1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Look Like Aishwarya Rai's Twin Sister -Parallel Paranthaman

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Feb 28, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

It’s Monday again. Time: the same 8 30 AM, the time most hated by working women.

You got up at four and by now have prepared coffee, breakfast for all, packed lunch for you, your husband and your two school-going kids.

It was only on Friday that your boss at the office shouted at you calling your work lousy.

You have not yet come out of it.

A few minutes ago you heard your mother-in-law lash at your work: ‘The kitchen is in a mess.’

The first sound that came out of your husband’s mouth when he tasted the breakfast was “yak.”

Now Varalotti stands at your doorstep and tells you, “You look exactly like Aishwarya Rai’s twin sister.”

“SHUT UP, VARALOTTI. WILL YOU PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE?”

You are beautiful in your own way. You are of average height, of wheatish complexion, have large eyes and a sharp nose.

Your face may not launch a thousand ships, but it can surely make a dozen heads turn.

But you are not 5’ 11’, you don’t have that bright Konkani complexion that distinguishes the former Miss World and you don’t have her blue eyes or her slim physique.

So when I told you that you look like Aishwarya Rai’s twin sister you just made a mental note (in font size 16 bold all caps) ‘Don’t trust Varalotti.’

I came to judge your beauty. Instead you judged my judgment. I was like a ruler (a scale) who came to meausure. Instead I was measured.

Now the learning

“Unless you have confidence in the ruler’s reliability, if you use a ruler to measure a table, you may also be using the table to measure the ruler.” (Taleb).

This doctrine is called Wittgenstein’s Ruler.

Only a very few are capable of being a good ruler.

When your boss runs down your presentation then show it to your discerning colleague. He might probably say, “It’s good Latha though there is some scope for improvement. Work on that. But what the boss said – that it is lousy - is crap. Don’t buy it. “

Without your husband knowing it make your mil to taste the breakfast.

“Delicious.” She might say.

“But Ma, somebody said “yak”.”

“That somebody is an idiot whose taste buds are dead.”

Now reverse the trick. In the evening when your husband is in a quasi romantic mood take him to the kitchen.

“How is it?”

“Spotlessly clean.”

“Somebody said it’s a mess.”

“That somebody is either blind or thinks that the word mess means beauty.”

Don’t let others’ judgments hurt you. Instead judge their judgmental powers. Use the table to measure the ruler.

Have a great week ahead.

2. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Great message, Sir :))

3. varalotti

Thanks a lot, Bujji.
    sridhar

4. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Dear Uncle,
    Nice message. But at times, we have to believe the ruler so as to improve yourself.

Raji

5. varalotti

Dear Raji,
    Thanks.
    I am not saying that we should not believe the ruler at all. That will make us conceited.

I am just saying that we will have to first find out whether the ruler is competent. And only then we should believe it.

sridhar uncle

6. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Great Blog Sir. Thanks for sharing :)

7. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar:

That was a short and sweet one on judgement. Much needed since most of us around seem to have an opinion on everything around.

Judgements and opinions are sometimes best when left ignored - my opinion:)

Sindhu

8. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

என்ன சார்? PPனு போட்டு blog போடுவீங்கன்னு பாத்தேனே?

This one was too good to as usual. நானும் என்னத்தைத் தான் எழுதறது? ஒவ்வொரு தடவையும் சூப்பரா எழுதறீங்க. compliments கொடுக்கற words எல்லாம் காலி ஆயிடுச்சு சார்.

ஆனா ஒரு விஷயம். எந்த பொண்ணுகிட்டயும் எப்பேற்பட்ட சூழ் நிலையிலும் போய் ‘ஏய் நே ரொம்ப அழகா இருக்க’ (you look like aishwarya rai..)அப்படீன்னு சொன்னா:bonk - அந்த நிமிஷம் சூழ்னிலைக்கேத்தாப்ல ரியாக்ட் பண்ணாலும் அப்புறம் ரொம்ப சந்தோஷப்படுவாங்க. அது உண்மையா இல்லையான்றது மேட்டரே இல்ல..:)

சுவாரஸ்யமான விஷயத்தில் சூப்பர் கருத்து. வாழ்க வளமுடன்.

9. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Varalotti ji,

Nice message Sir, within a crisp piece of writing.:hatsoff

Sir, Ungalai oru Icon-a ninaichu thaan naane etho ezhuturaen; dayavu seidhu en blog pakkamam vaanga sir. Ungaludaiya feedback ennai sethukikka uthavum.
    PLEASE:cry:

:cheers
    SARAS

10. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir

Super Mini Blog is so...exotic...from title to the end!

Malarin Karuthai vazhi mozhikiren...azhagayirukke...enra vari...pengalukku mikuntha urchaakaththai kodukkum...manathirkulle!
    Annaalum manathirkuhanthavarkalin judgement general scale-aaka perumbanmaiyaina nerangalil aakividukirathu!:)