1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travel Companion For My Mother

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Ammu82, May 4, 2016.

1. Ammu82

Ammu82 New IL'ite

Hi,

My mother is travelling from Hyderabad (HYD) to Chicago (ORD) on 05/27/16 at 8:55PM through Air India. I am looking for a travel companion for her. Can anyone please let me know via PM if you or your family members are travelling on the same date?

Thank you!

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Ammu82, I hope you find a companion for your mom.
    In case you don't, do not worry much. The crew is friendly as its all Indian. Do ask for assistance. They will help in all the airports (including Germany, assuming she is flying through Frankfurt).
    Do tell her beforehand about the immigration process at Chicago. Help her have all the papers in one place, so she only needs to present the full folder.
    There are people available to help with luggage at ORD also.

3. Ammu82

Ammu82 New IL'ite

Hi @butterflyice,

Thanks for the message. She is flying through Air India. Appreciate the input regarding immigration process , I shall keep her informed. As we will be there at the baggage point in ORD, much help will not be needed there. I have taken wheelchair assistance for her as well. I was looking for a companion so that she has a jitter - free travel.

4. Ammu82

Ammu82 New IL'ite

Hi Butterflyice,

I just realized that we cannot meet her at baggage point in ORD as she is coming through AI , I was keeping my Etihad experience in mind earlier where the POE is Abu Dhabi!

5. butterflyice

Sorry, I am unable to understand how that would make a difference.

Once you step out of the immigration counter and look around, you will find people in uniform. If you approach them for help saying luggage help, they will help out. They are usually spanish folks, so do not expect flawless english. Try communicating to your mom about this. Good luck.

6. Ammu82

Ammu82 New IL'ite

Hi Butterflyice,

What I was trying to say is, if my mother was coming via Etihad, here immigration would have been done in Abu Dhabi and in ORD we could have directly met her at the luggage collection where all the domestic flights luggage would be passed to. I have experienced this last year when I traveled via Etihad. But since she is coming via Air India, her immigration would be done in Chicago and we would not be allowed to the International Luggage collection point. She herself has to collect the luggage and come outside of the Doors where we will be waiting. My Husband and daughter have experienced this in 2014 when they traveled via Air India.

As she has Wheelchair assistance, she will get help with her luggage. However thanks for providing the information regarding luggage helpers. I will surely tell her about this as well, just in case as backup.

Thank you!

7. Ammu82

Ammu82 New IL'ite

Hi Butterflyice,

Can you please let me know the color of the uniform of the luggage helpers?

Thank you!

8. butterflyice

Sorry, I don't remember exactly.

Here is another post that has some useful ideas. I especially liked the flash cards idea and customs declaration form duplication.
    Mom is traveling to US and don't know english; How to face immigration?