1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I love my self!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Jul 6, 2009.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Finest Blog of July 2009 - Runner Up!

We all tend to find some thing or the other wrong with our body. I am too fat, my hips are too broad, my nose is too flat, my eyes are too small, I am too short; my hair is too thin, and so on and so forth. It is easy to go on and on, criticising our body. We don’t for a minute think that we are criticising that great architect, the greatest artist of all the almighty. We fail to realise, that, as a creation of God, we are perfect the way we are, for God does not, cannot make mistakes.

I am not here to give everybody a pep talk, or a sermon,
    I don’t think I am an authority to do so. I want to express my views on a related sub topic. I happen to be on the leaner side, with a palm tree-like height to boot. So that’s a tall and thin physique that I have. I used to feel conscious about it, being ‘too’ thin, when I was little. However, thankfully I outgrew that phase, and today, I am quite proud of my height, and it feels good (in a naughty way), to tower over people with my tall frame and FTV like size zero body. Let me assure you all, before you jump to conclusions, I am not anorexic, I eat to my heart’s content. But I stay blessedly the same reed thin person that I am.

I get a lot of people, who tell me, “Don’t you eat?” which in my opinion is the most foolish thing to say. Don’t I eat? No, I don’t. I have a special super power that allows me to stay alive without eating. During my teens, this used to bother me a lot, but now I have come to deal with it in a different way. I tell the ‘concerned’ people, it is a lot healthier to stay slim, than be fat, which mostly shuts them up, as they are not exactly trim. This might sound mean, but there are people who decide for themselves, that I don’t eat, and proclaim, “You don’t eat at all”, without any knowledge of my eating habits, and this can be very annoying.

The other day, I was reflecting, how people judge me by my appearance. Had I been on the other side of the fence, and been a plump or obese girl, they would invariably say, “You eat too much, try to reduce your weight”. Such comments have a very strong possibility of adversely affecting the self esteem of girls and boys, especially if they are in their teens. Why are some people hell bent on criticising others? Do they think they have been entrusted with the responsibility of correcting every flaw in the world? Especially physical flaws, which are not in our hands to correct?
    Let us assume that I was to put on, or lose weight, depending on the situation. I would gain weight only according to the frame of my body; I would still be on the skinnier side. If I were to lose weight, I would not magically become a Barbie from a sumo wrestler; the skeletal frame would be the same.

Bottom line is that we should be proud of the marvel that our body is. And anyway, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. I think having a long nose is beautiful, you might think a small nose is beautiful. I may not like a long face; my friend might think a long face is good looking. So let us realise that we are truly beautiful ladies (and handsome gentlemen) and feel happy about that. And remember, the next time somebody is cruel enough to point out a flaw on your body, have the courage to believe that they are wrong, and tell them that you are perfectly happy that you have a body that is perfect and beautiful!

2. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Crazywriter,

Good thought ! Society has a tendency to judge our each and every move-be it weight, looks, dresses-

I agree with you on this-"Had I been on the other side of the fence, and been a plump or obese girl, they would invariably say, “You eat too much, try to reduce your weight”.

No matter which side of the fence you are-they will judge you to their heart's content-which shows nothing but the real standard of the people who judge, I think.
    Thanks,
    HAPPY"

3. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

thank you for your comment, happy, but I am wondering why you have kept your name depressed?!
    hoping that the cause for your user name is sorted and you change it to elated!:)

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Crazywriter,

Wow! That is a really good blog... enjoyed reading...

The wise ones tell us that we have to learn to accept and love ourselves before we can love others... which will lead to enfolding humanity in a vast enveloppe of love and bring us BLISS...

(Sorry if I sound too philosophical...)

LnBBHs,
    Padma

5. jyothyvarun

jyothyvarun New IL'ite

Dear crazywriter,

You said it. We should'nt bother about others comments especially when they say you are fat or thin. we know ourselves.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Suma,

Good thought provoking blog.

Self Acceptance is the first step towards accepting and loving others..

7. radha_chennai

radha_chennai New IL'ite

I agree crazywriter.even today i get people commenting on my physique and asking me if i ever eat.I wised up now and feel good about myself .
    radha

8. thozhi4u

thozhi4u New IL'ite

I too had a similar experience when i was teen.People and my relatives comment me i am looking thin and tall, like a crane which made me sooooo worried and depressed but now after having 2 babies im looking chubby and even now they are commenting me im a fat person, and this and that... how they maintain their figure and shape...hmmm...basically they are not worried about our physique, all they need is something to chew in their mouth and spit on others.How low they are!

9. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

Totally agree with you crazywriter...I did have some experience similar to yours..i did not care..because i used to like myself..
    What i hate is the 'calorie speech' people make infront of food...they want to eat ..but out of guilt they give a long speech before emptying the plates..i have another set of all-totally-obese family friend (everybody in the family) who visit us very often and complaint to my dh and everybody that i don't eat well..
    After reading your post now I know what to answer to these 'extreley caring ' people...

10. ahilaiyer

ahilaiyer Junior IL'ite

good blog
    reality is bitter