1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Duddu Kodtaaraa?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, Feb 7, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

As I had written in the following Forum post (this was my first ever writeup in IL) a friend of mine had recently discarded her comfortable job in the US and moved to Bangalore, to attempt to introduce positive politics there, working with other people:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/general-discussions-india/117505-positive-politics.html

I was checking to see how she was doing and came across an interesting incident, when my friend Shan Damle took part in a nationwide march against corruption. To locate the link describing the incident here, you need to search for "positiveindianpolitics wordpress" and then click on the right hand side for a link for "Sakku".

Here is the incident, in Shan's own words:

A poor and illiterate woman began walking with me during the rally. The woman hadn’t understood the purpose of the rally or our slogans such as “Saaku Saaku Corruption Saaku”. She didn’t know the English word – Corruption – or its Kannada equivalent. Yet, she enthusiastically walked with us and I actively encouraged her. Well, my jubilation was soon dampened, when she whispered “duddu kodtaaraa?” (“will I get money?”)

2. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Sojourner,
    Remember that nothings comes for free. She is right in asking - duddo bekku. if any rally is taken out without some monetary gains no one rallies behind any issues. Most of the time politicians just to keep some opposition they start a nara just for heck of it.
    Why would you write this write up - you too need some form of recognition [ hana beku]???

3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Nothing comes for free Sojourner.

After all haven't Elders said : Duddu irrone dodappa? :rotfl

Even in Temples, the amount of Dakshina equals the amount of Prasad the priest gives you.

When pollies whoa re rolling in money keep asking for money, nothing wrong in a poor woman asking for the same.

Her's is need based whereas others are greed based.

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

My sympathies are with this woman in a general sense (as it was with the woman who wanted mutton). And my friend is fighting for women like her.

However, let me point out the obvious. My friend's group did not mobilize a crowd, using money. They did not ask her to join promising money. (She saw a crowd and joined.) It is ironic, to say the least. My friend was totally unprepared.

5. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I was reading magazine articles on the revolution in Egypt last night. The people fighting in the street are fighting so that others can be empowered. They are doing this at great risk to themselves. If someone came and asked "If I protest in Tahir Square will I get some money?", how incongruous will it sound? This is what my friends in Bangalore are facing.

Such a thing may well happen. However, my friends certainly are not going to give anybody money for marching against corruption. Nor are they asking people to "work" (i.e., march) for free.