1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Abuse Of Women: Will It Ever End?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

It is disgusting to see reports of females of all ages being abused in different ways, every day in the newspapers! These are but the few which get reported. There are millions of other cases happening every minute around the world. Nature has created all species under both the sexes and all of us know the margin that divides the two sexes is but very thin. Just a small mistake in creation can lead to so many other problems. We also know male and female genders are complementary and cannot survive without each other. Despite that, God in heaven knows why the male gender always acts bossy over the female. Not that men never get abused. Of course, men do get abused or even murdered by women. But such instances are rare and few and most of the time murders committed by women are out of the desperation and frustration that they undergo under the hands of those men. Alcoholic husbands, womanisers, sex maniacs or other criminals who continuously abuse their women sometimes are at the receiving end and get killed. The shameful incident that happened in Mumbai on 31st Dec. last year once again drove me to write on this topic, though some men feel I am biased and a man hater. Of course I am not a man hater. I love my father, my brother, my husband, my son, my cousins and a lot of my male friends. At the same time, I pity the women who are not as blessed as I am and suffer everyday. I reproduce my article published in the Deccan Herald recently and welcome your comments.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The other day I was traveling by BMTC bus. A lady passenger extended a hundred-rupee note to the conductor for her ticket and that was it. The conductor started abusing her left and right. She said she did not have the required small changes on her but he went on and on and started calling her names and addressing her in singular. He said she should not have got out of her house and got into his bus without proper change.
    True, he may also not have had enough coins of smaller denominations. But the way he expressed his problem was very indecent. The lady said he could have told her right at the stop and she would have got off the bus. Even at that juncture she offered to get off the bus. But the conductor would not stop. The bus was crowded and not a single person came to the rescue of the poor woman, except the author. When I tried to support her, the conductor started abusing me too.
    This is not a stray incident. Such incidents occur everyday in many buses. The moment the conductors find a pretext, they pounce upon lady passengers. On many occasions the conductors get irked if a woman demands balance due to her, as her stop is approaching. They expect the passenger to forget and get off. Then they start abusing the women and if the women react, as it is but natural, then they had it. The conductor starts saying things like, ‘these women wait to fight. They fight with their husbands at home and not contented with that, they come out and fight with the men on the streets.’ All the men in the bus enjoy such scenes, because that is the general opinion that people have about women. Come what may, they are supposed to bend down and bear the abuse and not revolt.
    One night I got into a crowded bus at Majestic and was very upset that when we were just about six to eight women passengers, men pushed us behind and barged into the bus till it was crowded up to the footboard. We neither had the physical strength to squeeze ourselves between tens of men nor the indecency to do so. I expressed my feelings to the driver and said why cannot people form queues and why such a disorderly behaviour, where women get overpowered by physically stronger men, that too at ten in the night.
    Immediately some men in the bus started abusing me verbally. They said women were fit to stay in the kitchen and they had no business to go out at that hour of the night. They said women had to be shown their place and snubbed or otherwise they will wag their dirty tails. All this from men who had occupied the entire bus and we few women did not even have enough space to stand. Right from Majestic to Yelahanka, these men loudly kept talking cheap of women and the other men in the bus kept enjoying the talk. Not a single man felt that the talk was cheap. Not a single woman dare support me for fear of being abused.
    When I blogged about this kind of verbal sexual harassment, a spate of hate mails were shot at me, calling me ‘man-hater’. This is the state of women in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Thousands of women have to bear physical abuses in public silently, because if they raise their voice, there is hardly anyone to support them. Instead people start advising the women to ‘behave’ properly and show patience. Not only in buses, even in offices like Banks where only educated men work, sexual abuse (verbal) is very rampant.
    I was working for a nationalized Bank and I have been verbally abused and hurt many times, though I was a very efficient and sincere employee, just because I used to support right causes. For instance, once I demanded that a waste bin be placed inside ladies’ toilets, as otherwise, women were flushing down sanitary napkins, because of which the entire sewage lines were getting choked often. Just for this rightful demand, I was teased and mocked at by men. They made all sorts of indecent comments about me and my lifestyle. They made a laughing stock of me. One so-called ‘gentleman’ Manager had the audacity to comment as to why a 45+woman was bothered about sanitary napkins. When such things can happen in a decent work-place, one can imagine what will be the fate of a hapless woman on the streets!
    No wonder the shameful incident of seventy men physically abusing two women took place on 31<SUP>st</SUP> night in Mumbai! This shows how most of the men have such dirty thoughts. Except the photographer, not one man stood to save the helpless women! Wasn’t there even one man in such a crowd, who respected women? How sadistic can men be! When every woman needs a father, a brother, a husband, a son and a good friend and every man requires a mother, a sister, a wife, a daughter and a good friend, why such an attitude? When will the society get matured enough to treat a human being as a human being, be it a man or a woman or neither? It is sickening to read about fathers sexually abusing their own minor daughters, brothers or husbands turning villains or pimps, friends taking advantage of intimate friendships and innocent infants also being raped! Where is the society heading to?
    Sudha Narasimhachar

2. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Having travelled in all kind of buses in India, I so agree with your observation. But I feel to some extent women also are responsible for their plight. They need to learn to stand up and raise voice. Crowd mentality is to side with dominant ones. I am sure if all those ten ladies showed courage to voice similar concerns in the bus, environment would have been different.
    I have seen that in Mumbai buses. I am actually shocked to know about 31st night event happening in Mumbai. Because as per my experience Mumabi is still the safest metro compared to all other metro in India. I have seen women uniting in Mumbai local trains and buses and giving it back to bullies. I guess for handling cheap crowd thats the best way.

For educated crowd, best way is inspire other educated meek women to come up and get involved. Do you think If gandhi could not inspire the crowd in Slave India, he would have achieved what he did. Its all about getting common man involved and raise up to the level. Society changes with each one of us with each little step.

Ria

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear sudha
    I do agree with what you have written it happens many a times but I feel what Ria say is right. We all the ladies should be strong enough and raise our voice or such things will never come to an end and today when everyone speaks of equal rights why should the ladies sit behand and hear to all such stupidity.
    I too read the news of 31st night that happened in Mumbai but i blame the ladies here when all of us know that such things are sure to happen on that day why do they risk they life on such cheap things.
    I believe we should try and keep ourself on the safer side ya in case someone acts smart I request the ladies to raise they voice to the highest pitch and see to it that the front person shuts his mouth.

4. srivatsa

srivatsa New IL'ite

Hi Sudha,
    Though they say men and women are equal, i strongly feel it is just words. We have proven ourself coming out and working like men. But what is the advantage in this. We are facing a lots of problems both physically and mentallly. Physically as out work load has increased both at home and at office and mentally right from our journey to office in the buses and bus stops. Once at office male collegues take every opprtunity to take over and say that females have some restrictions at working and thinking. Not a single day goes without a male trying his best to humiliate his female collegue though they are 100% better than them.
    When women have started going out and working supporting their families, how many men have taken an intitation to help their wives at home. How many give a thought about how secure his wife is while working out.
    No, as for me nothing has changed in a women's life from past generations. We have increased our burdens taking up jobs and thinking that we are inddependent. How independent are we? Are we safe? How safe are we travelling in the nights?
    We are not safe as long as we are women. I am not sure if we ever can see a day when a women can roam around at 12:00 in the midnight with out any fear. It happens in a country JAPAN( i have seen only this place). But In INDIA ...................

Regards
    Sri