1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Music My Passion -1

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Shanvy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Music is an art form that involves organised sounds and silence
    But for me music is love, passion, creation. music is magic. music is powerful healer and soother.
    I never learnt music through proper channel through a guru. but my love and passion for music has taught me a lot.

My dad thought music was not for me. I was forbidded from learning music though i sang for the school choir.

But my passion for it grew along with me. I have seen K.vishwanath movies a hundred times solely for the music. When i got married and after a year or so my FIL got retired. so whenever he had time, he used to quiz me do you know what ragam this song is based on...( like every other DIL will just keep quiet and nod my head.) and he will teach me, how to identify the ragam and all. The thirst to understand was being quenched by FIL'S craze for carnatic music. Our home was always drenched in some kalyani, hindolams.....

My DD was born. by the time she was able to talk, she used to put taalams. and sing along with dolayam and all.

I started collecting music for listening initially. then to understand the nuances. then to know the differences between the singers...

The initial song i learnt to identify was kaapi....

the famous song by Papanasam sivan.

P: enna tavam sheidanai yasOdA engum nirai parabhrammam ammAvenr-azhaikka
    A: IrEzu bhuvanangaL paDaittavanaik-kaiyil Endi shIrATTi pAlUTi tAlATTa nI
    C1: bhramanum indranum manadil porAmai koLLa
    uralil kaTTi vAi pottik-kenjavaittAi tAyE
    2: sanakAdiyar tava yOgam sheidu varundi

sAdhittadai punita mAdE eLidil pera

loosely translated
    (What sacrifice/penance did you do, O yashoda, that the omniprescent almighty calls you "mother"
    to hold the one(here krishna) who created (2x7) the 14 world,rock him, feed him.
    to the great envy of brahma and Indra, you tied krishna to the grinding stone and closed his mouth and made him beg for mercy..
    What the great sages achieved through penance and yoga, you achieved so easily (That is making krishna call her mother...)
    Omother what penance/sacrifice did you do...)

will continue............

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

yes shanthi,
    i think i am a comrade here for you, my life has been music, and i learnt all through records and tapes, when my mother took a keen interest i got three vadyars who got married by the time they finished geetham, and varnam was always getti melam for them, then i took latha and asha as my guru, and my took a different turn, my sorrows got dissolved in music, i learnt kamatchi kaamakoti peeda nivasini of d.k pattammal, from a record along with swaram and sang in one navrathri and became the reason for their daughter's music classes they fixed, thinking if only hearing could get someone to sing this way what a good guru can do...my life got brightened with music, though i lost hearing i persued it with more vehemance and it helped me through and through and all i can think of is music as it plays all those songs apt according to situatioon in my mind, yenna thavam is my favourite too, my uncle taught me vasantham bhavani varugudu paar in arabhi, for a competition that is also my favourite, unai sharan pugunda on murugan is also my fav, i could list a lot, and remember calling my first guru by a song as i never knew her name. the song was saketha rama /saketha rama, a wonderful episode which prema never forgot and went to kumbakonam after marriage...sangeetha gyanam bhakthi vina sanmargam..how true, one forgets their situation once you start singing..thanku for bringing the passion of music in me through this thread of yours..sunkan

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sunkan,

would love to listen to your rendition of kamakoti peeta nivasini....i love the song...

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Shanti,
    My mom sings so well she have had sikshai right from her 5th year of age. And she did her graduation in music (though she was forced to discontinue). My uncles also sing so well. My grandfather is so good in identifying the Raagas so immediatly. And my father and paternal grandfather also loves music. Though I dont sing much or could identify the ragaas, I could tell the similarities between the songs of the same raaga so well. As the saying goes Vathyar Pillai Makku, I didnot sit and learn music from my mother, but learnt it when she taught to her students and from the casettes and cds. I sing both carnatic and cine songs to my happiness and listen to them whenever I feel so sad.

Music gives me lots of pleasure whenever I am sad.

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi
    I have no much knowledge of music. But it is nice to know you have learnt a lot from your FIL. Hope I will get a chance to hear your lovely voice.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi rajmi,

Music is healer and soother. I have heard from veda's grandmother, some old rare songs..which she had heard and learn't during her childhood. again she could not develop herself because of grandfather..not having the passion...but she always says you learn music, it soothes you when you are down...and lifts your spirit..and happiness can be best expressed in singing....I agree with her....

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi Aruna,

You don't know how difficult it is...he will spin quizzes out of the air..but yes, his challenges have led me to recognize, and listen...more .....and i don't have a lovely voice..but you can hear to my kids singing. you are welcome..

8. suminanda

suminanda New IL'ite

dear shanvy' i t's very surprising to note that without learning music you identify raagas and all. wonderful.
    i also like music very much. listening to a beautiful song brings what a happiness...........isn't it?

in some other threads also i' ve seen your music posts.
    i have also learnt music a little. but don't sing now.god has gifted me with two daughters who sing very well...............suminanda

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sumi,

Thanks for peeping. it just started as a past,time, now is a passion..i can mostly identify the ragas...nice to know you have two gifted artists.....

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi, nice to your music passion.
    In my house, my mom, grandmoms on both the sides, my aunt all sing well. They also taught me music with a teacher and i came running back and told them i not going to go hereafter because that teacher told me that i should sing to the sthaayi she mentioned, which i did not.
    They taught me veena till my school years also continued till college years. In spite of all that, i can identify only 1 or 2 raagas, What a pity! shame on me! (poorva janma vasanai illai polum)
    My daughters sing, my son is also interested in such a way that when he was young, he used to make us listen to "yeppo varuvaaro' sung by Nithyashree, so many times, we had memorised it already.
    My mil and the 2nd co-sister sings and the 1st co-sister plays violin and learns too.

Sriniketan