1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bitter!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jun 14, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Paranthaman finally went in and sat on the chair, sighing a bit louder. Seeing him, a bearer came down to his place and waited for the order. It was 07.00 A.M. in the morning and being a saturday, the hotel was crowded less. "One coffee with extra sugar!", he ordered, as his mind and tongue were already too eager.

He was a diabetic and had been on medication and diet for the past 3 months. The doctor had advised him an exercise regimen and his wife Lakshmi had been too strict on him. There was absolutely no sugar in the morning coffee that was served to him, that too, after a compulsory walk. In the evening, she was a bit lenient and allowed a 'little' spoon of a sugar substitute in the coffee that he had. He was a coffee addict and used to have a strong coffee with extra sugar. This sudden change was too much for him. He resisted first, threatened next and begged later, to no avail.

She used to accompany him on some of those days for the walk and insisted him not to rest even once and walk at a steady pace. His eyes would pop up when seeing that hotel on the way and he would smell that nice aroma of the coffee from afar. That day, he was alone and he went straight to the hotel. He drank the coffee that was a bit less hot to his liking, but it tasted so good. "Ah! Sugar! That makes the difference!", he thought. He went home and after a couple of hours, saw his wife coming from the pooja room. "I am going to drink a coffee. Do you want some?", she asked. He said that he would not. She went in, made a cup for herself and brought it when someone rang the bell. She left the coffee on a desk and went. He quickly sipped her coffee.

It was bitter!

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

That poor lady sacrificed sugar for her husband's sake. She does not want to enjoy what her husband could not enjoy. So much love for him! He was tempted to have more sugar sometimes...to him to resist the temptation was difficult and yielded to it. I think this experience of knowing that his wife is drinking coffee without sugar is very touchy and he would be careful in future.

But one thing rgs. Should she have to forego sugar when husband is diabetic??? I don't think so. She can take care of him but need not go the extent of drinking bitter coffee. One can love a person...but these type of sacrifices somehow I cannot digest. I know if a person is sick in the family we do not go for entertainment or eating delicacies...we don't feel like. But diabetics, hypertension are permanent problems. Spouse renouncing sugar or salt would be forever....why should she/he? Would a man do the same thing? I don't think so. Men are more practical and women sentimental.

Syamala

3. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

A nice story RGS. Hope the husband understands and respects his wife's sacrifice!!!
    But I also agree with Shyamala that women are more sentimental which sometimes let them appear as emotional fool in the eyes of men.Therefore, sacrifice should have a pinch of practicality in it.

Shruti

4. rgsrinivasan

You are right Syamala. She should not have done that. But, as you said it right, women do not hesitate in general to forego something readily for their dear ones. I have seen and heard about a few men too, having that nature. Besides, a sacrifice is something that is done with and not much thought after, I feel. If I brood on what I left for someone, then I never had left it at all in the first place.

Thanks for your nice feedback. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

I agree to your words Shruti. But sentimental fools are there in both sexes and practical ones too. And the intent of this story anyway is that he did not pay attention to her while she doted on him so much, which is quite common. Thanks for your feedback. Happy to receive from you after a gap. -rgs

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

I have seen many ladies doing that which appears to be some sort of an agreement with the Lord. How many ladies of previous generation we know adapted no meal in the night once a week for the health of the husband? How many decided to go to Mangadhu Amman's dharshan every week for several weeks praying for the welfare of the husband?

Rarely, I see a man doing that for wife. However, my uncle who faced a crisis when my aunt had fits during delivery decided not to eat on a specific day every week and he followed it for many years. I am not sure whether he still follows it.

Viswa

7. rgsrinivasan

You are right about women doing a lot many things for their husbands' good, Viswa. And I have no words to appreciate what your uncle did too. What I wanted to point out is that, while men tend to look at the matters of the world and getting moved by so many things happening outside, if only they pay a little attention to the kind of love and small sacrifices done by their own spouses for them, the world would definitely be a better place. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

8. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

9. rgsrinivasan

Very happy to receive yet another apt quote from you, Sunitha. Thanks a lot. -rgs