1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Communication is not merely talking!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Our very existence in this world revolves around communication!!
    Unless any idea is communicated clearly, it simply becomes meaningless or nothing. Though not always a PowerPoint Presentation, it must be a powerful presentation.
    Our IQ, our smartness, high qualifications etc for our best product pale into insignificance for lack of effective communication.
    I hasten to add, just talking is not communication. A child starts scribbling which later develops into writing. A runner, only if well trained, becomes a sprinter. Creativity, if well trained leads to innovation. Thus communication is possible only with effective training, very often self-training.
    Learning to do a thing has no equal. For a woman, only training to cook makes her a good cook. A good salesman has necessarily to go to the field and then attempt to sell. The same way, only by training oneself in multifarious contexts, one can master communication. We cannot always go by the dictum ‘Silence is golden’! Talk whenever and wherever necessary, but effecitively. Over a period of time, we pass the test.
    Our relationship with our family and friends is determined by the quality of our communication. We have to first learn to communicate with our inner self to know what exactly we want and how we want to go about in life. Self-expression must pass into communication for it to be fulfilled. The enlightened thoughts of prophets and messiahs would have been lost to the world if they had not effectively communicated them! What are scriptures, if not the communication of those people?
    Mahatma Gandhi motivated the nation by his communication. The same was followed by Mother Teresa to reach the downtrodden with her helping hands. Who can be a better example than Helen Keller who was deaf and blind?
    A great marriage is possible not because if there is no difference of idea between the partners, but because they enjoy candid communication with each other. That way, they are able to look into their differences positively. Arguing and quarrelling do not help at all. A salesman can perform his best, not by mere qualification, but if he can present effectively about his organization and products!
    Coming to basics, communication starts with parenting. Is not a good advertisement, an effective communication? We cannot negotiate if we are dumb, but get a good deal only if we communicate effectively. Theatre, drama, music, interviews, counseling are all communication. Not to forget arguments which are an essential part of us.
    Last but not least, how can I not mention about prayers – our communication with God? What peace and solace we derive from it!!
    The power of human expression, human voice is matchless and everything revolves around communication. If not, everything becomes nothing! Very often we are healed of a suffering by expressing it to the full to a confidante!
    I fully endorse the quote:
    Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

chithmam,

all the three of us are very much down with acute viral, but had to check your blog as it is monday.

I endorse your quote with a caveat that is sometimes, the most powerful drugs cause the worst unexpected side effects...

Coming to communication, it is a two way street. An one way effort can never bring good results.

I don't have much to say apart from what you have already said.:thumbsup

only I am sharing with you, the quote of oscar wilde's quote on communication, that always makes me laugh.:cheers.

"I like hearing myself talk. It is one of my greatest pleasures. I often have long conversations with myself, and I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." - Oscar Wilde

3. manjunat

manjunat New IL'ite

A very well written topic.
    "A great marriage is possible not because if there is no difference of idea between the partners, but because they enjoy candid communication with each other. That way, they are able to look into their differences positively. Arguing and quarrelling do not help at all" - golden words Chithra :thumbsup
    Love
    Manju

4. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithramam
    Lovely blog as usual with a wonderful message.I also like the same quote....Marriage and life together is only possible if there is effective communication.Its true even if we say couples are made for each other.The thing is they are passing and receiving their ideas in an effective way.
    Thanks mam for this wonderful blog and waiting for your next blog

with luv
    Meenu

5. Chitvish

Sad to know that you are all down with viral! Thank God that Veda escaped!!
    Drugs do help, heal etc, but we also know some drugs can create havoc in the name of side-effects!! Hence the comparison to words is perfect!:)
    For a two-way communication, read my next
    reply!:-D
    I loved Oscar Wilde's quote! But thinking deeply or the entire thougt process in our mind, is talking to oneslef, right??
    Thanks & love,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

that I am married to the most non-communicative person! The atmosphere in our house has to be seen to be, believed.
    Its’ always, silence, followed by silence….. it goes on endlessly. Then I go near & shout,
    ‘ did you hear me at all?”. The blank look on his face will be followed by, ‘ I thought the plane is flying right above our house’!
    At times, there will be a milder statement ’Why is the crow crying endlessly today??”. Manju, so much for our marital bliss.:)

I don't deny that I have learnt to
    take advantage of that as well!:biggrin2:
    love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

We struggle, do a lot of adjustment, calll it compromise & create the feeling, (more to ourselves!:)) that WE are made for eachother!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.
  8. adhyayan

adhyayan New IL'ite

dear mam,
    yes good communication skills come with practice.In my opinion it's an art.Timing and understanding the person makes a big difference for communicating effectively.
    BUT sometimes it's better to keep your thoughts for yourself too as the listener is not ready listen.That's why timing is very important for communication and for some things we will have to wait for a long time for the right moment.So we need patience for that.It's a skill we should
    learn and cultivate.

9. manjunat

manjunat New IL'ite

Exactly Chithra! this is what happens in my place too!!!!

Exactly! thats what happens in my place too!!!!

10. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,
    You do have excellent talent to communicate through your write ups!!! You are absolutely correct.Self development, interpersonal skills, mutual understanding, mutual cooperation and trust is also important to set a complete channel of most effective and winning communication skills. The untold rule of communication is to use as less words as possible and still communicate as much as required.Same pinch, in my house the same scene is happening !!! He makes me feel I am not good in communication
    with love
    pad

sindmani likes this.