1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A rainbow in the twilight!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Friends, I am more than sure, you all have a hint about what I am planning to write!!
    Yes, it is the role played by IL in my life.
    I had a near-fatal illness in 2003 and when I was convalescing, I was thinking that if God had given me a fresh lease of life, there was some purpose in it. But little do we realise the Larger Plans of Him!! I had a deep urge to do something enjoyable to me, but home-bound. It was at this stage that Ruby, my daughter gifted me with a computer. That I felt challenged, is an understatement!! But I thought, I will just try hard and learn it. My GDs taught me all the basics during weekends. Then I got the broadband connection finally.
    Let me tell you, thereafter, there was no stopping me!! I struggled, struggled more and understood the various ‘technicalities’!! Since my passion is cooking, I browsed the net for traditional south Indian recipes. Unlike now, food blogs were non-existent and I found there were very few authentic traditional recipes. So, at random, I started contributing to a few sites and a larger number to Tarla Dalal’s site.
    One day, I had an invitation from induslady asking me to become a member of a website she had just started. I went and enrolled promptly. But with hardly 100+ members, the traffic was absolutely minimum. In the next month, induslady sent me a mail, asking, if I can take charge of a full fledged cookery forum. Though it looked like a great opportunity falling on my lap, without my asking, I had my own reservations, call it fears, too. But, deep in my heart, I thought, this will be the best way to fulfill my cherished ambition of sharing my cookery knowledge with others.
    Friends, since then, there was no looking back at all. The forum flourished from the very word “go”! Induslady gave me the full freedom in my forum and before Diwali 2005, my forum became very busy. Since I have been documenting methodically, all my tried and tested recipes over the years, it was easy for me.
    One day, I just phoned Metroplus, Hindu and asked them if they can publish a write up about our forum. They interviewed me on the phone and within a month, the article came in the Hindu. This was in Dec 2006. That day, the membership started zooming. And in what a way!! Today it is close to 80,000. I feel like singing
    We have come a long way, Baby!!
    With the membership increasing, I was a ‘proclaimed’ senior citizen, traditional Mylapore mami et al and the religious forum was a corollary for me.
    But, blogs!! Believe me, I have never written anything all my life. I just wanted to give ‘blogging’ a try more for self-expression. It is amazing, how you all responded to by blogs so well! You all made me feel as if I was a full-fledged blogger!! I know the truth is far from that!! A friend always teases that I am a self-appointed moral science teacher!!
    In all my life, like everybody else, I have also prayed to God for Ayur Arogyam Aishvaryam…..
    But God gave me something which I never dreamt of – Global Love from ILites!! Now, I think, there is truth in the words, God knows best, what to give us!! I do hope you have all read my profile.
    I wish to take a l…o…n…g pause from blogs. With so many new bloggers, writing so well, I must remember that
    Old order changeth yielding place to New.
    I have completed ninety nine blogs and I am far from achievement-oriented.
    So, I have decided to ‘bow out’ – only from blogging and not from the forum!! Without sounding formal, I thank everyone of you for reading my blogs and sending replies.
    I strongly believe that all good things come to an end and I personally believe more in ‘graceful exit’ when the ‘going is good’!! This is because all good things in life do not last for ever!!
    Au Revoir!
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Friends, the previous post conveyed to you my decision.
    In this post, I give the reason for that decision. You all know that I am a senior citizen, but may not know that I am a septuagenarian as well!!
    Minor health problems have started ‘peeping in’ through my health window. Along with my regular household chores, sitting at the computer for long spells is becoming increasingly difficult. You are all (perhaps?) aware, how passionate I am about my cookery forum. I have started a new sub forum exclusively for step-by-step photos for cooking. That is keeping me on my feet (yes, literally!).
    Besides, I have covered a whole lot of topics in my blogs already! When I start writing a new blog, I have to go through my blogs and make sure that I have not touched upon that topic already!! The perspective may be different, but I do not want to be repetitive.
    Also, I love to give detailed replies to your valuable feedbacks. I just do not like to stop with a simple ‘thank you’. This needs time and concentration.
    Having never written anything all my life, your response to my blogging has been simply overwhelming! You made me feel, as though, I am a great blogger. I know my limitations, but realize love and affection know no boundaries!
    I plan to concentrate wholly on my cookery forum and want to make that a ‘one-stop-shop’ for all south Indian traditional recipes. Wish me good luck, friends!!
    The best is yet to be!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

No it's not fair. You can't do that to us. There may be a hundred bloggers and a thousand blogs. But nothing will be like yours. So no need to 'bow out' now.

Anyways I respect your decision. If we hold a contest or debate, Whether IL made a difference in Chitvish or Whether Chitvish made a difference in IL, I am sure that the second proposition will win hands down. What you gave to us was not mere information but sheer inspiration.

