1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

19 month old baby not talking

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ritvikm17, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Misti, if you are in the US, you have a wealth of resources to turn to for this problem. There is an entire support system for children with developmental delays, and your pediatrician will get the ball rolling for you.

I'm not sure what power mystical juices will have to help your son speed up his speech development, but there are medical and other interventions that he needs. Please consult your pediatrician.

Here in Iowa, the program for children with developmental delays is called Early Access. Your state should have a similar program.

In the meantime, make sure you are engaging with your son at every opportunity. Look at him directly in the eye when you talk to him. Get down to his level every time. Speak loudly, slowly, and clearly. If you are a multilingual household, try to focus on just one language for now. You can always catch up on other languages later, when he becomes proficient.

Play with him as much as you can in ways that engage his listening and communicating senses. These Eebee Baby videos

eebee's on the go adventure - YouTube

are very useful for giving you a good idea of how you should be communicating with your baby. Note, I am saying YOU should watch them and mimic the behaviors when you play with him.

Also, limit his screen time. Watching TV, even educational shows, is a passive activity. It does not, in and of itself, encourage speech. He needs significant interaction with others to achieve this.

You don't have to worry, but you should do something. Be proactive in ways that benefit your son. Why hasn't your pediatrician done something already?

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Welcome to IL!

At 27months if your grandchild is not responding and speaking then I would suggest you to get him tested for hearing.Dont delay it,as it would delay the speech further.

I found a link where you can buy the vasa juice online
    Vasa syrup (Cough Syrup) - Vasa syrup (Cough Syrup) Exporter, Manufacturer, Service Provider, Distributor, Supplier, Trading Company, Jaipur, India

But still I would not recommend you to use it without a doctor's prescription.

3. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    My DD is 19 months old.. She blabbers a lot but she is not speaking much.. She used to speak around 6 words.... But she is not even speaking any word now.. Sometimes she says amma, appa,thatha..
    Im very worried now.. Im trying all the measures.. But i failed... Pls tell me any suggestions..thanks in advance

4. geekforu

geekforu New IL'ite

Hi Karthema.

How is your child now ? Is she talking ?