1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Book-Release Function - II with Video Links

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jan 18, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I have a peculiar way of life. I deal with figures – I mean those figures in accountancy – during day and with words during night.

‘Being an auditor, how can you write?’ People have been asking me for the last fifteen years. I am tired of answering them.

Nowadays my answer to that hackneyed question is another question :How can you not write?

You might have seen some people in our weddings carrying a camera or a handycam and shooting whatever that interests them. Well, I don’t mean the professional photographers.

I mean those amateurs who want snapshots of everything – the cook lifting his hands, the bridegroom stealing some time to have a cup of coffee..

When you are armed with an eye for the camera, and a mind for the film you really want to shoot whatever you see.

Their shooting results in photos and videos; mine in books. That’s the only difference.

But it is pretty difficult to handle these two diverse professions. I remember seeing a martial arts demonstration in Chennai a few years ago.

It was not the usual ‘breaking the bricks with bare hands’ show. It was different. Way different.

The person had to stand on a wooden plank which was placed on a dozen eggs and then break the bricks in front of him. There should be enormous power in his hands and virtually none on his legs.

The idea was to break the bricks without breaking the eggs. For if he pressed his legs a little hard the eggs would break; and if the pressure on his hands was a little less the bricks would not break.

I need to be soft on writing and hard on accounts. Many times I mix up these things and mess up with my work in both the fields.

Agreed. You have come to writing. But how come you chose to write on spirituality is the next question. We understand your writing stories, novels and even motivational essays. But what made you turn towards God?

I am fed up with the present day spirituality. It has become more like pharmacology. What is Pharmacology?

It can be condensed into the form of a table where the left column lists all the diseases and the right, the medicines to cure them.

We have a spirituality table now.

Thus we have a God for coming out of debt;
    Another to win our love.
    A God to succeed in your ventures
    And another to get married to your beloved
    Daughter’s marriage delayed, there is another God.
    And for son’s campus, there is yet another
    There is one for promotion and another for life’s luxuries
    There is one for making money and another for winning the lottery
    There’s one for healthy living and there’s even one to retire without any hassles

[FONT=TSCu_Comic]கடன் தொல்லை தீர ஒரு கடவுள் [/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]காதல் கைகூட மற்றொரு கடவுள்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]காரியத்தில் ஜெயிக்க ஒரு கடவுள்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]காதலனைக் கைப்பிடிக்க ஒரு கடவுள்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]மகளுக்கு திருமணமா, மற்றொரு தெய்வம்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]மகனுக்கு வேலை கொடுப்பது இன்னும் ஒரு தெய்வம்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]பதவி உயர்வுக்கு ஒன்று பகட்டான வாழ்க்கைக்கு ஒன்று[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]பணம் சம்பாதிக்க ஒன்று பந்தயத்தில் ஜெயிக்க வேறொன்று[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]நோயில்லாமல் வாழ ஒரு தெய்வம் பணி[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Comic]ஓய்வு பெறும் போது வழக்கில்லாமல் இருக்க ஒரு தெய்வம்[/FONT]

My NRI friend had come down from the US. His ten year old son was visiting India for the first time. We all visited the Parthasarathy Temple at Triplicane.

My friend gave a five dollar bill to his son asking him to deposit in the Hundial. The son complied. While we moved away from the place the boy was still standing near the Hundial.

He was furiously tapping the steel box that contained offerings for God. He was clearly pissed off.

“What happened sonny?”

“Uncle, you see, I deposited a five dollar bill into that machine. I thought there would be some coke coming out, or at least some chocolates. See nothing is happening. In the US if I drop a five dollar bill you know how many things will I get?. India is a bad country, Uncle. Nothing works here.”

Poor boy! He thought that Parthasarathy Temple’s Hundial was another vending machine. My friend had a hearty laugh.

“You are no better than your son.” I chided him.

“How do you say that?”

“You never visited India during the last fifteen years. Why did you come all of a sudden and why all the way to this temple?”

“Well, Sridhar, to confess the truth, the CEO post in my company is vacant. I am one of the contenders. There’s a very brutal selection process ahead. I have come here to seek God’s help.”

“Your son is far better. He just tapped the hundial whereas you are trying to tap Lord Parthasarathy himself.”

When you are friends with a person for some hidden gain or for an ulterior motive, or just to increase your range of contacts, then there is no difference between that friendship and prostitution.

No other literature in the world, except ours, has stated the maxim with such abundant clarity. Our Thiruvalluvar roars, “A friendship forged for a secret gain, prostitution and theft are crimes of the same order.”

When a friendship with a hidden agenda is in itself prostitution, devotion to Lord for ulterior motives is only worse prostitution.

Then how should be our relationship with God? If we chant his name thinking of the gains we might have in this world or in another, it’s mere prostitution practised in a different form.

Let’s suppose there is a law which lays down that if you utter the name of God you will be killed. And then you say, ‘it is better to die than to live without telling his name.’ And you risk your life telling his name, that’s devotion.

That and that alone is Bakthi.

I wanted to tell this to this world and hence I wrote this book.

Jalaludeen Rumi is a human bomb. Don’t ever try to go near his verses without proper protective gear. I did that mistake and I am yet to recover from the shock.

This book was born out of that shock. Who knows what else will be born out of it?

This book is available in stall numbers 205, 206, 255 and 256 in this fair. The book costs Rs.200.

A friend told me that the book is pricey. What is Rs.200 today? Just 3.25 litres of petrol. If you had come by car from Adyar that’s the quantity of petrol you would have spent for this trip, assuming you are not caught in a traffic snarl.

