1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Wonderland

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, Dec 12, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

This would be of interest only to people who live in warm countries.

Our winter has started. It has been below freezing for several days now.

There is a pond behind our house with an island in the middle. During the warm months, the only way to get to the island is by boat. Some people do this taking a lawnmower with them and mow the island :)

Today, I probably can walk to the island. Just to make sure that the ice is not thin in places, I will wait a few more days.

Fishermen drill a hole in the ice and sit on a chair nearby and fish in the water underneath the ice. They stay on the ice all night sometimes. Some of them have tents with lights and possibly heaters. I never understood the attraction of ice fishing. I am a vegetarian. Even otherwise, one can probably buy fish quite cheaply in the store, without freezing oneself all night.

During the weekend, I lunge around mostly in shorts. Monday is our trash pick up day and trash has to be kept outside before going to sleep -- the trash man/van may come as early as 6 AM. So, in order to put the trash out, I have to put pants, shoes, coat, hat, and gloves on.

Jewish people end their Passover Seder (rituals) with the hope "L'shanah haba'ah b'Yerushalayim! - Next year in Jerusalem!". Each winter's beginning I look at my wife and say "Next year in San Diego" :)

tell each other "See you next year in Jerusalem" but this is just talk.

2. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

wowwww! Nice knowing about the completely new weather and the atmosphere, the culture that the people follow in two different seasons, and what do you experience during such occasion! To some extent, I felt like, I traveled with you in this cold weather seeing the ice built up land and the people fishing on it, sleeping in the tents, etc. It should be surely an amazing experience!!

The summer has started here but it has not stopped raining yet in South-east side of Australia. We celebrate Christmas in Summer! It is always the joy and interesting to observe the new culture and what do the people do at different occasions. Please keep sharing your experiences :)

Thanks for sharing this one!

Best regards,
    Anuradha

3. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

I remember having read in one of your blogs about the pond behind your house and the ducks/geese coming in there...

Seems to be a great idea to walk over the water like jesus did..(in this case frozen water..) or vasudev carrying little krishna across the river.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting dressed to keep trash outside ....ha ha ha....paavam sojourner

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

@Innerbliss.....loved reading your very interesting fb.....especially "Christmas in summer"....:)

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

ha ha ha.... you have to get dressed on weedend night for the trashwala:rotfl:rotfl

yeah... I understand the thing about jeruslam... we keep telling each other (my DH and I) that we will go to some exotic place or the other every year.... but alas.... that is just talk!!

Nice to read a cute blog in your unique writing style.

Akila

6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Its always just a ritual these days, wishing where we would be, next time. We say it for the sake of saying it only and continue to be busier in what we are doing. If only we unwind ourselves a bit....

Sorry Sojourner, liked this blog, but thought along the lines as written above. Good read. -rgs

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Thanks all. I am overwhelmed by the responses. I will post more comments later. [It is 5.30 AM here.]

8. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your comments Anuradha.

I feel the same way too.

I like to read first hand about "What is Belgium like? What is Indonesia or Singapore like? It doesn't have to be exotic -- what is Chennai or Gujarat like these days?"

Please write more about Australia. Thanks.

9. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai SOJO,

Always new culture, new people we will enjoy more and curious to know about their culture. Tks for sharing and i liked the last line
    tell each other "See you next year in Jerusalem" but this is just talk.
    Your talk should become true to go to Jerusalem at the earliest. My wishes and prayers
    for the same. Pls do share more of your ICY experience,