i came to the conclusion of let him continue his lessons. as i told he s somewat good in water the only thing is jumping so tat he afraid of classes. lets see how he doin his next class.. thanks for u r valuable suggestion ...

3. bhargavi86

bhargavi86 Junior IL'ite

thanks jgvr
    tat makes me feel better .. i asked him .. he told the water getting his nose and he hate it... ill try to explain him ...

4. bhargavi86

bhargavi86 Junior IL'ite

thanks yellow mango
    i realised it now... ill ask the coach about tat... let him have confidence in water we can postpone the jumping part later ... thanks for u r reply ..

yellowmango likes this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

try using these and see if it helps
    swim cap, which covers ears too
    ear plugs
    swim goggles
    nose plug (i don't know how much it helps, you may ask his trainer)
    and floating pads based on the need(ask trainer)

6. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

Swimming lessons should be fun and not a scary experience for a young child; if he's crying, I'd pull him out and either 1) find a more child centered swim school or private lessons or 2) Go to the pool as a family just to play in the water and re-enroll him when he's older. My little princess started swimming lessons at 3 and a half and didn't put her face in the water for 2 months and the teachers worked by building her water confidence through fun games. They encouraged but never forced her to do anything, including jumping into the teacher's arms in the water. Eventually, she overcame her fear and put her face in and then everything else followed naturally (from swimming on her own, jumping in, etc.) Now she's 5 and a half and swims like a fish. Forcing him to jump in the water while he's crying will only build his fear and if a swim teacher made my child cry like that, I personally would have withdrawn my child from the lessons right there and then.

guesshoo likes this.