200 Rupees is the cost of one and a half Ghee Roast Dosas at Saravana Bhavan, Pondy Bazar. It’s the cost of three fourths of a cheese pizza at Pizza Hut.

As a part of this book I have written a poem on death. I have boasted in that poem that I am ready to die any time.

But of late I want to live for some more time.

Of late I have taken up three major tasks and want to live till I complete them. What are they?

I am attending Thiruvaimozhi Vyaakyaanam classes of my Guru Dr.Arangarajan. I have completed 400 paasurams and there are about 700 more. That may take another 2, 3 years.

I am translating Kalkiyin Ponniyin Selvan. I have completed 22 chapters in the First Part. There are Five Parts and it may take more than three and a half years.

I want to live till I finish it as I have promised to the kind ladies of Indusladies.com to complete the translation. I need to live for that at least.

I have another dream. I want this book to be the first of a series of five books. I want to write the remaining four books in the next four years.

Then with Shri Kavitha Chokkalingam’s assistance publish all the five as one large hard-bound volume. Anyone who has a problem, who feels let down by their near and dear, (mind you, God never lets us down though we have let Him down a million times) any who feels difficult to cope up with life should be able to open a page at random and find solace at what he reads there.

Then and only then my mission as a writer will at least be half complete.

Thank you for your time.

Here are the video links for the function

Part 1/6

Part 2/6

Part 3/6

Part 4/6

Part 5/6

Part 6/6

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Bayandhe poitten...abbada paala varthell..... i thought of calling up Indhu luckily you saved that....
    I just loved the below verses

Man is a total selfish animal even with the our all pervading master we show our shrewd business skills....like Tirunelveli ke Halwa types. If once he shows his business skills cannot imagine where we will be..... Cannot understand when we will understand our lessons properly.

I don't find anything wrong with your friend because we have been thought the same way from our childhood and we have seen our parents, ancestors doing the same. Any problem / any crisis...mudinchu vai ma things will work out in our favour is the advice handed over to us. I just cannot understand this logic ...why cannot we surrender to HER unconditionally is my argument? That means our belief / faith in HER is hollow, we have a doubt on our own faith and more on HER hence all these kind of natak & tamashas go on.

OOps I am sorry Sri, I was supposed to give an fb on your talk and here I am going on & on on my favourite subject.

Romba arumai ya irundhudhu unga speech....wonderful. I have not seen the videos...cannot see the same from office. Will have a look at home and come back..

Sorry for the long & unnecessary fb.....

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridharji,

Awesome speech Sir. So now I know your secret wishes. I liked the last few lines in your speech -

any who feels difficult to cope up with life should be able to open a page at random and find solace at what he reads there

All the very best Sir. You will definitely be successful, my prayers and wishes are always with you.

I never read your English blogs of Vallamai Thaaraayo, I felt if it was too much spiritual, I would not be able to read it. But now, I would like to read it in Tamil. Can you please tell me where it is available in any shops or any online store where I can order.

I am yet to see the videos, as I am in office. Once I reach home, I will see it.

(@ Lalitha - I wanted to be the first to give fb and I really thought I was while typing the fb :-()

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,
    Yes, we all say we are not afraid to die secretly finding reasons to live more:rotfl. You have told it very beautifully n I find this blog a very thought provoking one involving various follies of todays generation.......I totally agree with you that in the name of Bhakthi we are indulging in prostitution of basest sort and unknowingly we do this prostitution in real life relations also like if we do have rich n powerful relative we are extra nice n take care not to piss them off inspite of them pissing us off at small n sundry issue for what????:biglaugh .........Thanks for pointing out these mistakes in us......

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    I am yet to view the videos but went through the speech.
    As always you bring in some points to ponder and make us realise our mistakes..
    One such is Pharmacology of spirituality...and another one is the Hundi...

sriniketan

6. vashini

vashini Bronze IL'ite

Dearest Acha,
    Hari Om. First of all I'm very happy to view the videos and listen to my achan's voice as before this I only able to see your visuals. I really wish I could be there at the function and listen and watch it with my own eyes, buy your book and share the great moment with everyone over there. Hmmm.... But guess I need to be happy as atleast I got the chance to watch it through You Tube. Thanks for uploading it at the You Tube accha. I have watch all of the 6 parts and share it at my facebook wall. All the speeches really invoke my interest to read the book and experience the journey myself. It is available in your blogs right? Will search and read it whenever i get a chance. I have been searching at some of the bookstores at Kuala Lumpur and Penang but fail to see one. If in any case, any of your books are available at anywhere around Malaysia, please let me know. I'm really hoping to own atleast a book of yours. My accha's book :) Heartly congratulate for publishing a valuable book Accha. Hope you will be publish more book in future. All the very Best!

7. vashini

vashini Bronze IL'ite

Forget to add.

That sounds 100% like an accountant. hehe... Just wondered.. Are you a writer in form of an accountant or the other way around... :)

8. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridharji,

Wonderful speech. Liked the comparison of man standing on plank with eggs beneath and trying to break bricks with your dual role of writer and accountant. I am sure, you have achieved success at both and would reach greater heights in your role as writer. Wishing many more laurels to come in your way

9. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Dear Uncle,
    Congrats again. Can you please tell me from where I can get your books in Mumbai?

It will be very helpful if you put the list of ALL the books you have written in some website.

I am thinking of gifting to my loved ones.

Raji

10. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Idhu dhan enn thangachi nu sollradhu....super adi kanne.

I was waiting somebody to point out this and you came ..... namma sridhar ippo oru bayankara sakku pokku solluvaru paaru.:biglaugh