1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Deepavali--Then and Now

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by padmininatarajan, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Padmini,
    Lovely blog on Deepavali celebrations and preparations
    heralding the festival.Your photographic memory has captured all the meticulous details of making and packing sweets and savouries and other goodies to be distributed among friends and relatives along with the little diyas.
    It was a nostalgic trip reading your piece and I liked your positive winding up with a happy message of good cheer ,though most of us reaching the twilight zone of our lives are bound to feel despondent as we remember those years gone by and all we have now are evergreen memories as we sit in our empty nests with the children flying away and making their own nests in different shores.
    warm regards
    PAULINA

2. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear friend,
    You took me down the memory lane.
    Yes,many things associated with Deepavali have changed right from the way we used to make sweets ,now we buy umpteen items from well known shops like the grand sweet stallmaking sweets.Not only that,in the good old days,when I was a kid,I remember taking out the 'pavadai and chattai' got ready for Deepavai many times in a day and admire them, longing to wear them .Every one at home did that.But we keep buying new clothes,so, that thrill has gone.Even youngesters do not eat sweets these days,my four year old grand daughter says stylishly,when I give her a piece of sweet after much deiberation,"Sweet!Oh no Paati!".
    My maid says,"Amma,give me only savoury".Please do believe me.
    As you rightly said many things might have changed ,but the spirit of Deepavali and the joy of wishing each other remains the same.
    Lovely blog!
    love
    mithila ka nnan

3. padmininatarajan

padmininatarajan New IL'ite

Dear Mindi

Thanks for your lovely comments. Surely your daufghter will come to celebrate Deepavali with you or you may go to her home. We all are in the same boat now. Some years we are on our own. But our neighbours and other family members are there..yesterday my sister-in-law called us over and we shared our cooking and had lunch together and spent a lovely time! My neighbour's kids dropped in and chatted with me. Umpteen phone calls came and Deepavali day passed by.

AND this morning my daughter has just landed from Mumbai to be with us...and my friends and I are celebrating another friend's 60th b'day--girls lunch..isn't thst exciting!!

Enjoy yourself

PN

4. padmininatarajan

Hi paulina

Don't worry--when there si a twilight, the little lamps of hope and love light up and drive the darkness away...and next morning there is the glorious dawn..later it will become hot but still another day.

So revel in that and don't think of it as an empty nest but as a fulfilling launching pad for another family to set up its own unit.

Email and Skype have brought all of us much closer hasn't it. When I lived abroad every Friday my husband and I would write to our parents. Today my daughter calls us everyday and so does my daughter-in-law. My son sticks to the weekends!

Have a nice day and God Bless you!

Padmini

5. padmininatarajan

Dear Mithila

How nice to be called your dear friend! Thank you so much! You made my day...and I had forgotten all about admiring the new paavadai until it was Deepavali to wear it..so nicely put..Thanks.

This is the fun of writing in a forum like IndusLadies. We jog each others memories and live life all over again. We are also inspired to get on with our lives as it is today because somebody shares our thoughts, customs, habits and routines.

Ya--people are so conscious about eating sweets aren't they. I still enjoy my jangiree and rosogollas. And then I walk it off:)

I am glad that your househelp too is conscious of the problems caused by eating too many sweets. You must have told her that too!

God bless and Be Happy.

PN

6. vrinda

vrinda New IL'ite

Hi Dear Padmini,

Excellent write up so nicely described .:)

Regards

Vrinda