1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indian women's love for "nighties"

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by MeenLoch, Aug 18, 2010.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Thank you for all the comments ladies. All of us agree on not wearing nightie outside unless there is an urgent need, but think of our house-mates. If they don't mind you wearing nighties then I would say, you are lucky.

Women are preferred("expected" would be a strong word) to be in women-like dresses and not tank like clothes. Although you get well-cut nighties, Indians still love their girls/women to be in sarees/salwars/ anything that shows her as a woman.

Do you agree ?

Like ms.Varloo pointed, why can we not wear nightie when half-clad clothes are accepted outside ? Isn't it really the culture we build ?
    If some of us are relaxed towards nighties till our gates, it becomes acceptable to us as a community.

Here is a little story - a couple here is US stays apart. Their marital agreement is such that they stay in separate houses. It's a crazy idea for Indians and I am not talking about this setting here, it was interesting that the wife claims that the thing she enjoys the most in this setting is 'wearing pyjamas whenever she wants'.

But for the onlookers I think many of us would slip into comfortable nightwears.

2. ARTHISURESH

ARTHISURESH New IL'ite

I too would like to wear nighties when at home. most comfortable. As others say, not when guests are coming. :hiya

3. pradhmi

pradhmi New IL'ite

dear all,

i love to wear frocks instead of nighty... i hate nighty .. really frocks will be good substitute for nighty.... just try it out

4. karpagamganesa

karpagamganesa New IL'ite

Hai friends,
    I also hate to see women with nighties around in public places. I like to wear it at home but not outside. Salwar is the best suit and I prefer a salwar in the place of a nighty.

G.Karpagam.

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I have come here late and read all the comments by most of the blog writers. I am from those days when nighties were not famous. I also agree that nighties should not be worn while going out. It should be worn only inside the house . better if it is worn in the night.

Now a days even ladies above sixty wear nighties during the day which some men dont like it.

viji

6. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Thanks for comments ms.viji, ms.karapagam and user pradhmi.
    Salwar is a good substitute. I like to wear cotton ones when i am home. That way we are pleasing both ourselves and people surrounding us.
    Ms.Viji, women over 60 wearing nighties. Can we give them some leeway ? They are old and comfort factor is even more important to them. Also with health issues if they feel relaxed in nighties, so be it. Personally I like my mom well dressed and prefer her in saree, but behind closed doors I want her to wear whatever she wants..

Frocks - Used to wear them. It shows legs right. Maybe long ones will be good in conservative setup. When you are alone, frocks are great, little more visually appealing too !

7. simrannkaur

simrannkaur New IL'ite

Hi all,

As Meena said these people are embarassing us in a foreign land. Me too hate to see women in nighties everywhere.

Once I saw a lady passenger travelling in nighty with a towel over it at the oman airport. All men were commenting on her nighty. It was so embarrasing for me to hear those comments. It was like shes at the hospital instead of airport.

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

@Simran - Yeah like I said, it'sm overuse of something and completely about where we draw the line, where we say 'NO' to ourselves !

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I saw this in a catalog ... It is a knit (like a banian) thing, with a largish neck. And it is not a nightie, even though it should be one. Rather cheap --> $13, so it is probably something one should NOT be caught wearing out, even if you can distract the onlookers with a bare shoulder that announces... "see, no bra-strap".
    Can people in Chennai be arrested for going out in a nightie ?

[​IMG]

10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

And then some forin people start to believe it is OK in India to go out in a one piece nightie:

Kate Middleton goes walkabout in India...

[​IMG]