1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Balcony garden ideas

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by DGcreative, Mar 26, 2016.

1. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ladies

Posting after very long time.

I have recently shifted to my new home & need your ideas for making a nice balcony garden.

I have a small balcony of about 4*10 feet with good air & sunlight.

I want your tips & ideas as to what I can do with it. I have a hanging jhoola at one end of the balcony.

how can I use the rest of the area creatively? Also would planting increase mosquitoes? this balcony is outside living room.

Awaiting for all your genius ideas.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@DGcreative hi, after a long time.

I have a balcony that has a jhoola and some indoor plants like the money, adenium, some that thrive in shades, in hanging pots, as mine does not get a lot of sunlight..scratch that direct sunlight. i have the mosquito door and mosquito net on both the door and windows that lead to the balcony.

you can add the sweet tulasi, marigold both and lemon grass these are mosquito repellants and will be sweet smelling as you swing.

if you do get sunlight, you can add roses and other flowers too..

Remember @iyerviji aunty's dil's garden pictures in this forum. they were beautiful. so were @anukarsha . being from your place can add more pointers on what would thrive in a balcony..

DGcreative and iyerviji like this.
  3. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Try and setup a vertical garden something like the pictures below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anusuya and DGcreative like this.
  4. DGcreative

Thanks Shanvy & & chandrakiran.

I am sorry I dont regularly get to visit IL these days so replying after long time.

For now I have just added Tulasi, Money plant & a wild flowering plant from a local nursery.

Also I found roots to one stem in a Mint bunch that I bought & put in water. It has started to grow new leaves. Will plant it in a pot this weekend. Will try & get pictures.

Even I want to add a jhoola, but most space is occupied by my Son's tent house. will see if I can shift the tent in another balcony & add the jhoola...will keep you all posted.

Bye for now

DG

5. sowmya05

sowmya05 New IL'ite

Hey, I grow plants in my balcony well you can start with few beautiful flowers with terracottas terracotta or hanging pots and if you are intrested can grow vegetables too in containers I have tried them and about mosquitoes you got to take care of plants by not over watering.

Anusuya likes this.
  6. DGcreative

7. Willingham

Willingham Junior IL'ite

Vertcal gardening and balcony planter are popular for confined areas. 3030151005_50872af9d9.jpg