1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The Weight Loss Buddy.

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 20, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

During weight loss there will be times when you are as strong as a rock, no one can move you or as fragile as a flower anyone can crush, specially your attraction for food.

Your family and friends will keep telling you that eating once will not hurt. So if I am visiting 3 people in a week, I overindulge 3 times a week.

Usually the snacks and food offered are fried and extremely tasty. Sometimes it is very difficult to make the person in front of you understand that you are trying to loose weight.

How ironic, when you are fat people make fun of you and when you try to loose weight people would like to stuff you with the unhealthiest kind of food.

If they themselves need to loose weight they will feel conscious in your presence, most will tell you that you don’t need to loose you are good as you are, in short you will be pressurized from left-right-bottom-top to eat.

The best way is to find your buddies in this crowd of people. Tell them that you are trying to loose weight and you will appreciate their help.

My best weight loss buddy is my husband, not that he is interested in loosing weight but he keeps an eye on me always. When the plum cake at the supermarket, cries for me to pick it up and eat it and when I stand still admiring it and then finally picking it up to keep in my trolley, one firm hand always make sure to remove it and that firm hand is of my husband.

He would also let me know that I have over eaten and when we are visiting his people and where I am a DIL, he firmly stand by me if I refuse to eat oily stuff. Once the husbands says no, his relatives don’t push.

One of my distant cousin who is also overeweight was planning to call us for lunch. I told her that because it’s a family affair and because I am dieting I would not be eating any heavy stuff. Guess what when we went for the lunch, the table was laid with Naans, and butter gravies etc. All the mouth watering food not to mention loaded with calories. Icing on the cake was the desert that my cousin made. The bottom layer of the desert was white breads soaked with sugar and milk, then a layer of pressed ras gullas, then the layer of vanilla ice cream, whipped with cream and fruits. It was a chilled dish and seemed so tempting.

She gave me a clear signal that she doesn’t give a damn about my weight loss. I gave her a clear signal too, that I am serious about it, I refused to eat at all.

My husband is the only child of his parents. When were visiting his parents, my MIL was very happy and had plans for all lovely meals she would make for her son. I told her about my weight loss efforst and guess what. I arrived at the dinning table and there was the soup that I take for the meals and she also informed me that she has bought papaya for me. I was so happy, all through my stay with her she made lovely dishes but would call and show me that she is putting such small quantity of oil. I was flattered. She helped me in every step of the weight loss.

As you already know from my previous posts that my major weight loss happened when I was travelling, I somehow managed to stuck with my goal. We went to visit one of our elderly relative, the lunch was chola bhatura, I just had a little to please them but had to diet the whole day because of so much calories. It was no longer a secret from relatives that I was dieting. So next time when this lady called me for lunch, she gave me a call before and said “Beta you don’t eat the oily stuff, is it ok if I make dalia and dhal”, I was so happy to eat at her place that day. It was a healthy guilt free lunch which I thoroughly enjoyed.

You will be surprised to see the support coming from all levels. Some people will refuse to understand you and there you will have to make your decision clear but some people will go out of their way to help you.

Its best to let people know that you are dieting. I watched a video on youtube of a man who lost lots of weight. He used to wear the weight on his arm, so that people will look at it and if someone forced him to eat, he would ask them to help him in his weight loss efforts.

So go out, find your buddies. People who will not only motivate you to loose weight but also stop you from indulging yourself. It can be anyone your husband/wife, your kids, your friends, your parents. Give them permission to control you in time of your weakness.

For the hosts who insist on eating fried stuff, I politely say no and ask them for a cup of tea. They are glad that atleast I am having something at their place. I am a tea lover and that one cup I enjoy without any guilt.

Its your aim, your ambition, your journey, your dream. Others will have to understand that. If they help you then its great if they don't then they will have to listen a firm 'NO'.

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Only when we start looking for it will we realize there is support coming in from every other place.
    It is so sweet of your MIL to give great support:)

3. shivachoubey

Yeh Ami and it comes in all form and places where we least expect. My MIL is sweet :)

4. lovely_ambika

lovely_ambika Silver IL'ite

shiva, it is nice that your MIL gave you support.

ambika.

5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Ya I know how it feels when someone is trying to force us to eat by the name of hospitality...My MIL is like that...I started putting on weight right after my marriage and the reason was her...she is a great MIL otherwise except for that she used to overfeed me at night and I as a new DIL found it v.difficult to say NO...she used to ask me questions like 'dont u like the food we make here' n my DH used to join her...infact even after eating twice as much as I normally would have, she went on to complain to my parents that I was not eating well...wish I had a MIL as u have who understands...
    BTW, wanted to thank you for the rule of the fist...I started cooking less ever since I read your posts n it has been working well...since DH is also trying to put down weight, he is also ok with eating less and I have some remaining even after cooking half of what I normally do... many thanks to you :)

6. shivachoubey

With some people their way to shower love is to stuff the other person with food and sometimes we should let them pamper us. My Buaji (aunt) whom I love so much shows me this kind of love. She would make real tasty and heavy breakfast for me and would lovingly wait for me to wake up and eat. To say No to her really broke my heart but then I had to. Its good that you are in control now. I am so happy that the rule of fist is working for you. This also indicates that your stomach has started shrinking. Good show dear and keep it up. DO let me know of your progress.

7. MonicaBalaji

MonicaBalaji New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

I kick-started dieting from this year. but have never told my friends who called us for lunch/dinner. I felt, if i dont eat, they will feel bad. But after eating i feel guilty till today.Even couldn't even enjoy the food that day too.
    As you did, its better to tell them before, and say 'no' and be firm in my dieting. This is the wonderful message I got from your blog.

Thanks from the depth of my heart.
    Monica Balaji

8. shivachoubey

Thanx for appreciating my soup and also appreciating my post.

It is always better to inform the host about your dieting plans, if she says 'come on you can eat once', tell her politely that you have some health concerns and you need to loose weight at any cost. The host will not feel bad if you don't eat.

One good trick is to take 2-3 tsp of rice, top with crunchy salad(lots), mix some sabji and gravy and enjoy slowly.

All the very best for your weight loss. Have a great day ahead.

9. Ridha

Ridha Senior IL'ite

its really nice of ur MIL.most of my relatives r also like that.i think half of the problem is solved by itself when hubby keeps an eye on ur food eventhough he is not dieting with u.hats off to both u nd hubby.
    regards
    ridha