There were times when I'd feel like not writing any more. And then would see your forum or blog. Then my heart would advice me, 'See this lady! She has been writing so much, and at her age, given her circumstances, it's incredible. You are not even doing a fifth of what she does.' And then I will start working on my next blog, post or a serial.

Of course I have to sheepishly admit that I was not a very regular reader of your blogs. But would come in every now and then to read your advice, your suggestions and your experience. People have started looking for your fortnightly blogs with expectation.

I am sure that you have a lot more to share with us. About life at this age, about grandchildren, about handling IL fame, about having so many people idolizing you, about life and wisdom.

Well if it not too much for me to ask - well I have been asking many things from you every now and then - reconsider your decision to quit blogging.

Needless to say that if you stick on to your decision I'll surely understand.

And let me wish you the best of luck in your cookery forum. I know it's already the one-stop shop for South Indian recipes. It's something like Wikipedia of South Indian cooking and will remain so for all time to come.

May our Madurai Queen bless you and yours with good health, long life and happiness.
    love,
    sridhar

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Chithmam,

I knew your decision even before this post, but still the anticipation to read your blogs, every monday and then alternate monday has become a habit with me, and i am sure many would say the same.

I remember following you here, from you know where, and being here as a guest from 2005 before becoming a member in 07, those were the days of a little hesitation. today, if C wanted to join, i would say go ahead, that is the confidence i have gained.

IL has made me see the BIG PICTURE in every aspect of life, i cannot sum it better than that.

I know the effort that must be going into making it the one shop, and you are already there..so take it easy.. (konjam selfishness, me, C and S picture you with the great effervescent smile and cheerful ness and would not want you to tire out.)

all the best.

Pray to God for your health and happiness.

5. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithu,
    I wanted to post a reply to your blogs which have been a important part of many a Monday to me. Whether it was the simple happenings of life or introspection, whatever you wrote got awesome response because it came from your heart like all other things that you do, otherwise how can you be a role model to all alike, whether virtually or otherwise, like they say manasiga guru!
    What prompted you to take this decision you have clearly stated, but I for one will , though cannot call myself regular, would like to say here that your blogs will be sorely missed!!!!!!!!!!
    Signing off but Iam not sure what can stop me from another FB!

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mami,

Today happens to be a very sad day for me. Being a BR I was too proud in saying that "Chitvish write in blogs" but felt so sad to hear this news from you. Though You had mentioned to us before but I dreaded this moment and always thought the day is still far away....

Mami honetly you have been of a great help to us, maybe you are not able to understand or comprehend the same. But with your vast experience and knowledge, you defintely held our hand and there are times I have just unburdened myself in your section too and even fo that I used to get an unbiased and sound advice. Though from the past few months not able to come to IL frequently but still had the one relief that I could go anytime and leave my fb here but this seems to come to an end.

Mami, I can understand your problems too well but do not agree with Old order changeth yielding place to New. Any day, Old wine always taste better.

I humbly request you not only as a BR but also your dd to reconsider your thinking atleast do gives us the pleasure of your writing occassionally.

"The journey of Chitvish & IL goes hand in hand mami...and I am proud to be a part of IL and also proud to boast that Iam a friend of Chitvish".

I wish you all the best for your forum and also pray the almighty to bestow on you good health and long life mami...My hugs to you.

7. greenplanet

greenplanet New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mam,

Its sad, i was just getting used to reading your alternate monday blogs. But i am still very much connected to your recipes which me and my wife regularly try out . Your forum is a great noble work. We will be very happy with the success of the 'one-stop-shop’ . Your cookery forum reminds me of my mothers volumes of south indian vegetarian recipes written by her over three decades. I am too small a man but i pray and wish all the very best for you. Regards GP

8. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Chithra.... I wait 15 Days to cherish the wisdom you bail out on every alternate Monday!!!... But health comes first and so I shall now content myself with reviewing your old blogs..... WILL MISS YOU SO MUCH....
    I will now start interacting with you on the recipes blog.... maybe we can indulge in a bit of philosophy in cooking????
    I do read your recipes off and on though I'm not too much into south indian cooking... but your microwave section is SUPERB...
    will catch up you there as....
    Since I've opened the doors of my heart to you.... will never allow you to go out!!!!
    K

9. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitvish mam,

It was because of you that I got to know of IL. I was surfing the net for a Thulsi sloka which I had forgotten partly ( one that was taught by my mom who is no more) and came across your blog.
    Only a great person knows when to exit and that too, to exit gracefully.
    May God grant you good mental and physical heath to complete this new task on cooking that you have committed yourself to do.

With lots of love,
    Usha

10. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,
    The queen of IL, your sudden decision made every one a little bit unhappy. But when it comes the point of health we should bow down. I am not a regular visitior to your forum, theadmiration my DD has for you pushed me to visit your blog. Thereby it has become a habit for me to search for your blog.
    You have been doing a great service to all by your new inventions. May God bestow you with good health!!! Will miss you !!
    with love
    pad