1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Zohra Sehgal - Woman of Will / Spirit of Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Pallavi4me, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

So, many of us must be wondering, who is “Zohra Sehgal?” Atleast this is what I felt for the first time, when I heard the name this morning.
    Here is her photograph:

View attachment 154335

Happy Birthday Zohra Sehgal… she is born on 27th April 1912, So you are right………. She turns 100 today.

And most of us remember her seeing in Dilse, Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham, Veer Zaara & a Fanta ad etc… But there is more to her and her life. That I wanted to share with you all and all this I came to know only today.
    After reading about her, I am at loss of words.. what would I say…………………………………

“SHE IS THE LIVING PROOF OF WILL & DETERMINATION”
    “WOMAN OF WILL”
    “SHE FOUGHT WITH LIFE & AGAINST THE RULES
    &
    If I have to summarise, I can say only one thing………………. SHE TRULY LIVED & LIVING HER LIFE EACH MOMENT… And How many of us are doing this???

She was born in traditional muslim family in Uttarpradesh in 1912

She has lost one of her eyes at the age of 1.

She lost her mother at an young age
    She wanted to become an actress and joined her Uncle in Europe and later went on to become a dancer.

She then joined Uma Shankar Dance group and toured all over the world and returned to India

She married Kameshwar sehgal in 1942
    They have stared Zohersh Dance Institute, in Delhi

She was separated from her siblings during the Paritition of India & Pakistan

Her family moved to Mumbai after marriage

Then she joined Leftist theatre group
    She was part of Theatre groups who played for Jail Inmates during Freedom struggle

During her stay in Mumbai she took part in theatre as well as movies.

& She lost her husband in 1959

Again she went back to Delhi and started Natya Academy

Then she moved to London in 1962 on Drama Scholarship

She played a role in BBC adaptation of Kipling story and Anchored for 26 episodes of BBC

She first appeared on big screen in “The courtesans of Bombay”

And later appeared in famous TV shows like – The Jewel in the Crown, Tandoori Nights and in many TV series

She was part of many a films in English as well as Hindi… latest ones being Cheeni kum & Saawariya in 2007.

Why I have narrated her timeline………………………

Just to show, whatever you loss in life…But never lose your life and spirit…..

Being born in a Traditional family a century back and taking up acting & dance were not so easy for her and getting acceptance must have been hard……… She was Determined to do what she wanted to do…

She discarded Burqa on reaching Europe (before 1930’s) …………………. Breaking the rules which she didn’t find right / sensible

From Europe she went to Japan in 1935 on just intimation through a letter to join her Dream troupe of Uday Shankar

(Right now with the advent of so much of technology, How many of us will do that on receipt of a single mail??.,)

She married Kameshwa sehgal, who is 8yrs junior to her and from a different religion in 1942 in the wake of resistance from family & society ------------------ She listened to her heart,

Even after losing her loved on at the age of 44, she didn’t lost her hope on life….

She pursued dramatics and made it big on international platform ………… Is it not Life is all about...Living your real self…

Till date, whenever she talks about her husband / her family members who were no more.. one can see a sad feeling on her face…. But she didn’t let that to deter her spirit………..

Then should n’t I say she her as a “Woman of Will / Determination”

Later she fought with cancer and continued acting after returning to India even at the age of 80 and people feel her enthusiasm at work.

She met her elder sister nearly after 40yrs in 1980 who were separated during partition….

Are these not enough for someone to give-up…….. but she didn’t… She fought against all the tough times and got critical acclaim

Just listing out few honorary she has received before concluding the post………..

She received Padma Shri, Padma vibhusahn, Kalidas Samman & honored with India’s National Academy for Music, Dance & Drama presented her with its Highest award, Sangeet Natak Academy fellowship for lifetime.

View attachment 154334

And also, she has been awarded an unique honorary as “Ladli of the Century”

All these acclaims she got without having a god-father / without being famous & rich

All she has
    • Love for the art
    • Will power
    • Spirit of Life…
    • Belief in her dreams
    Today, my belief and confidence have been re-established in the will power and once again in power of Self-belief after knowing about her.

As often being said…………….“If one wants to happen something with true heart, It will often happens,” provided you believe in your dream and could hold on to the heart despite of the circumstances.

I’m Completing this post with a Salute to her & to her Spirit…………. BowBow

2. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

Happy b'day to Zohra Sehgal. I've always loved her acting & her zest for life shows in her portrayal of characters. However, i didn't know all that she has gone through in her life. Thanks for sharing her story.

3. Pallavi4me

Thank you senzzation for coming & for the first fb.

Even I came to know all this about her, only today. And could not resist from sharing.

4. JeniFlora

JeniFlora Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this pallavi. Now only I came to know about her.

5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

A great presentation of a Great Lady fittingly in IL Blog!.
    What memories and emotions should have been there in this 100 years of real life thriller!.
    Thanks for sharing, Pallavi.

6. healthonmove

healthonmove Gold IL'ite

Even at the age of 80 she fought with cancer and made a strong comeback to Bollywood ... At 100 she is sill going strong, what could be a better example of fitness and Womens health. Happy birthday to Zohra Sehgal “Ladli of the Century”

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow...what an inspiration

8. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Yes, Pallavi, I would definitely say she is a woman of will. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Her life is an inspiration for many women.

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

It is a remarkable story and she is definitely a role model for many not only women. Being courageous, never compromise on the Will Power and determination to accomplish the goal are three important elements that she practiced perhaps every single day of her life. She reaped the benefit of that and became a role model.

Viswa

10. Pallavi4me

JeniFlora, Thank you so much for coming in. Belive me, Even I came to know about her only yesterday. I felt so good and wished to share here.