1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Twisted!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Feb 21, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Tarun was saying 'Mary had a little lamb' to his mom Vanitha in the kitchen. His father Raju came and lifted him from behind, over the top of his head. Tarun laughed aloud, as Raju whirled him before dropping him. "Tell me dear! What gift do you want for your birthday?", Raju asked. Tarun's birthday was a week away then. "Can you get me a BIG icecream, pappa?", he asked. Raju nodded and then had to hurry to go to the factory where he worked.

He worked as a supervisor and had 10 hour shifts which extended to 12 at times. He had only the sundays to play with Tarun and never even went outside unless it was really required. Their little flat would be so big for both to play. Vanitha too would join them at times. They found it hard to manage, yet, Raju asked Vanitha not to go for work till Tarun grew up a bit. They lived a simple life and spent more only for Tarun. Raju thought about Tarun's request and wanted to honour it somehow, in grand style.

Tarun's birthday came. After giving him new dress and chocolates, Raju told both of them that he would take them somewhere, early in the evening. He came, but a bit later that evening and to their surprise, took them to the new and big hotel in the city. And Tarun was so happy and relished the icecream. That night, when they went home and Tarun was asleep, Raju said, "Now I need to find another job!".

2. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

Nice one rgs :)............. you have portrayed the parents' feelings well but how did Raju lose his job?:hide: did he lose it bcos of his son's b'day?:confused2:

3. rgsrinivasan

I leave it to the reader's assumption Dhivya. :)
    As usual, amazed and feel happy about your quick response. Thanks a lot. -rgs

4. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Seeing Tarun so happy, Raju wanted to find a new job.
    Well this his how parents are made, aren't they?
    Nice story Rgs..

5. rgsrinivasan

You are an out and out optimist. Aren't you Abs2911? Thanks a lot for your appreciation and feedback. Actually, I intended a sad end to this story - Raju lost his job and could afford to give that treat to his kid only through the money that he got that day. But your angle is delightful. -rgs

6. ipsi

ipsi Bronze IL'ite

nice and touchy story.....

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

My assumption is that.......

Raju wanted to look for a more paying job so that he can give more such treats to his son.

I am also an optimist.

8. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

wow RGS, what a twist and reasoning you have left it to us.. good narration sir. Hats off to you for writing for such emotional pieces within a short story.

9. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

i would say, Raju wanted to find a new job, so he could spend more time with lil Tarun
    :)

10. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Ipsi, for your appreciation. Happy to receive a first from you. -rgs