1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sir post…!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

eagerly & anxiously for something, is more enjoyable than actually getting it!
    In my young age, in Madurai, we used to call our postman, Post Mama!!
    We were very familiar with him!!
    Well, gone are the good old days with more human interactions!! :-(
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. anukvs

anukvs Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mami,

Enjoyed every bit of your blog. I remember the days when my grandpa used to wait for letters from my uncles in Bombay and we from friends, cousins. The timing of the postman and the kuchi icewala used to be the same.. and during vacation we used to pester thatha to buy us a paal icecream.. if we receive a letter that day.

My mom is one such person who still loves to write letters.

When i got married, though both of us stayed in Chennai.. just a few miles apart, she would drop a letter as a surprise. I still treasure some of the letters she sent me.

She was with me for a couple of months and returned to India last month.. and now my kids already have a letter from their Paati. My daughter.. just adores the way she writes and she has started collecting these letters. But she has stopped writing letters to everybody else.. but her grandkids.

Hopefully with people like her around...the postman will not be extinct soon.

Anu

3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithraji,

Hope you are fine. Your blog on the postman made me nostalgic.

We eagerly awaited the post man for our report cards in the months of May. Ma waited & waits for the parcel she gets from her Brothers.

I ado agree, the post man is a fast vanishing species. The post people of today are more like robots. Miss the Post uncle who insisted I open the report card in front of him. "Pass?" he would ask & to my yes, the response would be , "mithai khilao."

Small pleasures of life that we now miss. The post man was eagerly awaited by my neighbours. He got the $$$ from overseas settled kids.

Your post is timely Chithraji. In the month of Sravan, women eagerly await gifts of cash & kind from their maternal homes.

"What has your granny sent you?" has been replaced by a cold courier card.

Regards,

Corallux

4. Ranganayaki

Ranganayaki New IL'ite

Dear Chithra Ma'am,

I am below 30, but I enjoyed your post!

Even though I have not used the system much, I still hold on to the letters passed on during school times and even the cards. Those are among my treasures!

I had a big break until I came here to the US, where receiving post is still part of daily life, except that I don't enjoy it. RantIts mostly junk that comes. Except my magazines, I am hardly looking fwd to the postal van coming into our community.

Glad you brought up this topic, I was able to review thoughts.

Ranganayaki

5. Nischel

Nischel Senior IL'ite

6. Chitvish

Some people write, very matter of fact, some can cramp so much of news in a post card, some write making you feel as if they are talking to you in person!Once upon a time, I too used to enjoy writing letters, making them full of life.
    I am very happy, your Amma is continuing the tradition of letter-writing with her granddaughter. The latter is lucky! - my GDs are not!! :-(
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear mami,

I wrote a nice fb but it got lost :cry:.

I will write again what all I remember, Okva.

I thought I will be missing your post .........but innikku koncham time kedaichudhu odi vanthein. Abba enna blog super !

Both yours and Oviya's songs are very apt. I was a letter writing freak and used to write all my cousins and friends but was not lucky to get one from my dh like you. As I was married in Blr itself no letters from parents but when we were posted in a rural area i used to eagerly wait for these letters. As I had the habit of sending cards, I used to send to all for their birthdays and used to eagerly wait during mine.

I really miss those letters and the postman.

8. Chitvish

fast vanishing, the human touch is getting more & more lost suddenly.Well, Lux, the same old repetition of Old order------New!
    With Money Exchange & money Tranfer centres at every nook & corner, many may not know what a M O means at all! :-(
    We used to give a token commission to the postman. The only area where the MO continues, is the widows' pension received by many ladies in our areas.The regular postman was part of a family. But now that family itself has become "nucleus", where is the place for a postman??
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

does surprise me! Yes, even now, I do not have the heart to throw away the sentimental letters, emotional greeting cards etc which I have received in my younger days.The late post in the evening after 3.30 was called "late or evening delivery". Even those words are amusing now!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

since you came running here.
    So the post got lost in the postman's thread!!Rant
    There was something called local post within the city!! Usually death messages, inviting for obsequies were all done by that!
    Our cousins were our friends who wrote to us regularly! Now we have friends who email to us!!
    Some things in life are lost for ever, call them technological advancements!!
    Love,
    Chithra.