1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

19 month old DS not talking

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by geekforu, Mar 16, 2016.

1. geekforu

geekforu New IL'ite

Hi ladies.

My son is in his 20th month now but he is not talking yet. He only says 'gaga' for cooker and 'eeetttt' for light. He also says baba for bat and bubu for bubble and sometimes thatha.He is very energetic and active and plays well. He points to things sometimes but mostly conveys with some sound if he needs to go somewhere to needs something. He observes children in the park and likes to swing. He also plays with us at times asking us to to swing him on our legs. He does some mischief and looks at us for reactions. His eye contact is good only when I sing some rhymes/songs. He is not attempting to say the words too. He started walking at around 15 months. I am giving him milk in bottle, can that be a reason for speech delay? I am getting scared reading about autism and other stuff. He walks on tip toes sometimes and flaps his hands if he wants something. But he understands what we say. We r bilingual. He waves bye bye and gives flying kisses and all but around strangers he is very quiet.Sometimes he throws a fit while changing diapers. For speech delay my paed says we can wait till he is 2 yrs old as most speech develops between 18 and 24 months. I didnt ask about autism. I am starting daycare for him from next week hoping it would help him improve his speech. Should all of us start talking in english at home ? I am so confused. My husbands sisters son was also not talking for a very long time and started talking very late. He also used to walk on tip toes. He is 12 now and doing fine. My MIL says my son will be fine too. But I am concerned. Should I check with a developmental pediatrician for an assessment ?

One more unrelated info : He has 2 hair whorls on his head in opposite directions. Does that mean anything ?

2. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Hi

I feel your child is fine, sometimes children take longer time in different milestones , and especially boys are a little late.Please keep talking to him, if possible sing to him and read books to him. Kids at this age are shy towards strangers. I will suggest not to panic. If he asks you something by pointing out, please tell him he will get it only if he asks for it, encourage him to speak, he will eventually do it

3. luckwaves

luckwaves Platinum IL'ite

Dear @geekforu,

I think you are over panicked and please please don't stress him on talking and let him enjoy his childhood to the maximum ... I can very well understand your fear but he is just 19 months ... I met a lady yesterday and she said her son started talking only when he was 3. And he was super active ...

See there are no red flags up to me according to what you have mentioned about your son ... Try to communicate with him a lot even if he is not responding ... Evdn my son (15 months ) is yet to start talking but I am trying to do the following just to motivate him

1. I started calling my hubby as Appa (so my son as started calling him the same ).
    2. I take his play phone and say hello Appa
    3. Whenever I show him something I keep repeating the same name for 10 times (carrot, carrot ..... )
    4. I try to show picture book of animals and try to imitate the sound ( dog says bow bow Etc etc ).

Give it a try dear... Please throw your thought about autism ... Just keep talking and talking and talking ....

4. geekforu

geekforu New IL'ite

Thank you Luckwaves and Lavanya30 for the good words. I will keep this thread updated as he progresses after a while

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When kids are in a bilingual environment, there tends to be a speech delay. As long as he is able to speak certain words, it should not be a major concern. If he is not talking at all then you should seek early intervention.

6. Lotusmarch

Lotusmarch Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies
    Though this post is long back, l like to share my experience here, my son is 30 months old now, he is normal typical boy who can speak very fluently, but in my case what happened
    1. He didn't respond his name till month of 14( though responded some time)

2. Didn't utter a single word before 18 months

3. Didn't point with index finger till 2yrs

Almost didn't attain any milestone at correct time, I was so worried read lot of post, went to so many therapy centred and so many phsycotrist, so so and do, but suddenly he started speaking like a boom, everything in place now

So ladies it is important to have an eye on the development but always never lose hope

Thank you

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. Lotusmarch

Lotusmarch Senior IL'ite

Sunshine 04 thank you

8. divyarao3

divyarao3 New IL'ite

Hi,
    My DS is 19 months old not talking a single word, blaberring in the morning when wakes up, not responding to his name, not pointing to the things he want, if he sees water and
    if he is thirsty he will drink otherwise he will not ask for water.When he was 10 months old he started to talk when we taught him like thatha, mama and Akka,
    he spoke Akka word till 13 months and after that he suddenly stopped talking.He started watching rhymes in iPad from 7 or 8 months old and we thought because of iPad is not talking and not concentrating on any words we say,
    we permanently stopped giving iPad at the age of 16 months.
    When we had an evaluation at 18 month old at Harbor Region Center, Torrance CA, they told us there is a risk of autism and
    suggested to go to Early Intervention program (ST, OT and PT)
    and the wait period is 2 months. We had a tour to the center where they give these therapries for the kids from 18 months to 3 yr old and looks good to us,
    but I saw some vidoes that initially they teach with signs for things like want more and name etc...
    I am worried does these therapies really helps to make my DS to speak? Suggestions please... Did anyone take these therapies before 3 years and see improvement?

9. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Do what your paed says, they see 100s of kids every day.
    I'm not expert , still as a mom, no screen time
    You daily talk to him sing songs, read books, take him to park, library.
    Enroll him to the therapy. It will definitely prevent further damage.
    Don't worry. Set goals for every month.

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Of course therapies will help with speech and development of the kid. Since some regression has happened that's why the dr has said the risk for autism.
    Many kids have flourished with early intervention