1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stawberry Hunting

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by manasakpt, Feb 25, 2010.

1. manasakpt

manasakpt New IL'ite

"Strawberry hunting":crazy
    I know many of you should be wondering what could this be!!
    It seemed the same unto me as well when I first stumbled upon this weird combination of words.
    "Ichigo Kari" in japanese or "Strwberry hunting" as it translates is nothing but fun!! You'll long for one such experience if I tell you what this is all about!!

We'd been for a trip to Yamanashi prefecture (close to Tokyo; landmark is the famous Mt.Fuji) a week before. It was a foriegn student's ski trip with instructors to train us to ski. Leave alone the ski part of the trip, which was more of a 'falling expedition' rather than skiing!!
    After the tiring 'falling all day' we were taken to this farm....a strawberry farm. These farms are exclusively maintained for "Strawberry hunting".
    I know many of you should now be impatient and yelling "Hay you!! Whats this strawberry hunting you've been talking about all along??"
    Here it goes....I guess most Indians (as far as south indians are concerned) would be taken away with the thought of mango trees in summer. Nothing tastes better than mangoes straight from the tree plucked by own hands...It just tastes heavenly with salt from the kitchen. If not mangoes, its guavas or some other fruits in India.
    Now coming to japan, there aren't any mango trees here. But the concept of eating 'straight from the plant' has also allured people in this part of the world. If not mangoes....there are strawberries!!
    Yes....strawberry hunting is nothing but eating...nopes...relishing strawberries straight from the plant. There are farms maintained for just 'pluck and eat'.
    You ought to reserve at these places beforehand and they allocate a part of the farm and time depending on how much you pay. Eat as much as you can in the given time. We enjoyed a continuous 20 minutes hunting...big ones and small ones....with some condensed milk...woooooo.....yummy....my tastebuds are wet with just the thought of it.
    Some of my friends picked up strawberries beforehand in the given time to eat at leisure.

The blog write is just not about the fun part of things...but one can clearly realise that nature has still managed to reach the coming generations in some form or the other through the hi-tech robots of Japan.

Wish India had some places like this for 'mango hunting' instead of cutting trees for living space!!

2. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi !
    It was a very intertesting article about an event I had never heard of. Eating Strawaberries straight off the plant, (With condensed milk, instead of the usual cream ! Slurp ! slurp !) sounds like a heavenly pastime !
    Yeah, it a good idea to be passed on to our Tourism Department. Perhaps we can introduce Mango Hunting, Banana Hunting and Coconut Hunting :)crazy) to lure more foreign tourists !!!!

( "Falling Expedition":biglaugh)

3. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear

it is wonderful blog about the nature. Ya. If we are having that in India, then there will be never ending huntings. You are lucky to had that experience. Thanks for sharing. I can feel yummy fresh strawberries in my mouth.

ganges

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Wow!!! What an idea sirji?!! Imagine similar mango hunting, guava hunting and all kind of fruit hunting trips in India. It will give us a lot of green cover and also first hand experience.Especially in this world where kids dont get much of that pluck-it-eat-it as we used to have. For them they always see it in shops.

5. manasakpt

manasakpt New IL'ite

@tubelight
    Firstly...I like your name here!:cheers!!
    tnx for commentsBow...lets wait till Indian tourism awakes!!:bonk
    @ganges
    Japan's abundant nature makes me fall in love with it everyday!!
    @amihere
    Bow

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

yummyyyyy...in US we call it as fruit picking...those gardens where we go to pick blue berries/strawberries or apples are amazing..its indeed a wonderful experience to pluck the fruit from the plant and eat! Fresh ones :) and I love to see the trees with full of fruit...lovely view

7. prabharamesh

prabharamesh Senior IL'ite

HI

Nice to know about your strawberry hunting experience. Here in US we had a similar experience last year when we went for strawberry picking in one of the farms nearby. The highlight is the way my daughter who was just 15 months old at that time, enjoyed it.