1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Have Money – Take the Seat!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Xth Students of Mumbai went through the grind in July 2008. The website which promised online admission did not function and thousands of kids who had become members of the website were found twiddling their thumb. Even I had helped few parents to register the names of their kids! With 70:30 format of admission and the court altering its verdict after every hearing the students who have scored 80% and more also had to wait anxiously for their names to be listed on the board of admission in colleges. Court had decided to give preference to students who live in closer proximities of the college to avoid traveling hassles and this will give them more time to study. There was chaos with parents crying at the gates of colleges as their kids with 80+ and 70+ percentage were not getting admission in the good collegesRant. Students were disappointed and it touched my heart too. Ramachandran one of my acquaintance was telling me, “It is so difficult to seek admission, it has been 3 weeks since the results of Xth standard has been declared but yet Suresh is waiting in the queue for admission in Commerce even after scoring 86%. Someone was telling me, to meet the Principal of ‘x’ college and pass on 80K to 125K and the seat will be reserved. I cannot afford so much Madam, his eyes were filled with tears”. I discouraged him from giving in to his vulnerable emotions (one day) and asked him to get his son to a nearby college with a kind word of encouragement that good students study from any college and they need not have special famous college to their credit. Suresh quickly told me, “intelligence is measured by the college you go to, isn’t it didi (elder sister)”. I was dumbfounded. Yes, amongst friends, neighbours, relatives and socials, our college identifies our intelligence. It has been so since many decades and hopefully will remain the same till the rich spread the crisp currencies across the table for the hungry Management Committee of the College to feel and pocket! Even today, I am asked from which college I graduated and from which college did I earn my other honours! The name of my college adds to my personality and intelligence too!

Oh! Dearies, I have to tell you that Shoma Meswani has managed to get a seat in one of the leading college of Mumbai for Commerce Sector with a percentage of 67 and neither she nor her family is keen of pushing her for higher studies. Mrs Meswani told me the other day, “I just want her to enjoy college life and with a powerful and rich father behind her, who can stop her from getting a seat in that (name withheld) college”. Shoma has stitched 15 dresses and bought 25 tops for her pants. She has also purchased two metallic pair of shoes to go with the trend. While Ramachandran’s son Suresh has taken admission in a higher secondary school and has started attending classes with uniform. Praying that the spirit of Suresh and his likes are still high and he they pass XII standard with flying colours too!

I cannot see this injustice posed on deserving students! Rant

Have Money – Take a Seat!Rant

Thank you gals for reading this blog. Computer Typing

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Mals dear, superb blog, you talked my heart out.Its really frustrating to see resevations in educational system.And reservation based on caste system is ultimate crap.I wonder many a times that god did a manufacturing defect while framing politician's brain :)...what else?? Its a sad state of affairs and we are all silent spectators to this.
    Good blog dear..hope the situation will get better.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

This is the BEST blog I have read in ages... Incredible.. my dearmost Mals.. you have outlined so well the realities of today.. It existed in my time too.. but nowadays its getting worse.. But in my experience I have seen all is not lost. Even getting into a mediocre college the kid can shine through life with hardwork and luck to favor him....do keep writing.. you rock!

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

A highly informative blog Mals. Sad indeed to see that money is claiming to buy everything. More sad to think about the future of bright students who have little money.
    So there are no "merit" seats anymore? Or are the merit seats way less than the "paid" ones? I am far removed from the chnages that have happened in India in the education sector, hence the question.
    Even here in the US, money speaks. But I do not think it is to this sad extent as it is in India. Ivy League schools here (MIT etc.) have a Alumunus quota. Also, if you have money, you can get in there. But I believe other not so moneyed people also get a chance for sure based solely on their academic credentials.
    May be one problem in India is our population explosion. Too many people vying for a few coveted seats? Of course, corruption cannot be denied.
    Sure, things were easier in my time which was not so long ago.
    SS

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Mals,
    It is the harsh reality these days, which the deserving students face...
    As you hope, I also hope that Suresh's spirits remain and come out with flying colors!!!!!

sriniketan

6. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Malspie,

It is heartwrenching. What is the point of slogging so much and scoring such high percentage? What is the message these kids will be taking home? Your last mention about how somebody with money and least regard for education got admission into a good college seals the plight of Indian education scenario today. I hope that these deserving kids keep their spirits high and choose some career path which still rewards merit. I hope that our higher education system goes through a make-over soon - it is bound to happen now.

Cheers,

Sumathy

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

My Dear Dal Aishu,

Education System in India was always a crap and seeking admission was always corrupted. In our teens we do not realize it, now that I earn and know the value of money and the harships put in to earn those crisp notes, my heart went leaping for Ramachandran when he had tears in his eyes for his son. Suresh is going to a school with higher secondary facility. I sincerely pray that he keeps his spirit of scoring high percentage flaming red and not let it down. Else, we will have more of Meswani's and less of Suresh in future!

8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

AC Sweets,

Getting in medicore college gives the label of being below average in studies and now Suresh is facing the pointers from the society! He can't keep telling every person he meets that he has made his dad proud it in Xth Standard. I cannot see Suresh in a school uniform, I remember when I met him after his Xth standrad exams, he had a glee on his face when he said, "Now, didi I will go to college and there will be no uniform". The young innocent heart is crushed by the cruel offenders sitting on the top.

Your presence in my blog always makes me smile. It is worth writing when you see your friend has stepped in. Cheers Sweety. C Ya!

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi SS,

Merit system exists and the seats closed at 90% for commerce. Science has taken a back seat this year and the seats were open for Science even in 75% segments. When I saw Ms. Meswani rolling on her couch, watching TV, shopping for clothes and least thinking about studies, my heart was heavy for Suresh. Has the college done any justice by letting out seats for the rich! Let us all pray for Suresh and his alikes and wish they do not give up the chase of high percentage in scores.
    In my times, it did exist and I also did not get admission in the college which I wanted, luckily I got in to a better college and am thankful to God for the friends I discovered there. Thanks a ton for writing in SS.

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Sri for joining me in prayers for Suresh. Thanks for blogging with me too.