1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working Mommy Vs Homemaker Mommy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by enlightened, Dec 26, 2008.

1. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

Hey friends....I am just contemplating on chucking my fancy, big buck paying IT job and becoming 80% homemaker.Now, the remainder of 20% is for my social work and some freelance teaching that I would like to do.I weighed the pros and cons and thus thought-
    Being a mother to a frisky three year old child can be overwhelming.Now that sonny is growing up he needs mommy all the more...also, if you have some elderly person like a grandparent who would substitute the role of a parent well enough, that wouldnt be an issue.But here, my MIL is growing old and is lil interested in the kid's upbringing...Yes, giving up by lucrative job would mean a big compromise on my hugely independent economic status...but we would do just fine...may not be a luxurious lifestyle, but satisfactory enough...
    I have always regarded the role of a home maker with a lot of deference....Each have their own pros and cons....but this is really going to be worth it in the long run i think...:)...what do u say?

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

I heard that Renu - Landmark owner, sold her shares to take care of her 13 yr old daughter.

But, it is situation based. though I wish to stay at home, our financial position forces me definitely to go for jobs. But u are fortunate to enjoy with Sonny.

Wish you a happy days.

3. likemychai

likemychai New IL'ite

I highly recommend being a SAHM, at least for awhile. I stayed home for 3 years with my daughter and cherished every moment - nothing can surpass the joy you get from caring for your kids, and they grow up so fast. Take the opportunity while you have it, God only knows what will come later, so if you can do it now, by all means go for it!
    Best wishes to you.

4. dipti255503

dipti255503 New IL'ite

Hi, the experience of being a mother itself is a good1 n to see ur children growing n caring for them is a cherry on the cake. So grabe the opportunity when u have it, bcoz u won't get it again.

5. Srividhya Ramadurai

Srividhya Ramadurai New IL'ite

Hi,

It's really good you are taking this step of being at home for your kid.
    Look out for some working from home kind of jobs. If you were in a fairly high position, try to do some sort of consulting from your home.
    You can thereby not reel under the stress of losing an income. Have a secondary help of a grandparent who can aid you with the household and the kid.

best of Luck!

Regards,
    Vidhya.

6. parimala_80

parimala_80 New IL'ite

Hi,

You have touched the topic which is very close to my heart.I have the same history of giving up my IT job inorder to take care of my 3 year old.Though I have elders back in India,i couldn't take any of their help in bringing up my son becoz we live abroad.

I am not regretting even a single percent about the decision i made.I cherish all the moments with my little one and i take great pride in doing that.I feel the time we spend with our little ones never going to come back again.If you miss once ,you miss for ever....but work we can do at any time in our journey of life...so don't miss your chance of being with your lil one..enjoy and cherish those moments !!

Parimala.

7. Ranganayaki

Ranganayaki New IL'ite

Go for it! Being a stay at home mom is rewarding and sounds better for both your baby's and your health..

In some spare time, you may want to keep updated about your professional field.

Good luck and Enjoy!

8. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi enlightened,
    nothing can buy the precious time you spend with your child's early years they will remember that for life!!!!its invaluable.
    just go for it.
    you can always go back to work when he is big enough.
    regards
    pavi

9. ShardaSuresh

ShardaSuresh Bronze IL'ite

Have done both. Quit a lucrative job to raise kids and 8 years later, Am back working.
    In addition to the other benefits of staying at home (like being with kids etc) I also got some valuable time to sort out my priorities in life.
    Take the time to learn new professional skills, so you won't have problems when you return to the work force.

10. mrs.ram

mrs.ram New IL'ite

yes i agree with you....presently am also a homemaker with 2 yr old son......i feel that to some extent...its good to guide them.....yes right..
    but after thye come to higher class we can back to join the job but i feel not to go for hectic ones...but a 9to5 job..which will not affect the kids also...this is what i feel....