1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Weirdest Suicide Note And The Lessons It Teaches!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Oct 20, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A couple in Goa killed themselves. Suicides are dime a dozen these days. So why bother about another instance of the bravest act of the worst cowards? But this one is different. Way different from the rest.

They were in their mid-thirties. No, they were not in debt. In fact they had even alloted a decent sum for their cremation.

Their suicide note is perhaps the weirdest:

We have lived a very eventful and happy life together. We’ve travelled the world, lived in different countries, made more money than we ever thought possible and enjoyed spending as much of it as we could on things that brought us joy and satisfaction.

We have heard people killing themselves because they were not happy with their lives. Here’s the polar opposite! They are too happy and contented that they decided that enough is enough.

I am not going into the moral or religious issues. They have very clearly stated that it is prerogative to choose life or death and they have made their choice.

What happened? Were they too bored with their lives? Or were they afraid that they might lose something when they age? Or probably they thought that their good times may not last long and they wanted to quit when the going was still good.

Our making money, spending it, our enjoying the pleasure of life.. all these things go to make only the process of living.

These processes should serve the purpose of life which you will have to find out for yourself.

One of my friends has a car. But he will never take it out. Once in a way he will take the car to a gas station for fuel and air.

The fuel in the car will evaporate over a period of time. Then he will take the car again for fuelling. Every day he will start the engine and let it run for a few minutes.

Now he does not own the car. The car owns him.

On the other hand our cars serve us. They take us to our place of work, or for shopping or for a friend’s wedding.

But in his case he serves the car. The car is taken out only to serve itself and not its owner.

Each one of us have come here in this world with a specific agenda. Some of us are here to cook for others; some help others to be happy with their music, painting and writing. Some are good in bringing up their children. Somebody invents the i-Pad and makes millions happy. Someone designs the Dreamliners (TM)

Someone invents a better way of making cars; and some are there to cure people. And some to just offer words of consolation to those in grief. All of us are here to help.

In a way we are just cars owned by God. We should be useful to our Boss whose other name is love. If we spend our lives serving ourselves then killing ourselves might be an attractive option even if we are just 35.

Point well-made, Sridhar. But I don’t know the purpose of my life. Whatever I do ends in a fiasco. If I sing my neighbours call the police. If I cook my husband becomes sick. If I talk it always ends up in a fight. Why was I created?”

When I was working for my very first employer they made me wait for months on end before allotting me work.

Many days I’ll go to office at 8, sit there for 4 hours, go for lunch, sit again for four hours and come back home. I had to wait for months before they gave some work to me.

When I can wait for the orders of an employer who does not even know me in the first place, let alone love me, why should I not I wait for the orders of my Big Boss, who knows me inside out and loves me like mad?

So, Madam, if you don’t know your purpose, wait. Just wait for the Big Boss to speak to you. He surely will. You need to be alert lest you should miss his voice.

God is pleased by the angels who make and destroy the Universes at his command.

He is even more pleased by those angels who wait silently for an eternity for his orders.

Didn’t the great poet Milton say while writing “On His Blindness”, ‘Those also serve who only stand and wait.’?

2. kavithavel

kavithavel Senior IL'ite

Appa,
    Its been months, almost a year that I don;t login much and i don't read a single blog..let me be very frank...I haven't read any of your blogs since I left India...not that I do not want to, it is just that whatever lil time I get I just feel like relaxing and doing nothing more and yes ..lot of other things as well..I don't know what made me read this blog, but the right one at right time...I am almost in the same state of mind...there is no reason but I don't understand the purpose of life...I m happy spending time with kids here..but I feel most of the time i do nothing though household work and kids keep me busy..may be beacause I am so used to being working and being independent.
    Yes , I am waiting to here from kitta...

Loved the post appa...after a long long time read one from my favourite author.

Love,
    Kavi.

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Uncle, a very nice way of explaining things to us. even I do not know the purpose of my life. As per your advise, I will wait.

Raji

4. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

How beautifully said! I feel most of us have to really wait patiently to know the purpose of our life......and I am sure it is worth waiting.... for He knows best, who has created us. In the mean time we should continue to do our best in whatever comes our way.
    A great blog to convey how foolish some people can be.
    Love
    Malathi

5. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I saw this suicide news in paper and was wondering if what they did was right?
    They might have had more bliss in the their life ahead and why did they want to end it so soon? They could have loved each other more? Were they suffocated?
    Such umpteen questions was there in my mind..
    In a way your blog was throwing a little light but still Im not convinced! :)

God is pleased by the angels who make and destroy the Universes at his command.

