1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pick Pocket

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

I recall an incident during my early college days when I was given Rs.500/- to buy some books. My pass had just expired, so I had to buy ticket at the counter for going to Thane as the books were not available in Dombivli. I was not given any pocket money as such, and it was a practice to take money from my mother whenever needed. Apart from Rs.500/- I had Rs.10/- for buying railway return ticket. Inadvertently, I slipped in Rs.500/- into the counter and returned with the ticket. The clerk at the counter too did not bother to call me back. I knew of all this, only when I reached the book store as I digged into my pocket to find Rs.10/- but Rs.500/- missing. I soon realized my fatal mistake and had my face covered with both the hands as I was unable to grasp the gravity of the situation.

I was scared of the backlash that I will get back home if parents get to know of my carelessness. As it is, I was always rebuked for not studying well as compared to the neighborhood boys. I returned quietly back to home and said nothing for a while. I gathered myself and uttered guiltily that someone picked my pocket in the crowded train and I just lost Rs.500/- due to that. My mother listened to me sympathetically and I managed to get Rs.500/- again for buying books but not without doses of advice from mother, father and elder brother. I was repeatedly advised how to keep my purse carefully. This became quite a routine for me, whenever I stepped out of house. I was often recalled of that incident which never happened and advised to be safe. I never gathered courage to reveal the real sequence of events. Till date, my pocket has never been picked and my mother, even now at 61 never fails to warn me and recalls that incident.

2. Radhikarao

Radhikarao New IL'ite

HaHaHa That must be making you feel guilty for two things one for being careless with money and the other for not having the courage to tell the truth.
    Once in college i had shortage of attendece by just one percent.I could make up for it by paying penalty of Rs500.i happened to have the habit of saving my pocket money from a while.i could pay the penalty with out my parents knowledge...bcause i was scared of telling them.But had to tell more and more stories to make up for the missing 500 from my piggy.But that incident i never forget and it had always reminded me of the guilt we have..Its better to get scolding for one thing than bearing that guilt

3. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello suresh,

So, gone down the memory-lane and quoted an interesting incident.

'Till date, my pocket has never been picked and my mother, even now at 61 never fails to warn me and recalls that incident.':biglaugh

(so...reverted back to your 'classic' avatar; hope you had a wonderful b'day!!)
    :cheers
    Saras

4. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Ha Ha Suresh, are you still scared to tell your mom the truth?

5. sureshmiyer

thanks for your comments

warm regards
    suresh

6. sureshmiyer

thanks for your comments :)

cheers
    suresh

7. sureshmiyer

:)
    it is not that I am scared.

but so many years went by
    so i let it be

cheers
    suresh

8. cshmech

cshmech New IL'ite

Atleast now you wouldn let anyone pick pocket you! But who knows, you might give the wrong bill at the counter again! :p

9. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Thats very sweet. Though the pickpocket one made me feel sorry, the sequence of advices from your family members and you managed to keep your money safe till now - is sweet.... :)

10. sureshmiyer

hi hi :)

thanks for your comments

cheers
    suresh