1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you feed kids with hands?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Visasri, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Shireesha,
    love your reply coz I like food the same way.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Normally I feed her with a spoon. For some reason I know not, I am more comfortable when I feed her with spoon. Of course, finger foods she has it with hands.

1 person likes this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I feed my kids with hand, ie rice.. I find it clean and easy. When i'm not feeding my daughter she ask me to mix the rice with curry with my hand and give her a spoon.
    ( Even now , now and then my mom feed me with her hands and I just love it )

1 person likes this.
  4. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

Just feed her well.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I give food with spoon, hands whichever works for the day. But yes, I do ask my daughter to eat rice with a spoon. It is mainly because she likes to eat on her own without getting her hands sticky. Also I find that it is a practice that is easier to follow when we are outside.

6. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

depends on type of food... dosa, idli ect by hand... sometimes even rice too

sometimes he is very active and roams around the house that time feeding with spoon is easier than with hand... eating by himself is only biscuits and drinks milk and juice by himself (bottle of course)... doesnt like to drink milk from

glass but drinks rest everything nicely from glass... any tips regarding that

7. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

i feeding my kids with spoon too, but actually i prefer to feed them by hand because i like the bonding.
    i have to use spoon because my kids doesnt stay at one place when eating, and i have to go around the house wit them to feed, so its bit difficult with plate on one hand and messy fingers on the other hand.

1 person likes this.
  8. Deepika24

Deepika24 Bronze IL'ite

Hello,
    I feed my DD by hand... I am comfortable feeding her by hands... Very rare I use spoons....

9. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hands are ok but those should be child's own hands.............let them eat themself with their own cleaned hands

10. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

It wasn't an issue of "hand" vs. "spoon"- it was about FORCE feeding against the child's will; in the West, its regarded as child abuse to forcibly push food into a kid's mouth when they refuse (screaming and crying, running away, etc) UNLESS prescribed by a doctor for medical reasons. Many toddlers in Western cultures eat food with their hands (including finger painting with their yogurt and applesauce in the process of learning to self feed at around 1 year of age). My daughter certainly did and I do admit some of it went to waste as it went into her hair and on the floor. What's regarded as bizarre is the extreme measures Indian mothers go to push food into their kids mouths regardless of how many times they throw it all up (which in the long run, results in far more waste than toddlers playing with and dropping their food).

guesshoo likes this.