Also, on the above sentence...can u pls elaborate...I am not able to understand the meaning! :-(

Note:
    Its after a long time im pitching in .....! hoping to b regular... Read your travelogues...awesome...! U can probably publish a book on that! Just my thought!

Regards,
    Jaya

6. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,
    How are you?
    It's long time since I visited here.. I am not going to say I was busy.. I was lost!

I am glad I found my way back here and the first thing I read was this post.. I am also one of them still waiting to hear from Him about my purpose in life..
    Thanks for giving us such a wonderful post!

7. gayuharini

gayuharini Bronze IL'ite

Sridhar sir,

After a long back logged into IL and i read your post.
    For past few weeks was lost in thought "what is my purpose to live. Unable to do justice either to personal life- my kid and also to official life". even "nalla vazhi kami kadavule nu manja thuni mudinju vachuruken"
    Now I think GOD has answered me to "WAIT" through your post.

P.S being into automobile industry i like this CAR example.

Thanks a lot sir.

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,
    It is so true...
    Nothing is in our hands He gave us this life only He can redeem it...

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    What went through my mind, while reading that suicide note, is, I think , 'alavukku adhigamaanaal Amrithamum visham pola' they got bored with all the good things they got while on earth. If they got that reason to serve people around, it would be much better. It is too late to think that, isn't it!

Excellent interpretation as always...this time, with cars and us and of course, Big Boss. Very true..let us wait and see, what is the purpose of our lives on this earth.

sriniketan

10. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

Dear sir,

whatever I would say, every post you make is a great one. How many times would I use the same adjectives and phrases. the posts may differ but the impact you create are always deep.

I do know one person who is exactly the same like your friend- the car owner.
    I used to tease him like ' காரை பீரோவில் வச்சு பூட்டியாச்சா? மறக்காம சாவிய முழுங்கிடுங்க’

what to do sometimes we don't realize what is more important.

I read the suicide case in news. May be it is just me but I do smell something fishy in there. His parents told the police to dispose the bodies saying they were too old to travel. he had not been in good terms with them for a long time.

I ask myself this question. Is there a human who hadn't realized the real 'I' in him who can just like that forgo his love for life and fear for death and hang himself??

Is that even possible?

”துறவு பூண்டாலும் கூட பலருக்கு ஆசைகள் தொலைப்பதென்பது கடினம். அழகாய்ச் சொல்வார்கள் தமிழில்
    புத்தருக்கும் கூட ஆசை உண்டு, ஆசையில்லாமல் வாழ வேண்டும் என்று. அப்படி இருக்கையில் உறவு வாழ்க்கையில் உலகை ரசித்தவர்கள் ஒரு நொடியில் ஒன்றும் வேண்டாம் என்று போக காரணம் இல்லாமலா இருக்கும்?”

என்னமோ போங்க...

This purpose of life thing..

I see everyone around me asking the same question without fail. Why even I use the same question to 'pulampify' when I am emotionally troubled(though inside i would know that I am being stupid)

I say..why is it so important to have a purpose? what does it really matter anyways?
    Now a days I think more about the destination of the journey than the purpose of the journey.

I understand what you mean by waiting for orders.

பெருந்துறவிகளும் ஞானிகளும் வருஷக் கணக்கா தவமிருந்து கஷ்டப்பட்டு கண்டுபிடிச்சு சொன்ன விஷயம். "சும்மா இருத்தல்”

ஆனா அது சும்மா செய்யக்கூடிய சாமானிய காரியம் இல்லை என்று முயலாமலே தெரிகிறது. அதைக் கூடா சாதாரண வரிகள்ள சொல்லிட்டீங்க. சூப்பர்.

Sometimes I feel like this little child who sees something interesting in the distant horizon. Nothing is important for the child not the knife on the path or the water spilled on the floor, it crawls its way to that object of interest with the eyes only on the object. For the child there is no purpose only the drive to get there.

sheesh..am I becoming mental???

ok..i guess this is already too long for a fb.