1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking the Ice

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Meeta lovey
    So there is a difference in those 2 lines.. better to use "this dress looks nice on you".. really I was not aware of these small nuances but makes sense..
    Your last para is a life saver.. one thing I have observed is once your guest starts talking it becomes a lot easier.. you stand and nod your head and listen.. and soon a few more guests join in.. and then everyone seems to take over.. its always a pleasure to see you.

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hey AC,

You really come up with such variety of subjects. I always wonder from where you get these ideas.

I don't know in which category to place myself...but one thing i know is at times i can't go further than a few sentences and some times i talk as if there is never tomorrow.

Maybe i think it also depends on the other person with whom you are interacting. Ours is a huge family and compared to my other co-sisters (currently we are 6 co-sis), i talk less they all talk a lot ...but still it seems that i am the most popular among the DILs. ..that's what my husbands and some of his aunts say.:hide:

When there are more people...i see to it that rather than spending more time with a few, i spend some time with all and then which ever group i find comfortable i join in there.

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,

Nice topic. Like my dad even i used to be very much a silent person never talk unless and otherwise someone asks me something but once i started going to college (UG) day by day i changed a lot. Started mingling with people freely and initiate talking. I would like to thank my teachers in my first semester who encouraged me a lot to reach this comfort level. You wont believe by the end of my PG i was awarded for preparing more number of seminars in the year than the rest in my college :) And now husband too being one such category we never hesitate to talk or converse with anyone but never attempt to bore anyone :wink:

4. Anandchitra

Hi Roopa
    Thats a nice technique... I agree its better to spend time more with all in general .. And the thing is when we are comfortable we do tend to talk more..
    I guess its just our comfort zones!

5. Anandchitra

Hello Roopa
    You have a good point in mingling with the larger group and staying with whom you are more comfortable with..
    Its not surprising we need to be more comfortable with to help mingle or make small talk..
    well I am glad a popular dil is sharing ideas here with me..:)

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    Lovely topic and loved your sense of humour...me too have faced the same predicament being a shy person......but the most common icebreakers here seem to be about India,hindi movies ,shows like sa re ga ma...and if u do not regularly follow all these u are STUCK.......then about sarees and dresses ....it is indeed funny that people will believe anything as long as it is a compliment to them but i cannot be such a fake person so will use this only if i really mean it....then the most imp ,...their children...people just love to TALK about their kids...and i will be polite like hmmm and smile..thats all is expected of me....and when EVERYTHING fails of course the weather to the rescue..
    Mindi

7. Anandchitra

Dear Mindi
    You sound like me.. I also think some mothers love to talk about their children and also some love to talk about thier grandchildren too.... and like you say if all else fails lets talk about the weather..

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

AC,
    For how many rides you are going to take me on your boat?
    Nice idea....i need tips too...because I am a 'reserved' person you know...
    The tips discussed here are really helpful.

sriniketan

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

I generally get along like this....

Start with a Hi or hello

Check were do they come from

How long they have been here

If you have already visited that place, discuss about it

If they have kids , more convenient to talk easily...

If you are a movie person check what they have recently seen on screen and also tell about your experience

If you are a working woman , talk about managing time and your day to day troubles

About parents, kids schoolings, favourite programme's in TV, hobbies etc etc....

10. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Dear AC mam,

Wonderful topic.Usually enquiring about health ,if the person is old,and talking to other mums about kids, weather is a ok,but too much can be boring.I donot like go to on about jewellery,sarees, etc.I always prefer a smile and a hello,hi,that is all .It also depends on the person whom I am interacting with.

regards

meera

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008