1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Zen Art of Resisting Temptation

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 13, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Once upon a time there was a great great saint and a very bad man. The saint decided to pay a visit to the bad man. The bad man thought with a devilish grin, that he would show the saint all the pleasures of life and surely change him.

Now, when the saint arrived. The bad man treated him with great respect, the best food and the best wine was served. The bad man showed the saint all his materialistic possessions and offered many gifts to the saint but the saint refused.

He then called for the most desirable woman in the town. He asked the saint "How do you like my life??". The saint replied "Its wonderful". The bad man was happy, he asked saint to spend the night with the most desirable woman. The great great great great great great great great great saint refused.

The bad man asked "Are you not tempted???". The saint replied "I am tempted but I know how to resist my temptations".

See, the only difference that separated them was that one knew how to resist or control his temptations while the other did not.

In weight loss you will have to resist your temptations. I am still the bad boy pretending to be a saint. Its tough but not impossible. You cannot run away from the things you like, you should train yourself to resist those things.

1. Zen Art of Resisting Your Favorite Fattening Junk Food -There is no point in trying to avoid seeing the stuff because it will come back and haunt you at night. The best way is to have encounters with the food.

For example, burger being my favorite. I will enter the joint with a full stomach and will sit and watch friends eat the stuff. Chances are that you will fail. You will just grab the burger and say forget it I am eating today. No problem, come back again and try again. Fail until you resist the temptation. Its not that I will go every next day to the burger joint but if I am with a group of friends I never resisted visiting such joint with them. It was my chance to train myself. Test me now, I can happily sit through my temptation meals without even wanting to taste them.

2. Zen Art of Resisting Temptations in Super Market - I was in love with pasta and would go in the pasta section and admire all the packets and end up buying most of the different kinds available. Back home this was my comfort food.
    If you think it is easy to pass the shelves stuffed with your favorite food and not even pick a packet, think again. Don't avoid the section. I trained myself to admire the packets and not even pick one of them. Chances are you will fail, you will think what is the harm in buying one small packet. No problem, next time if you are shopping try again. You should keep trying until you walk away without even picking up a single damn packet.

3. Zen Art of Being Great - The reason why this is called a zen art because you need to maintain your cool. You need to test your patience. You need all the courage in the world to sit there smiling while others eat in front of you.
    You have to control yourself from snatching away the food and gobbling it down your throat, in slapping the person in front of you saying 'Can't you see I am on a diet', in stopping yourself to start kung-fu karate in the restaurant kicking every fat person in sight saying 'when I can diet and not eat why the hell are you eating' and most importantly stopping yourself from kicking thin people without any words or reason.

When you have trained yourself you will become the enlightened one. You will be the master.

And as for the people who ate in front of you, they will bow to you. My husband bow to me every single day (I have still not forgiven him for eating 2 burgers in one go and that too in front of me while I was dieting).

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear, your blogs just pour in tips and I am too glad to find them. I have at least for time being mastered the art of resisting the temptation. No longer do I dug into the evening cake my friend brought, Once in a while when I am sleepy at office I go to the nearby supermarket browse through the shelf of biscuits and sweets , like checking what all do they have in stock, and then goes out without buying anything. If at all I am tempted by a lovely packet I ask myself “What does this do to me?” and my answer is “It gives me a free flab + empties my wallet” so I stops right there since I don’t want both to happen. As now as I have developed the resistance to snack I am trying to do it with chicken. Most of the days I end up ordering chicken for lunch. Now my aim is to reduce chick consumption to once/week. I am sure with the constant inspiration you are pouring out through these blogs I can achieve it soonJ

3. shivachoubey

Lots of hugs and standing ovation to you. This is the hardest part and you did it girl. You are the master, people will bow to you now. Please accept my bowing ZEN Master 'amihere'.

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shiva,
    a great blog with real cool tips. thanks.... i kinda failed with resisting temptation in the past two month while i was on vacation and now the damage is done... gained a couple of kgs... will have to get back into the old regime to get back in shape. thanks again for the nice tips.

5. shivachoubey

No worries, you will get back on track for sure. By thinking you will go back on track you have already started the journey towards success.
    Soon you will be the Zen Master. All the very best.

6. shivachoubey

Hi Israni, feel free to contact me on my thread
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/82366-a-weight-loss-success-story.html

I will answer all your doubts and questions here. At, indusladies we also have a private message option. I will try to give you as much support as you want. Have a great day ahead.

7. srsaini

srsaini New IL'ite

g88 article, i just cant resist sweets............I so need to reduce, but now i am gonna try again after failing for almost a yr now................

8. shivachoubey

Don't worry you will win for sure, keep trying.

9. vijayanagrani

vijayanagrani New IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

What a great ZEN Theory.
    I read your blog and at once I decided to apply it for next week. I am going to Mumbai for next week.
    On Jan. 26th all molls,shopping centers announce special discount on any purchase.
    I have decided to roam in all molls but "NO NO TO WINDOW SHOPPING."
    I will definitely post you the results when I will come back.

Love to you,
    VIJAYA.

10. shivachoubey

Great to hear this. I will be waiting to hear how you progressed in controlling your temptations.