1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Children and Failure

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by diva, Jun 5, 2008.

1. diva

diva New IL'ite

Did anyone watch the spelling bee finals last Friday? My heart went out to the kids who did not make it to the top. I have watched this for many years, but this is the first time I am watching it as a parent.

When I saw the disappointment in each kids eyes as they were turned away, my heart melted. These kids are good: may I add that I could only spell 1% of the words correctly?

To be so good and come so far and not reach the top - very sad. I was for a moment inclined to think that I want my kids to be average and not experience the disappointment of failing, but then rectified myself. If our own Induslady had given into complacency and not been a risk-taker, we would not have had this wonderful form.

And they are kids, right? The world is open to them. It would be different if adults tried hard and failed at something - time is not on our side. But for kids, all the options are out there.

My heartfelt best wishes for very kid who participated and did his/her best.

2. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Diva,

I missed it. When was it aired and is there a repeat telecast? Would love to watch it... Kids are amazing... Their memory power and their flair dazzle me. And I know our hearts bleed for the ones who don't make it to the top... But, I think the very fact that they are there to compete shows just how good they are.

3. diva

diva New IL'ite

Twinsmom,

First of all - congrats. Don't know how you can manage 2 the same age!

The Bee finals was on Friday night. I bet you can see snippets on Youtube. The winner was Sameer Misra - kudos to Indian kids who always do so well. There were some funny moments too. Maybe the abc website may have something about a repeat air time?