1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Making a difference!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by honeybee, May 12, 2013.

1. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

In the midst of stereo typed advertisements and commercials an ad with a message caught my attention.It's been a while since I have seen it, am a little unsure about the
    brand name.I think you must have guessed it now.. yes it's the stationery ad "Classic" (or class mate?) note books.

It goes thus...A skilled orator is referred to as the next "Obama" , a student brilliant in physics as the second "Einstein" ,a good dancer as the next "Michael Jackson".The children are a little disappointed and ask "Instead of the second somebody can I be the first ME?"

This Ad clearly emphasises on the need to be "unique" instead of simulating an icon.Most of us take pride when compared to a stalwart and in the process forget the fact that each one of us is unique and have our own identity.Maintaining one's individuality has become a challenge and we tend to get lost somewhere as life defines our priorities.We put our family's needs first and ignore or overlook our passions and interests.According to me,"doing what you are passionate about without compromising on the family front and Self Acceptance is individuality. "

Recently I met a friend of mine after a long gap and casually asked "what are your hobbies, your favourites etc" and was surprised to hear the answer.."I have no time for myself now, my children define my daily chart.I am mentally drained at the end of the day.. I have a missing feeling all the time and sometimes feel low and guilty too."

Her answer made me pensive.She's a talented woman and here she was sacrificing her individuality for her family's sake.I requested her to spare sometime.. atleast 15 mins a day to pursue her interests and see the difference.After a fortnight she called up and thanked me saying "I feel rejuvenated and a lot energetic now. I look forward to my ME time everyday."
    I realised how important it is for us women to break the monotony and refresh ourselves periodically .Self analysis helps in moulding ourselves:understand our
    strength,overcome weakness and most importantly we learn to love and respect ourselves.A woman who loves and respects herself commands the same from the society too.The minute we understand our merits and demerits and self realisation sets in, we become unique.

Sometimes for no specific reason we feel low,unhappy and miserable.I am sure all of us pass through this phase some time or the other.I have learnt to tide over this with the mantra "I am unique,I love myself".I recollect the achievements and goodtimes in my life and am all set to start things fresh.

I heard a lecture once when in high school...which emphasised on carving a niche for one's self with a simple example.It says..when you see a flock of birds what catches your attention? Assume there are plenty of black birds and a single yellow.The answer is clear.The yellow bird is the centre of attraction.Try to be different from others,be original,then you will always stand out where ever you go.

Like the ad appeals.. lets identify our potential and encourage people around us to do the same.In this highly competitive world children should be encourgeed to pursue their interests too in addition to academics.Who knows? Your child could be a prodigy too.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Happy to see you Honeybee after a long time with such a rejuvenate post. :)

Agree to it.

How well you have written it honey. The way you have stated it set me thinking as I find myself clashing between these two. I know how difficult would be. The passion / interests / something which makes you look forward often cannot fall in line with the responsibilities one has.. after all striking a balance is the life long learning. In the process, we choose some and we let go some. And these choices define how our life will shape and whether we regret it or rejoice is upto us.

Thanks for such a thought provoking notes. Keep coming more from your desk :)

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nice blog Honeybee. Prodigies could be born or made. And they are, because, they are left to what they could do, or, force themselves to do what they like.
    -rgs

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear pallavi
    Elated to receive your's as the first comment.Thanks a lot for the continuous encouragement by visiting my blogs and giving valueable comments.:)

I totally agree..clash between passion and responsibilties.
    Alloting some ME time surely helps in discharging responsibilties better.

5. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi rgs

Perfectly said.Prodigies shine when they are given complete freedom to pursue their passion.

Thanks
    Honeybee

6. scarletjones

scarletjones New IL'ite

great one to read I like these types of blog that are effective and make a great impression on readers with such great content keep updating such contents for better reading content..thanks

7. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Thanks scarlet jones for your encouragement.:)