1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kannagi and Seetha

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Jul 12, 2009.

1. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

An interesting post, narrated well. Yes. I too believe women should bring out their Sakthi When required.

But I do have a doubt when you say the last 2 ladies do not have statues. Do you mean Indira Gandhi and Sarojini Naidu. Their statues are very much there or have I not understood it properly?

2. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

dear manchitra,
    ooppss!! that was my mistake. I was under the impression that Indira Gandhi and Sarojini Naidu do not have statues in their name. thank you for correcting me. I shall make the changes right away.

3. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Very inspriring! Kudos to you for writing such a wonderful blog out of a song that catches the audience more for its music than the lyrics.

I've heard this song a number of times, and keep humming the tune, but I've never paid attention to the lyrics. After reading your blog, I heard the song again. You wont believe how much I've fallen in love with the lyrics now!!!

You are right, every woman must stand up for herself. Afterall, she is the building block of every family!

4. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Dear Suma,

Great blog, made me think about what kinds of women are idolized in our history.

I too believe that women should be strong and not take things lying down - but this attitude of theirs should permeate into the outside world, not just in affairs of the house. That's why I do not hail Kannagi as a feminist icon - she was a good woman, no doubt, but she turned a blind eye to her husband's affair with the dancer. When he repented, she welcomed him back, not even admonishing him..is that how we want to treat adulterers?

And one unfortunate thing I have learned, is that most Indian men do not like a strong woman. They will take the same behaviour from a male friend, but not from a wife! And men, do not think of women as equal partners - we have to prove it, in all spheres.

We may never have the physical strength of men, but atleast we can use our other abilities to even the score!

Cheers,
    Sowmya

5. Mallie

Mallie Senior IL'ite

Hai Suma

Very good and thought provoking write up.

6. jeya0110

jeya0110 Senior IL'ite

Hi Suma,
    Great blog.. I have heard the song so many times but have never noticed this part of the lyrics.. Very inspiring!!!

Regards,
    Jeya.

7. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

beautiful.
    thougt provoking.
    and also i love that song ;)
    ~maya~

8. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Really loved reading your post. Beautiful narration.:thumbsup
    Regards,
    "HAPPY"

9. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Dear swethakrishnan, sowmyapbhat, Mallie, jeya0110, maya, and happy, :hiya
    thank you all for your comments, I am glad you liked the article!